Page 75 of 193 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 4809

Thread: New Releases Only

here's something that took me by surprise...

at first I thought 'oh, Jazz'... but then as I kept listening they started to do many different things and it started to sound more like prime era Camel mixed with RTF and more!

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    here's something that took me by surprise...
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

The new release Knells II by the vocal prog band The Knells is up for pre-order, and is well worth waiting three years for. Their Lego video below will make you stop drinking and take up the guitar!

From their Bandcamp page: [The Knells'] lyrics ponder cosmic conditions and cycles — time, space, dissolution, regeneration — and they are sung by three women, often in cascading counterpoint that can invoke Renaissance polyphony or Minimalism. The songs aren't verse-chorus-verse; they sweep ahead, through passages of tolling solo electric guitar, of elegiac vocal melodies and harmonies, of note-bending quasi-Indian strings and guitar, of progressive-rock processionals. The classical training and female harmonies can make the Knells similar to Dirty Projectors, but this band looks toward Europe and tone poems rather than Africa and pop. Instead of hooks there are sustained dramatic arcs, meticulous and serpentine."

—The New York Times

"Finally, an album that Gentle Giant and Sufjan Stevens fans can agree to love: The eponymous debut concept LP by the Knells... mixes its myriad impulses and resources in glorious manner, with three angelic voices floating in harmony over a string-adorned backbeat."

—Time Out New York
    Last edited by BrianG; 10-30-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

^^

Cool, was about time for a second one!

I don't recall seeing this one mentioned but every Terje Rypdal fan should head on over to Wayside Music and order the fantastic tribute album recently released on Rune Grammofon. leading an amazing lineup of musicians is Henry Kaiser, a lifelong fan of the Norwegian legend. Kaiser initiated the project with Rune Grammofon to coincide with Rypdal's birthday who turned 70 in August of this year. don't miss out.

...with keyboardist Ståle Storløkken, bassist Ingebrigt Håker Flaten, drummer Gard Nilssen, guitarists Even H. Hermansen and Hedvig Mollestad, Finnish guitarist Raoul Björkenheim, and Swedish guitarist Reine Fiske. Hans Magnus Ryan, Jim O'Rourke, Bill Frisell, Nels Cline, David Torn and cellist Erik Friedlander round out this stellar cast of fans and friends.

Chaser · Sky Music A Tribute To Terje Rypdal

Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-02-2017 at 05:26 AM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

You can now stream Mancunian Candidate for a limited time only at http://progstreaming.nl/pages/play-a...an%20Candidate

The stream however does put gaps in between each separate song. To listen to the album in continuous play you will need to purchase CD or download and play in itunes or any digital player with gap-less play.

Also full songs are up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W7fpH4EWdw

Enjoy!

This one has been out for a bit, but it hasn't been mentioned here. I'd had the new Dreadnaught album Hard Chargin' in my queue for a while. Finally pulled the trigger last week and have given it one listen so far. Must say, I was really impressed. The opening track leads you to believe it will be more "song based," but the rest of the album is very adventurous and features a lot of fantastic playing in out-of-the-box compositions. Looking forward to digging into this one more.

Samples here: https://dreadnaughtmusic.bandcamp.com/

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    This one has been out for a bit, but it hasn't been mentioned here. I'd had the new Dreadnaught album Hard Chargin' in my queue for a while. Finally pulled the trigger last week and have given it one listen so far. Must say, I was really impressed. The opening track leads you to believe it will be more "song based," but the rest of the album is very adventurous and features a lot of fantastic playing in out-of-the-box compositions. Looking forward to digging into this one more.

Samples here: https://dreadnaughtmusic.bandcamp.com/

Bill
    This is a serious ass-kicker and cruises easily to my top-10 annual list. A reminder of why I loved Prog-Rock in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    For those of us who want to keep tabs on new releases that often get underexposed, I am starting this thread that is formally dedicated to new releases. I frequent some other forums and really like AAJ's long running "new releases only" thread, so I'm going to emulate something like that here.

So this thread will be solely dedicated to current releases and confirmed upcoming releases. It can include new material, reissues, archives, etc. However, any excessive self-promotion, debates about the music business, etc. will be removed. It's the purpose of this thread to be a continuing news feed of information on current and new releases.

