Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Band names...what were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Spock's Beard has to be the dumbest name ever for a band
    And the only thing I ever liked about them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Saga (do an Amazon search on Saga and see what you get)
    There were also a Dutch Saga, a Portuguese Saga and a Latin American Saga, btw.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Finding a band name is very draining. Especially when you want to find a cool name - and nothing sticks. I've heard that bands (Wishbone Ash) just picked two random words out of a hat, which sounds similar to Porcupine Tree, to me. Or maybe Steven Wilson saw that pic. That exact one!

Many things you want to use are already taken. And it's even worse now, because every 11-year old future Larry Fast is creating their own music in their basement under the name that you want to use - but they already have it!

And no name pleases everyone. As I said, most people get into the band's music then like the name. Alice Cooper never sounded like something I would get into, but "Love It To Death" and "Killer" was.

The name can follow the music.
    "can" - hey, that's a cool name! Peking O, dude!"

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    I've heard that bands (Wishbone Ash) just picked two random words out of a hat
    A lot of British bands from that era, particularly blues-based ones, seemed to choose names with that same scansion: Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, Blodwyn Pig, Savoy Brown. (Similar, but without the stress on the last syllable: Spooky Tooth, Chicken Shack.)

But "Fleetwood Mac" was taken from certain band member's names - or not?

Suspended
    I just discovered that there was not one but two bands called The Nazz. One spawned Todd Rundgren; the other existed only briefly before changing the band name to Alice Cooper.

Cat Mother and the All-Night Newsboys

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    As for Porcupine Tree, to my knowledge Steven Wilson has never revealed the inspiration for the name, beyond commenting that it was something quite trivial.
    I always thought the name was just a pun on "pine tree" - kinda lame but SW probably came up with it at a young age.

"The Books" always gave me trouble when searching. It's quite a boring band name as well.
    "μ-ziq" is a little clever but difficult to search, difficult to sort, and difficult to talk about - some say "mu-ziq" or "u-ziq"...its dumb
    "Yeah Yeah Yeahs" - thats just a hard one to say.
    "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" is both a terrible one and a great one - the original name is hard to spell and hard to say but the abbreviated "OMD" is nice. 3 letter band names like that are great - XTC and TLC are awesome, Yellow Magic Orchestra as YMO is double great because both names work well.

welp, enough about that
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Finding a band name is very draining. Especially when you want to find a cool name - and nothing sticks. I've heard that bands (Wishbone Ash) just picked two random words out of a hat, which sounds similar to Porcupine Tree, to me. Or maybe Steven Wilson saw that pic. That exact one!

Many things you want to use are already taken. And it's even worse now, because every 11-year old future Larry Fast is creating their own music in their basement under the name that you want to use - but they already have it!

And no name pleases everyone. As I said, most people get into the band's music then like the name. Alice Cooper never sounded like something I would get into, but "Love It To Death" and "Killer" was.

The name can follow the music.
    "can" - hey, that's a cool name! Peking O, dude!"
    It was great for me when I was a kid.

Me: "Mom, my friends and I want to go see Alice Cooper next Frinday. Is it OK?"

Mom: "Who is she?"

Me: "A folk singer, kinda like Judy Collins."

Mom: "Oh, OK, that sounds safe. Have a good time, and come home before 11..."

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Hatfield and the North - a road sign on the M1!
    Cool trivia: The sign was visible from the original Virgin store.

I nominate Horslips as the worst prog-related band name.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    It was great for me when I was a kid.

Mom: "Oh, OK, that sounds safe. Have a good time, and come home before 11..."
    Maybe that was part of the reasoning - never thought of that!
    "Send In The Clowns" does sound quite a bit like "Dead Babies" when you really think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Totally agree.

It is among my list of favorite band names, along with other unforgettable names, such as: like Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Poisoned Electrick Head, Electric Light Orchestra, Night Flight Orchestra, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Blur Oyster Cult.
    Electric Light Orchestra was chosen because it could have one of two meanings, either of which would be correct: it could mean either an Electric Light (as in a light-bulb) Orchestra OR the reader can take it as using "electric instruments" in a Light Orchestra format ( "light orchestras" were about 20 to 30-piece small orchestras that were popular in the 60s, particularly for radio and television adverts)

In the song "10538 Overture", the number 10538 was chosen as it was the serial number of the studio recording console

ELO's first album is eponymous but, in the USA, it is called "No Answer"...this is because United Artists (Harvest Record's US affiliate in the early 70s) phoned an inquiry to the UK label about finding out the name of the album. Nobody picked up the phone so UA's secretary scribbled "No Answer" on a notepad that the director took as a response........
    Last edited by klothos; 06-20-2014 at 02:04 PM.

And then there are the names that make you not even want to listen to the music such as Dogs Die in Hot Cars, Dumpster Juice, Pus in Boots, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I never knew if i (Spock's Beard) referred to Star Trek or the baby doctor.
    "Spock's Beard" was a reference to the bearded Spock that appeared in only one TOS Star Trek episode called "Mirror Mirror" ...however, it is a very popular episode and the Mirror ST universe has been reprised in Deep Space Nine as well as being spoofed in many US TV series, such as South Park (which featured a bearded Cartmen)

I happen to think "Anal Cunt" is a perfect name for that band
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post

Quick, name a song recorded by both Alice Cooper and Judy Collins.

OWB?
    Nope.

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Quick, name a song recorded by both Alice Cooper and Judy Collins.

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    "Spock's Beard" was a reference to the bearded Spock that appeared in only one TOS Star Trek episode called "Mirror Mirror" ...however, it is a very popular episode and the Mirror ST universe has been reprised in Deep Space Nine as well as being spoofed in many US TV series, such as South Park (which featured a bearded Cartmen)
    Which is why I said Spock's Beard should have called themselves Uhura's Midriff (which is also bared in the Mirror Mirror episode).

As for the Trek mirror universe in general, I always loved the episode where Quark and Rom had to travel into the mirror universe to save Grand Negus Zek. Rom practically had smoke pouring out of his ears, trying to figure out what was going on. And Nicole DeBoer looked hot in that episode too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    However, a certain band Placebo might have done a web search to see that there was a Belgian band callet that some 30 years before...
    Would have been nice if Trevor Horn and his buddies had done a similar search and realized there had already been an American band called The Producers.

And how many frelling bands have there been called Magma?! There's something like 5 or 6, at least, including an Estonian boy band, and just last year I think, another one turned up on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A lot of British bands from that era, particularly blues-based ones, seemed to choose names with that same scansion: Wishbone Ash, Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, Blodwyn Pig, Savoy Brown. (Similar, but without the stress on the last syllable: Spooky Tooth, Chicken Shack.)
    Jethro Tull was a real person!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethr...agriculturist)

Barclay James Harvest was also a random collection of words pulled from a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I took a particular history class in high school where we learned about Jethro Tull. At the end of the unit, we had to take a test, and one of the essay questions was "Who was Jethro Tull". Being the smart ass that I am, and knowing that I was gonna do well on the test anyway, I planned to write a paragraph about the band (though I barely knew anything about them at the time, apart from the fact that they had a song called Aqualung, and their lead singer liked to play the flute while standing balanced on one foot). But before I could put this plan into motion, the teacher announces that he's aware of there being a more recent Jethro Tull, and he doesn't want to know about that Jethro Tull, only the first one. Presumably, the teacher had run into the likes of me before and my smart ass plan wasn't all that original.