Page 89 of 192 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 4786

Thread: New Releases Only

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    weird recording/production. Sounds like it was taken with mike against old cassete player. everything just crammed into the mix, over the top... not my cup of tea. Singer trying to hit high notes, missing on a few occasions... Guitar parts are too indistinct, amateurish... As far as Poland is concerned they have far better outfits: Lizard, Dianoya, Quidam... working in that same realm. My view tho...
    Agreed. The drums sound like they were made out of cardboard.

Isn't it time for a new Quidam album by the way? Love those guys.

weird recording/production. Sounds like it was taken with mike against old cassete player. everything just crammed into the mix, over the top... not my cup of tea. Singer trying to hit high notes, missing on a few occasions... Guitar parts are too indistinct, amateurish... As far as Poland is concerned they have far better outfits: Lizard, Dianoya, Quidam... working in that same realm. My view tho...
    Thanks for your voice. As for the recording/production, you are right it could have been done better, but certainly (to my ears) it is way better from what you describe. In my days I have listened to cassettes long enough to know how they sounded. From what I know this was recorded in the studio with the whole band playing together (live) - as has been done years ago, but to what even Rolling Stones went back on their last studio album. Therefore, some misses and imperfections are understandable, including vocals, with limited room for corrections. Perhaps they should have mentioned this in the description there. To me sounding retro they actually sound very fresh, like old prog masters used to. There is evident King Crimson influence, they also mention Yes and others but KC is most prominent. The title track and the 4th track (The Sea of Slaves) for me are close to masterpieces (IMO) of the old days. With improved recording/production they really could be that. These songs were banging in my head long time after turning off the player and for me this is the best indicator of how good the music is ... subjective opinion of course, and I love this imperfect sound
    One thing I hope they improve on in the future recordings is English. To vocal itself I have no objections and to me it fits nicely with the music ... with imperfections and understanding that this is basically a live recording. Perhaps they would be better off singing in their native language like Lizard does.
    Btw, Lizard has a new album Half-Live which continues in the vein of their latter ones. I think Quidam does not function anymore. Dianoya I am not familiar with, but if you look for something new from out of there (and with perfect recording/production) you may try Pinn Dropp and their debut album - Perfectly Flawed, it got a rave review by Jerry Lucky (of "Progressive Rock Files" fame).

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Agreed. The drums sound like they were made out of cardboard.

Isn't it time for a new Quidam album by the way? Love those guys.
    With regard to the sound I will refer you to the reply to Sergio in my previous post. It will perhaps throw some light on why it may sound like it does. On the side note though, not sure how you are listening to this music. Although, the sound directly from the bandcamp website does not sound bad it must be somewhat limited when compared with uncompressed sound from either FLAC or wave file formats - available for download when purchased from the site (a steal at ~$1.50 for the whole album). Made a CD-R from the wave files and it does not sound as bad as you say, if anything somewhat in the background but that's about it.

As for Quidam, unfortunately it does not look they are active anymore. Not sure what other members of Quidam are doing, but the guitar player (Maciej Meller) is involved in the project with Mariusz Duda of Riverside (also playing with them at the concerts). Writing of the memory so hopefully I am right here as these are the names of the project members. The project is called Meller Golyzniak Duda and it must be a couple of years back they had a debut studio album - Breaking Habits. More on the rockish side it is good but I was hoping for a better one. On the other hand, their live album released last year (named simply "Live") makes up for that. Like it a lot with a harder edge than the studio album. As I mentioned in reply to Sergio, you may want to try out the new Polish band Pinn Dropp:
    https://pinndropp.bandcamp.com/album/perfectly-flawed

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    With regard to the sound I will refer you to the reply to Sergio in my previous post. It will perhaps throw some light on why it may sound like it does. On the side note though, not sure how you are listening to this music. Although, the sound directly from the bandcamp website does not sound bad it must be somewhat limited when compared with uncompressed sound from either FLAC or wave file formats - available for download when purchased from the site (a steal at ~$1.50 for the whole album). Made a CD-R from the wave files and it does not sound as bad as you say, if anything somewhat in the background but that's about it.

