Thread: Hawkwind - Quark,Strangeness and Charm

Hawkwind - Quark,Strangeness and Charm

IMO, this is the record where it all comes together. I am a huge fan of the previous records but this is the "record" for me. Calvert just takes his vocals
    to a new emotional level and "Damnation Alley's" middle section is just prog bliss... Any fans???

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Big fan here. I fully agree that it all comes together here. Its the pinnacle of Hawkwind in the studio, and a great sci-fi rock album on the whole.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Remember buying this one as a teen. Big Impact.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

top notch start to finish. prolly the best of the calvert years

I'd bought In Search of Space at age 16 and absolutely hated it. Totally wrote them off, then became friends with a Hawkwind maniac in the early 90's. The album he was sure I'd like? Quark, Strangeness, and Charm - and was he ever right! Still don't like anything earlier than Warrior on the Edge of Time but the '75 to '92 period is a gold mine
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like the earlier period a little more than the Calvert years but they're both great. This is probably my favorite of that era. Great stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cool album but Astounding Sounds is my fave

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Cool album but Astounding Sounds is my fave

A great record, for sure. How can you not love a song that works Einstein, Copernicus, Galileo, and sub-atomic physics into a lyric about sex?

The only Hawkwind album I can listen to from start to finish with pleasure. Also, probably not coincidentally, the first of theirs I heard.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

My favourite too. Title track my fave Hawkwind track. Calvert was a great lyricist, very good with rhymes.