I'll get things started with a few.

Archive - Axiom (May 27)

Latest release from this UK group. Their music is sort of a mix of Massive Attack, Pink Floyd, and Porcupine Tree. This latest project Axiom comes with a companion DVD which is essentially the film to the soundtrack (or vice versa).

Opeth - Pale Communion (August 25)

Looks like the date was pushed back, but looking forward to this much anticipated album.

Fire! Orchestra - (May 30)

If the track on the page is any indication, this could be an album of the year candidate.

http://www.runegrammofon.com/artists...-enter-cd-2lp/

Next?
    Next is RTFACT! Knock Knock! Who is there? RTFACT! RTFACT The Who? RTFACT is not The Who! RTFACT is a new prog rock project! It's a new release! Did we get missed! Here is RTFACT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4isd8jz0YI Pls check it out! Thank you in advance for your time and attention!

Here is a guy from Utah, US who has a very modern Scandanavian prog sound (ala Leprous, Katatonia). Naeramarth, from his recent album The Innumerable Stars.

Another new one from Von Hertzen Brothers album, War is Over.

Quote Originally Posted by deandob View Post
    Another new one from Von Hertzen Brothers album, War is Over.

Didn't realize they had another one out already! I quite like their stuff, and this sounds promising. Thanks for sharing!

Cleric - Retrocasual out Dec. 8th. Hear a track here - https://clericmimicry.bandcamp.com/album/retrocausal-2

"Retrocausal" is Cleric's stunning and long LONG-awaited follow-up to their groundbreaking 2010 album "Regressions". Now with well-earned respect from both the extreme metal underground and Zorn-associated avant garde jazz scene, Cleric more than makes good on their promise. Listen to them rewrite the book on what the combination of the terms "metal" and "avant garde" can (and should) mean. With "Retrocausal" this tireless Philadeliphia-based unit has burst forth with a true masterpiece in the field of extreme experimental music.

New track released by Regal Worm. I don't know if this will be part of something larger later on.

https://regalworm.bandcamp.com/track...-kepples-folly

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Cleric - Retrocasual out Dec. 8th. Hear a track here - https://clericmimicry.bandcamp.com/album/retrocausal-2

"Retrocausal" is Cleric's stunning and long LONG-awaited follow-up to their groundbreaking 2010 album "Regressions". Now with well-earned respect from both the extreme metal underground and Zorn-associated avant garde jazz scene, Cleric more than makes good on their promise. Listen to them rewrite the book on what the combination of the terms "metal" and "avant garde" can (and should) mean. With "Retrocausal" this tireless Philadeliphia-based unit has burst forth with a true masterpiece in the field of extreme experimental music.

Really excited for this one. That teaser track is killer.

neil

the s/t debut album from Cloudmap (Spain) is available at Amazon and Spotify

i.ain't.dead.irock

also...Blind Ego - Live @ Loreley (Nov 10th) which includes the live DVD from Hamburg

Blind Ego
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    New track released by Regal Worm. I don't know if this will be part of something larger later on.

https://regalworm.bandcamp.com/track...-kepples-folly
    Thanks. According to their FB this is an oldie made available: https://www.facebook.com/regalworm

Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Montréal's bird problems drops tomorrow

i.ain't.dead.irock

Believe, one of the best of the Polish prog bands, and an offshoot of the great Collage, has released what may be their best album, "Seven Widows".

a nice debut from Volcanic Lightnings, Eponym should appeal to fans of Porcupine Tree, Rush, etc...6 trax @40 min

Open Fire

i.ain't.dead.irock

some late contenders...

Moonstriker - Valley of Corrupted Gravity

Vellweb

Orion - Le Survivant (France) native

Big Bang

Bad Dreams - Chrysalis "Butterfly"
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-28-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

clicked on "Butterfly"... nice... familiar territory but very nice, soaring, symphonic Guitar
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

New solo album by former Le Orme frontman Aldo Tagliapietra:
    https://maracashrecords.bandcamp.com...isibili-realta

Dee Palmer featuring Martin Lancelot Barre

dee.jpg