Thread: Farpoint's PAINT THE DARK...First review and some samples and links...

Farpoint's PAINT THE DARK...First review and some samples and links...

Hello all,
    Don't want to spam the board but the first review of the new Farpoint album, PAINT THE DARK, just showed up, courtesy of Pete Pardo and Sea of Tranquility, and we're just so excited we wanted to share it with you all. We personally feel like this is the best Farpoint album to date, and we are excited that Mr. Pardo seems to see what we were trying to do here...My favorite part of the review:

"... with plenty of richness and hidden nuances that crawl into your head upon repeated listening, Farpoint are so unique and incorporate so much into their music, that it's hard not to take an instant liking to what they have to offer."

Read the whole review here:

http://seaoftranquility.org/reviews....ntent&id=16285

And, if you want to hear some samples yourself, here are a few options:

The opening track, "Up to You," can be heard at our Soundcloud page: www.soundcloud.com/farpoint
    Another full track, "Part of Me," on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEb5aAhC_6U
    A video sampler of highlights from the whole album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfz5HyGUtbk

Plus, the whole album can be sampled (and purchased) at the 10T Records page: http://10trecords.com/artists/genres...t/discography/

It is also now available through CDBaby, iTunes, Amazon, Kinesis, and lots of other places...If you like what you hear, we'd be forever appreciative for your support in picking up or downloading a copy.

Lastly, if you are so inclined, please come "like" us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/farpointmusic

Thanks so much everyone, for the years of support and friendship, and for indulging me in this blatantly self-promoting post!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Ordered up my copy yesterday from my local disc dealer (Turn It Up!, right here in beautiful downtown Northampton) so should be in my hands by Tuesday. Looking forward to it and will share my impressions then. I tend to steer away from campling too much of a release I'm eagerly anticipating.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Ordered up my copy yesterday from my local disc dealer (Turn It Up!, right here in beautiful downtown Northampton) so should be in my hands by Tuesday. Looking forward to it and will share my impressions then. I tend to steer away from campling too much of a release I'm eagerly anticipating.
    Thanks so much! Please do let us know what you think!

I forgot to mention in the opening thread, you can also listen for a limited time at www.progstreaming.com

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

New review of PAINT THE DARK courtesy of Mr. Jerry Lucky...

www.jerrylucky.com/reviews-def_020.htm

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Now that I've taken the disc for a half-dozen or so spins, I'd like to add my voice to what should be a heavenly choir praising this album. A former list-member turned me onto Farpoint a few years back, and as an admirer of bands with male/female vocals in harmonic splendour and interplay (Mostly Autumn, The Reasoning etc.) I took to this band immediately, so when Kevin offered list-members a gratis copy of the "Cold Star, Quiet Star" release a few years back, I happily took him up on the offer. Looks like I'd missed some interim releases, but when Kevin announced the band's signing to 10T, whose distribution allows me to order their releases via my favorite brick-and-mortar store, I ordered up 'paint the dark' and it's been in heavy rotation all week 'round these parts.

