Thread: FEATURED CD - Tristania : Beyond The Veil

FEATURED CD - Tristania : Beyond The Veil

Now lissen up kidz ... put on your big boy briefs and give this one a chance.

Yes, it has a bit of death-style growling (lighter than most) - but be big and brave and listen through all that.

This is goth metal, beauty-and-the-beast styled progressive metal at its finest.

If you honestly give it a chance and still don't like it ... then I'll be very sad for you, but we'll understand

Don't turn this into another one of those pointless arguments about death metal sucks ... no it doesn't ... well I don't like it ... etc. We've heard it all. Just give this a few listens, and see if it works for you.

Per Metal Archives :
    If there was a single album one could use to describe the sound and atmosphere of gothic metal, it would be Tristania's Beyond the Veil. Tristania has made it their business to compose masterful gothic metal, and indeed they continue to do so 'till this day, however Beyond the Veil proved both that former member Morten Velend was the mastermind behind the band, and that this was their all time peak.

Beyond the Veil opens up with a very somber and beautiful section by Vibeke Stene, presenting the listener with a sort of peace. This is short lived, as within moments the listener is assaulted with pounding drums and guitars making way for Velend's beastly vocals.

Those first two minutes are enough to bring forth a state of rapture as the rest of the album unfolds. From the ass-kicking riff on the opening of Aphelion, the soaring choir brought upon by Vibeke in A Sequel of Decay, the seductiveness of Opus Relinque, meandering melodies of Lethen River, a fantastic duo performance by Velend and Stene on Angia, and ...Of Ruins And A Red Nightfall, all finally closing off with more intensity and soaring male choirs on Heretique, Tristania demonstrates their mastery of all instruments and song structures.

Indeed, all instruments are played to their utmost potential, and arranged and composed perfectly. There aren't any sections that are drawn out too much. Choirs, vocals, riffs, slower instrumental sections, all are proportioned perfectly, never leaving an overplayed feeling, just satisfaction, except in one regard. I felt Vibeke could've played a bigger part in vocals throughout the album. Her voice is too fitting to only appear as much as it did.

Definite highlights include ...Of Ruins And A Red Nightfall, A Sequel of Decay, and Angina. I've gotten a fair amount of disagreement, but I feel Beyond the Veil, the opener, isn't up to par with the other songs. That's not to say it isn't wonderful, but when matched up with the other tracks it simply falls short. All in all though, the album is the quintessence of gothic metal. Tristania emerges on top with this display of musicianship. Anybody looking to get into the genre, or needs assurance that gothic metal isn't the red-headed step child of metal, should definitely get their hands on this one!
    http://www.metal-archives.com/review..._the_Veil/424/

Regards,

Duncan

I saw them live a few years back, supporting Nightwish, and they were dreadful. Cliched presentation, and quite laughable in places.

Even with three singers they couldn't rise above mediocrity - the tall male singer had a decent baritone voice but spent more time flicking his locks and looking imperious, the female singer simply simpered and swooned, and the growler was a like a caricature of a wee S&M dwarf.

Throw in the typical chugalong riffs and dirge-like pacing, and it was a long 30 minutes.....

I like the album cover!

Growls? That's not prog, man...

Reminded me of Within Temptation, actually. Not bad, although not my usual flavor of metal.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Of all the female fronted bands mining this genre, these guys really did the least for me. Epica and After Forever are examples of much higher calibre "beauty and the beast" metal.

I just can't listen to cookie monster vox. Too cheesy. The female vocals aren't bad. The drums sound dreadful, production-wise.

This is a decent album, but I much prefer the first Sirenia album, At Sixes and Sevens, which was the first album made by Morton Vreland after he left Tristania following Beyond the Veil.

I think Tristania became more interesting after this, when the growls took more of a back seat and the whole thing became more goth-ish.