Page 98 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4771

Thread: New Releases Only

Electric Maybe Band (Guy Segers Ex Present)

https://discusmusic.bandcamp.com/alb...1k7WBZA7S4WI5U

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Good album
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hi, my new all-instrumental album is released on my personal Bandcamp page: https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com/album/...beastley-manor
    The CD available from www.rermegacorp.com, and soon from ReR's various distributors.

Hope you enjoy,
    Bob

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Cool
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    Hi, my new all-instrumental album is released on my personal Bandcamp page: https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com/album/...beastley-manor
    The CD available from www.rermegacorp.com, and soon from ReR's various distributors.

Hope you enjoy,
    Bob
    Interest piqued.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Good album
    Great album

Excellent stuff

Dallas Acid: The Spiral Arm - release date November 1st.
    Gorgeous synthesizer-music with atmospheric female voices.

Knight Area: D-day

I know I haven't listened to them in a while but when did they become Symphony X?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Knight Area: D-day

I know I haven't listened to them in a while but when did they become Symphony X?
    A couple of albums ago. As with Arena, they opted to turn to releasing bland "prog metal" stuff that could be any number of bands, rather than the excellent, melodic prog of their first few albums.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

https://pyramidalmusic.bandcamp.com/album/pyramidal

A dark/King Crimson-esque record with lots of psych/space elements.
    A really nice album

Via Progstreaming, a German band I'd never hear about named Johnny Bob. Two albums: Carnival of the Brahma Sox and the newer Fjodor and the Watergiant. I was honestly tempted to skip listening to this because of the album titles alone but decided to give it a shot.

I'm not sure if I should be polite or not but I'll try to do my best. A Genesis wannabe group with decent musicianship and lesser songwriting ability. Two singers. One sounds like a mixture of Bjork, Dolores O'Riordan and at times Niko at her most monotonous. The male singer is generic. I don't know what to really say except that outside of certain instrumental passages, some of which are clear pastiches of Genesis as well as a host of neo-prog bands, there is not much there that truly stands out. A lot of long tracks that go nowhere. Lyrics (in English) that are at best mediocre and at worse so cliched as to leave me cringing. Overall, it's an average listen if you only ever plan on listening once.

This is easily one of the CDs I would have been coaxed into buying by some record dealer because they needed to get rid of their inventory. I would have listened once and put it on the shelf never to be touched again.

Cellar Noise - Nautilus

A hell of a lot better than the last thing I reviewed. I'm not sure what to call it as if it really matters - Neo? Sympho? Whatever. It's not retro at all - a modern sound. Italian band singing in English which is not my preference but the singing is good - certainly well above average. The songs are all personal and emotional - I don't hear any Bullfinch's Mythology used here. The first track jarred me even though I saw the "E" for explicit but from what I gathered it was in the persona of a vicious internet troll and might even be from a message the band received - not sure. Enjoyed all the songs in and of themselves but the track "Our Last Dance" stood out. The riff during the chorus reminded me quite a bit of first album Rush - that sound they had that reflected a Black Sabbath influence. A hard-rock earworm which gave that song a punch.

A good listen that I'll come back to.
    Last edited by Splicer; 09-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Cellar Door - Nautilus
    The band is called "Cellar Noise" by the way..

Via Progstreaming, a German band I'd never hear about named Johnny Bob. Two albums: Carnival of the Brahma Sox and the newer Fjodor and the Watergiant. I was honestly tempted to skip listening to this because of the album titles alone but decided to give it a shot.

I'm not sure if I should be polite or not but I'll try to do my best. A Genesis wannabe group with decent musicianship and lesser songwriting ability. Two singers. One sounds like a mixture of Bjork, Dolores O'Riordan and at times Niko at her most monotonous. The male singer is generic. I don't know what to really say except that outside of certain instrumental passages, some of which are clear pastiches of Genesis as well as a host of neo-prog bands, there is not much there that truly stands out. A lot of long tracks that go nowhere. Lyrics (in English) that are at best mediocre and at worse so cliched as to leave me cringing. Overall, it's an average listen if you only ever plan on listening once.

This is easily one of the CDs I would have been coaxed into buying by some record dealer because they needed to get rid of their inventory. I would have listened once and put it on the shelf never to be touched again.
    The really interesting thing about them is that both singers are MALE!!!!

The band is called "Cellar Noise" by the way..
    Thank you. Typo corrected.

The really interesting thing about them is that both singers are MALE!!!!

Reid Anderson-electric bass/electronics-Dave King-acoustic/electronic drums-Craig Taborn-synths,electric/acoustic piano."Golden Valley Is Now."This goes on my "best of 2019" list.

Interesting, compelling tunes played by monster musicians.I got my cd from Wayside.Check this one out.Money back guarantee.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Complete Henry Cow set (studio + live):
    http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merch...creen=ANNOUNCE
    Comes with a bonus disc which can be bought separately if you already own the rest of the box.

"Posted by TheH:
    Electric Maybe Band (Guy Segers Ex Present)"

Quote Originally Posted by hokam View Post
    Excellent stuff
    +4.
    Last edited by TCC; 09-29-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Minimum Vital are mixing their new Album right now

Minimum Vital are mixing their new Album right now
    WOOHOO ... hope they are returning to the instrumental approach
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Reid Anderson-electric bass/electronics-Dave King-acoustic/electronic drums-Craig Taborn-synths,electric/acoustic piano."Golden Valley Is Now."This goes on my "best of 2019" list.

Interesting, compelling tunes played by monster musicians.I got my cd from Wayside.Check this one out.Money back guarantee.

Excellent stuff. Craig's one of my favorite jazz keyboardists of the past 10 or so years.

Gang,
    I've been listening to this one a lot in the last days: great album IMO!.

Guy Segers is, AFAIK, co-owner of Carbon 7 Records and also, he was part of Univers Zero before joined Present.
    Next, an interview made by the remembered Vitaly Menshikov (VM) to Guy Segers (GS) back in 2004:

http://www.progressor.net/interview/guy_segers.html

"- VM: Along with Daniel Denis and Robert Trigaux, you stood at the cradle of Univers Zero, whose history began in May 1974. You were very young then and, yet, you were completely prepared to play a highly complicated music, which demanded not only the high performance professionalism, but also the knowledge of specific harmonic laws. Did you listen to any avant-garde classical composers at that time? Please elaborate on your musical background.

- GS: Well, surprisingly none of us had made any school, so we didn't know anything about rules. But we where listening to many different things, and musicians such as Soft Machine, Captain Beefheart, Magma, Miles Davis, Stravinsky, Bartok, Tony Williams Lifetime, Manfred Mann's Chapter Three, etc did bring us a kind of direction on emotional and technical level."

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Guy Segers is, AFAIK, co-owner of Carbon 7 Records
    Good writeup, but I believe Carbon 7 have been defunkt for at least a decade now. Which is a kinda shame, as they (apparently) went almost overlooked even though their roster featured artists of an extremely high standard; AKA Moon, Pierre Vervloesem, Louise Avenue, Hilliard Ensemble, Franck Balestracci, Hardscore (combo of Belgian Zappa-apostle Frank Nuyts) and the fantastic chamber-jazz of La Grande Formation - to name a few.

Great label.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM