Thread: Ray Lamontagne - any fans?

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Ray Lamontagne - any fans?

Following the 'new releases'-thread, where this great singer was mentioned, I'm curious if more people are aware of this GREAT singer/songwriter.

It was this song that made me a fan:

According to Wikipedia, this guy decided to become a fulltime musician thanks to Stephen Stills' 'Manassas'-album. His first four albums are great, has a big Nashville-saus poored over the music, but in a good way.

But on his latest album, "Supernova", he suddenly prooves there's more to him, and he's changing colours! This amazing album has a great 'sunny' side all over:

And my favorite song of the new album, on which he sounds like a mixture between Jim Croce and Rodriguez:

Isn't this great, great music?

Thanks for posting. My wife’s Nephew (who is in his late 20’s) is a very good guitar player and this guy is his favorite artist, and even got to play with him once. I have been meaning to check him out, but for some reason have not. I am enjoying these tracks.

I'm a big Ray LaMontagne fan. He is an amazing composer/vocalist. The new one is very much in the Stephen Stills playground. Super.

Suspended
    That first song posted sounds intriguing,though I'm not too keen on how his voice sounds on that song.

The other two songs are less interesting, though his voice seems better on those.

Yeah, I've enjoyed quite a bit of Ray's music too. The "Be Here Now" you posted will certainly appeal to the prog-side in us, and is one of my favorites of his. I'm not as crazy about his new album, but glad he's doing what he's doing.

I've been enjoying Ray's music since his first album came out. Haven't gooten the latest, but it's on my must buy list for sure.

Yeah, I enjoy him too. One the above vid, Lavender, he reminds me of Arthur Lee and Love somewhat.

My wife loves him but really just from "Be Here Now". We have his 3rd album which isn't really my cuppa but it has a song called "Meg White" about, well....Meg White and it's pretty funny.

Love his voice. I have to be in the right mood to listen to him but he's a definite talent.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Check out Jonathan Wilson if you like the new Supernova album. It's in a similar vein.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Check out Jonathan Wilson if you like the new Supernova album. It's in a similar vein.
    I agree. "Gentle Spirit" is very beautiful. Haven't warmed up to his new album, to be honest.

Is he the bloke out of Dr Hook?
    The music was hot, but my baby was not.

I just purchased "Ooruboros", his latest release and it is truly excellent. Quite the progressive vibe. I had "Gossip in the Grain" but will give "Supernova" a try and also will look into Jonathan Wilson.

I saw him on Colbert the other night, playing the rocking "Hey, No Pressure". I gotta get Ouroboros.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've been playing Ouroboros all day and it's fantastic! Check out "A Murmuration of Starlings", very groggy in a Dark Side kinda way. I love this album. His previous one "Supernova" I like less so, but this new one and much of his older material is fantastic.