The first track, the anthemic "Up to You", took some time to grow on me. Upon first listen, it seemed deceptively simple from a compositional standpoint. Repeated listens revealed the complexities of the arrangement (a strength of the album as a whole, with the use of cello, violin, mandolin, flute in arrangements which very effectively and creatively combine acoustic and electric instrumentation) and while this tune may not be the album's stand-out track, it is an upbeat start to this album of spiritually uplifting tunes (the Christian themes, while apparent, are subtly expressed, and certainly not a turn-off to this secular Jew!). The second track ("Part of Me") begins with a brief acoustic guitar/bass intro before Abby takes the lead vocals, leading into almost flamenco-inflected segment featuring acoustic instrumentation and some very catchy guitar lines and chorus. "Gone" is a lovely composition which also features some lovely acoustic-electric guitar and keys (the strings sound) interplay and while I tend to favor Abby's lead vocals, Dean's lead vox here serve the material well. An reggae flavor permeates the intro to the more uptempo "Half a World Away", and a sing-along chorus which also continues the Carribbean flair (I was waiting for the steel drums!) is a potential ear-worm. "Who You Are", a ballad which begins with Abby's voice pianissimo over a beautiful piano progression, then is joined by strings while the vocals become more plaintive and passionate in their longing for "saving grace" (probably the most explicit expression of Christianity on the album). "Stand" rocks out with great male-female interlocking harmonies and another catchy chorus; I also enjoyed the instrumental interludes featuring some found-sound electronica before the tune again rocks out, this time featuring Dean's serviceable vocals before Abby joins in. The album's "epic", the 12:15 "Vision Quest" begins with a great instrumental introduction, very symphonic and very 'eavy, with a vaguely Middle-Eastern vibe (a la "Kashmir"), picking up steam like a train travelling across a stormy tundra, before entering a more Floydian/Gilmouresque section, before finally pulling into a Kansas-like section a featuring the male-female harmonies of the chorus. A more pastoral acoustic section featuring beautiful flute and guitar interplay is next in this very catchy tune, whose twelve minutes fly by quickly and seems emblamatic of the numerous influences Farpoint are able to incorporate seemingly seamlessly in their unique fusion. Abby is featured on "One More Sunset", which to my ears could be an Iona offering (another Christian band this Jew loves), a mellow ballad featuring some haunting violin in the bridge. The album closes with the brief up-tempo "Power", aptly-named as it seeks lyrically to call upon the "divine power" of music to unite us all. In all, an uplifting, creatively-arranged slice of subtly Christian symphonic prog which meshes acoustic and electric instrumentation and male/female vocals in a melange that works wonderfully for this listener. The folk-flavored, Americana-tinged arrangements and vocals mark this band as uniquely American, an achievement of which they should be proud.

Wow! Thanks SO much for those kind words! Do you mind if I copy and share that on our Facebook page?

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Wow! Thanks SO much for those kind words! Do you mind if I copy and share that on our Facebook page?
    Not at all!

Another great review of PAINT THE DARK, courtesy of Jon Neudorf at Sea of Tranquility...

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=16285

"The more I listen to Paint the Dark the more its intricacies are revealed... superbly crafted melodies and an overall addictive quality..."

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Jon Neudorf
    Really enjoyed it Kevin. Thanks so much.

Regards,
    Jon

We've gotten some great reviews of the new album, but I must admit I'm still scratching my head a bit at all the references seeming to imply it is only "mellow" and "country influenced."
    Thoughts?

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Another cool review of PAINT THE DARK. Thanks to Brian McAllister of The Progressive Aspect!

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...aint-the-dark/

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I have read all the reviews posted, as well as having added my own. I haven't gone back and re-read all the reviews (that latest is a good 'un), but iirc, none of the reviews stated the album was "only mellow or country-influenced". Indeed, the reviews, including mine, all seem to stress the effective blending of seemingly disparate elements into a cohesive whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Nice work gentlemen (and lady!)

I have read all the reviews posted, as well as having added my own. I haven't gone back and re-read all the reviews (that latest is a good 'un), but iirc, none of the reviews stated the album was "only mellow or country-influenced". Indeed, the reviews, including mine, all seem to stress the effective blending of seemingly disparate elements into a cohesive whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Nice work gentlemen (and lady!)
    You are correct, I probably worded my statement incorrectly. Instead of "all the references" I should probably have said "how many of the references..." Regardless, we certainly appreciate your review and your comments! It's just often surprising how differently things are experienced by different people.

Having said all that, here's another one, 5 out of 5 stars, thanks to Jim Lawson...

http://www.progrockmusictalk.com/201...int-paint.html

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

BTW, revisited "From Dreaming to Dreaming" last night and immediately recaptured my delight upon first hearing this, my first Farpoint disc.

BTW, revisited "From Dreaming to Dreaming" last night and immediately recaptured my delight upon first hearing this, my first Farpoint disc.
    Why thank you! We were quite proud of that one. Unfortunately it's basically sold out now, except for a few copies still in stock at various resellers...But it's still one of my favorite Farpoint albums.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Congrats on the great reviews, guys! I don't have the new one yet, but dig the samples I've heard. I need to pick up a copy in my next batch.