As for Quidam, unfortunately it does not look they are active anymore. Not sure what other members of Quidam are doing, but the guitar player (Maciej Meller) is involved in the project with Mariusz Duda of Riverside (also playing with them at the concerts). Writing of the memory so hopefully I am right here as these are the names of the project members. The project is called Meller Golyzniak Duda and it must be a couple of years back they had a debut studio album - Breaking Habits. More on the rockish side it is good but I was hoping for a better one. On the other hand, their live album released last year (named simply "Live") makes up for that. Like it a lot with a harder edge than the studio album. As I mentioned in reply to Sergio, you may want to try out the new Polish band Pinn Dropp:
    https://pinndropp.bandcamp.com/album/perfectly-flawed
    Thank you for your post PC. Bought Pinn Drop. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Thank you for your post PC. Bought Pinn Drop. Love it
    You are welcome, enjoy it
    Mine (CD) is still on the way.

The newest Ihsahn album is fantastic...

You are welcome, enjoy it
    Mine (CD) is still on the way.
    there you go: Dianoya
    https://dianoya.bandcamp.com/album/obscurity-divine

dark and awesome! perfect mix for me. Pinn Drop is too "happy" for me
    cheers anyway

there you go: Dianoya
    https://dianoya.bandcamp.com/album/obscurity-divine

dark and awesome! perfect mix for me. Pinn Drop is too "happy" for me
    cheers anyway
    Thank you Sergio, but not my "cup of tea" ... too harsh for me
    With few exceptions I am trying to stay away from prog-metallish stuff, just had enough of it.

I know that Symphonic Prog-Rock is somewhat out of favor around here, but for those who still may have an interest, The Far Meadow have their 3rd album coming out next month.

https://thefarmeadow.bandcamp.com/album/foreign-land

What is your opinion of this new band - The Third Project? If to choose something there listen to the title track and/or the 4th one - The Sea of Slaves.

https://the-third-project.bandcamp.com/releases
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I listened to the title track and it's pretty effin' great. Retro sounding albeit with a more modern production. I'll have to check the rest out soon. Not sure if I can bring myself to go for a download, but we'll see. First impression is exemplary.
    OK, I gave the entire album a listen, and...I don't think anything else even comes close to the title track. A couple others are pretty good, but the vocals on most are too close to a Metal or 80s AOR style of singing, which really knocks it down for me. I think that overall, this is a pass for me.

Also listened to a track or 2 from Pinn Dropp, and it's a non-starter for me.

I know that Symphonic Prog-Rock is somewhat out of favor around here, but for those who still may have an interest, The Far Meadow have their 3rd album coming out next month.

I still enjoy some sympho stuff from time to time.

Thanks for the heads up, I've bookmarked this one.

OK, I gave the entire album a listen, and...I don't think anything else even comes close to the title track. A couple others are pretty good, but the vocals on most are too close to a Metal or 80s AOR style of singing, which really knocks it down for me. I think that overall, this is a pass for me.

Also listened to a track or 2 from Pinn Dropp, and it's a non-starter for me.
    Sorry you feel this way, of course these are your feelings and taste and I am not trying to change them. Though, do not get it and quite disagree with metallish / AOR connotatiions you suggest. Also there are quite a few other tracks that deserve attention besides the title one. For example, the 4th track The Sea of Slaves, or the two tracks closing off the album: Beirut Blues and Ember Stones. Obviously I like the whole album and not just these four tracks, they balance each other pretty nicely. Thanks for trying and giving it a shot anyway

Pinn Dropp was my suggestion for people who like more modern approach and sound.

Look who is back Part 1

Look who is back Part2

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Look who is back Part 1
    WOW!! thank you sharing this, I love ARAGON...sounds wonderful. I'm in for a purchase!

Just found Act 2 on Bandcamp..https://aragon3.bandcamp.com/track/rocking-horse-act-2
    and...

for some reason I never purchased the original Rocking Horse album, didn't know it existed. Will obviously purchase that as well.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 03-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    WOW!! thank you sharing this, I love ARAGON...sounds wonderful. I'm in for a purchase!
    https://aragon3.bandcamp.com/track/rocking-horse-act-2

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

Just found Act 2 on Bandcamp..https://aragon3.bandcamp.com/track/rocking-horse-act-2
    and...

[...]

for some reason I never purchased the original Rocking Horse album, didn't know it existed. Will obviously purchase that as well.