John

Quote Originally Posted by endgamer View Post
    Congrats on the great reviews, guys! I don't have the new one yet, but dig the samples I've heard. I need to pick up a copy in my next batch.

John
    Thanks John! I can't wait to get ahold of a copy of your new release...What I've heard sounds superb!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Bumping this thread with a new review, this one from our very own Mad Organist, Mike Visaggio...(Thanks Mike! We are stoked that you like our album. Yours is superb as well!)

PAINT THE DARK is freaking excellent. The production is the best I've ever heard from this band. There are nine pieces totaling about one hour of very soulful, passionate music. The thing that makes Farpoint hard to pinpoint (did you like that? Farpoint, pinpoint ... but I digress) is that they are out there in a place by themselves melding prog folk, prog rock and prog pop. There is one almost chamber-music idea in the opener "Up to You" that really captivated me, and that song really does rock. Paint the Dark has some elements of almost clubby jazz in it too. Some of the songs have a more formula kind of structure (not TOO typical, mind you) and some are just in a category all their own. The stuff that you want to say is cliche is in fact not, which is almost maddening because I am winding up loving this in spite of itself. In other words, it's like, I've heard that before, been there, done that, but ... not really. So in that respect it's like seeing a familiar place in a foreign land. The playing is just great. Kevin is really a guitarist, quite good especially on the acoustic, but he has almost a Joe Walsh-y "Tend My Garden" approach to the keyboards with a little Wakeman sprinkled atop it. His electric guitar parts are quite intense but in a melodic rather than riffing or shredding sense. Vocalist Abby Thompson is vocalist who brings Annie Haslam to mind, which is of course a very good thing, she is clear as crystal, pitch accurate, and can turn little interpretations as she goes that you are going to really like. Frank Tyson's bass playing is I guess what one might describe as melodically solid. He can use the high register for seasoning but he is best when sitting in the pocket, and some of these pockets are very unusual indeed. The singing is excellent too although Dean Hallal's voice is just slightly too low-pitched for this music IMHO, yet there are spots where he brings tears to my eyes because the songs themselves really penetrate to the heart and there, his voice is very captivating. I am still digesting this disc. It has a uniqueness to it and deserves a serious listen. They can alternate between high energy rock and very subtle acoustic based passages with ease, and every tune takes you to a different place. The lyrics are very spiritual and draw the listener close to God without doing what many dislike, which is to say if you are Christian you will see it, if you are not you will still get that Yes-ish vibe of attempted exploration of ideas that lie just beyond the five senses. Drummer Rick Walker does not overwhelm us with Neal Peartish virtuosity, but he absolutely fits this music and has a number of moments where he shows us what he's capable of in terms of intensity. I wish Farpoint would turn him loose a little bit more. I give this record a solid four stars, really more like 4.5, and only hold back from giving it five because I know a lot of progheads want more complex material than Farpoint gives us here. Let's say if Caravan can get four stars and higher, so can Farpoint. I may come back and revise this review a bit after a couple more listens. One bit of lyrics I would like to share, the last part of Up To You, particularly moved me, dealing with blessing others with our lives, the thing we were made to do. : "One life, made for living, one heart made for giving, All that is true. One choice, a transformation. One voice can change a nation. It's up to you." And so it is up to you, dear reader. GO BUY THIS RECORD. You'll be a happy camper.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I can't hope to compete with the reviews that have been posted, but none the less... Paint the Dark was my first exposure to this band, it won't be my last. I really enjoy the instrumentation and think the SQ of this release is excellent. My only complaint is that some of the vocals are weak, not all of them just a few. It's disheartening that this band doesn't get better recognition they are all truly good musicians putting out quality music. Best of luck to them in the future and they are now on my list of bands to follow.

Self promoting yes.

Shameless self promoting no.

Tastefully stated yes also.

Encourages me to take a look and listen yes.

Jon Neudorf
    It is excellent and made my 'best of' list last year. Catchy, proggy and extremely well thought out arrangements. They really do deserve more exposure.

Regards,
    Jon

Many thanks for the kind thoughts and words, everyone. It means more than you know.

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net