How interesting this topic of Aragon should arise right now. At the end of this January I had an e-mail exchange/discussion on the re-release of Aragon's albums (and possibly of a new one) with none other than their vocalist - Leslie Dougan. Evidently they got the offer for just that from the label Chickadisc (GAD Records) of Poland and refused.

The label has started a series of re-releases of the neoprog albums. Not sure what is the key there, perhaps quality and availability, but Aragon was high on the list. They started with Chandelier's "Pure" and "Facing Gravity", with their 3rd album (Timecode) still in works. Highly recommend these reissues if you have interest in the music like this. Already had the original albums but could not refuse these reissues as both come with extra CD with the material not available previously on CD. "Pure" comes with the album "Fragments" (1988), previously available only on a cassette. "Facing Gravity" as the 2nd CD offers the unreleased before (as far as I know) concert from Paris (1993). Both reissues were remastered by Eroc himself (of Grobschnitt fame) and released close to perfection, with band's history, description (in Polish and English) and with lyrics. Sheer bliss for fans.

This is why I could not figure out why Aragon would refuse and tried to convince Leslie to change their decision, unfortunately to no avail. It seems the main reason (or excuse depending how you look at it) for this is the assertion there is no demand anymore and anyone reissuing these would lose money. However, even more probable reason, as stated by Leslie, is their approach that they already had fun with it and it is all behind them. Yet another was lack of extra materials that would be up to their standards and satisfaction. Quite contradictory statements in the view of increased activity on the bandcamp and release of the new track there - Rocking Horse - Act 2, wouldn't you say? Pointed this out to him, but again to no avail.

Perhaps you can change their minds, if they get enough e-mails from fans who knows? Their contact e-mail is on their bandcamp page: https://aragon3.bandcamp.com/

PC

For a release with Prog-Jazz/Classical ideas, Emily Bezar has her (at least) fourth album out here on Bandcamp - Out Of The Moment. Her unique, operatic voice floats over her complex keyboard chords, with layers of drums, bass and guitar supporting. It's melodic, challenging and very high quality musicianship. Just enough jazz soloing to show off their talents as a band.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    For a release with Prog-Jazz/Classical ideas, Emily Bezar has her (at least) fourth album out here on Bandcamp - Out Of The Moment. Her unique, operatic voice floats over her complex keyboard chords, with layers of drums, bass and guitar supporting. It's melodic, challenging and very high quality musicianship. Just enough jazz soloing to show off their talents as a band.
    It is actually album No. 7 : https://www.emilybezar.com/music

What is your opinion of this new band - The Third Project? If to choose something there listen to the title track and/or the 4th one - The Sea of Slaves.

https://the-third-project.bandcamp.com/releases
    In addition to bandcamp there are 5 tracks the band posted on You Tube. While these are only static videos, they offer lyrics to each of these tracks - just click "show more" under the played song:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...WgvlAYnJ2TtNFg
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I love symphonic prog! Thanks for the tip!
    So much music....so little time....

Apparently they have a new album out -- this track from it showed up at youtube a few days ago (the second half of the track gets more adventurous):

Will Of The Mountain - The Third Silence.

Second album release from the Costa Rican progressive rock project from the mind of multiinstrumentalist Juan Pablo Calvo. (Time's Forgotten, The Cursed).

"This is a project with which I seek to make music with different national artists ... (Like the last album) In this new material I work with five voices, who sing together in different songs, making harmonies with each other or taking prominence in specific themes " commented Calvo.

More info.:
    https://willofthemountaincr.bandcamp...-third-silence

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Banned
    Just released new album by French rock-in-opposition band Ultra Zook.

FREE Compilation album from Napier's Bones !

Hi Folks

Napier's Bones are marking their 5th anniversary with a giveaway !

It's been five productive years and five prog-packed albums so we're celebrating by releasing a special compilation album of favourites from our back catalogue entitled "Five Years in the Wood".
    All tracks have been remixed/remastered and now feature all-new live drums.
    We do hope you enjoy

You can download it free from our bandcamp page here :

https://napiersbones.bandcamp.com/al...rs-in-the-wood

Just enter £0 in the "name your price box" (or by all means contribute if you so wish)

As a niche band, we'd both like to thank everyone who "gets" us for all the support and feedback.
    Nathan & Gordon

Napier's Bones

Five Years in the Wood Anniversary EP Artwork Master.jpg