Page 74 of 193 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 4814

Thread: New Releases Only

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad
    Where's Lev?
    Who called me?

Yes, you are correct, the new Vezhlivyi Otkaz / Polite Refusal album is coming in the early November. They finally forced the ever defiant bandleader Roman Suslov, who openly states his contempt for "fixed" musical forms as opposed to the improvisational nature of any live performance, into going into the studio and recording the songs he's been working on (and playing on the band's gigs) for the last 5-6 years.

I've been given a promo copy of the album a few days ago, and it is fantastic as you could guess. Slightly more edgy / complex than Geese & Swans, with less catchy parts that jump out on you on the first listen, but ultimately at least as satisfying and definitely as uncompromising as that one.
    Last edited by Levgan; 10-11-2017 at 02:52 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sweet
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

By the way, one of the songs from the upcoming album can be already heard on Vezhlivyi Otkaz's Soundcloud page, it's called "Sky Shooter" – give it a listen!

https://soundcloud.com/vezhlivy_otkaz

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    about the MSM Schmidt above...I should have mentioned this. among the many guests on this album are Dave Weckl, Mike Miller, Scott Kinsey, Jimmy Haslip, Virgil Donati, Oz Noy and more. most notable though being Allan Holdsworth is on at least two tracks (Trance and Vista)
    Somehow I missed this one, but I was lucky a fellow Holdsworth-fan recommended this album. It was sent out today by CDBaby.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Somehow I missed this one, but I was lucky a fellow Holdsworth-fan recommended this album. It was sent out today by CDBaby.
    I think a lot of peeps might have missed it.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Are there samples on cd baby or amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Transient-Vie...ords=carl+hupp
    I don't know all the spots Carl was selling it but at CD Baby, they're weren't any preview samples to play so I poked around in the HTML and noticed they're wasn't any sample tracks input for the source in the player. I poked around some more and found them in the same folder that his other previews were in. I just linked them from there to here but before René could listen to them, they disappeared. maybe, CD Baby didn't like them being linked like that. I don't know. Carl could have changed it for some other reason. René was able to listen to em later so it's all good. haven't checked baby to see if he fixed it.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I don't know all the spots Carl was selling it but at CD Baby, they're weren't any preview samples to play so I poked around in the HTML and noticed they're wasn't any sample tracks input for the source in the player. I poked around some more and found them in the same folder that his other previews were in. I just linked them from there to here but before René could listen to them, they disappeared. maybe, CD Baby didn't like them being linked like that. I don't know. Carl could have changed it for some other reason. René was able to listen to em later so it's all good. haven't checked baby to see if he fixed it.
    He was re-doing his site so people could access it from their phones. On my home PC I could access his site from Internet Explorer but not Firefox.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    He was re-doing his site so people could access it from their phones. On my home PC I could access his site from Internet Explorer but not Firefox.
    You're right. Should have checked there before going to the babe: http://www.carlhupp.com/

Just got Daniel Cavanagh's (Anathema) new solo album 'Monochrome'. Sounds very nice on a first play, the kind of thing that has been missing from the couple of the band's albums maybe.

is Antoine Fafard's Proto Mundi available yet?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is Antoine Fafard's Proto Mundi available yet?
    I received the album yesterday after pre-ordering from Antoine directly a few months ago: http://www.antoinefafard.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Released today on bandcamp

Trojan Horse - Fukushima Surfer Boys
    Nice... Thanks for the heads up on this one!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Robert Santamaria of Amarok fame has released a proggy album of Spanish/Andalusian folk music as a band called Terra de Sons on Bandcamp. This is in addition to his earlier band Dafnia which had a more Eastern European flavor and featured Amarok's Marta Segura on vocals.

Estíbaiz Bonastre: Flautes, acordió diatónic
    Jordi Moliné: Guitarra
    Robert Santamaría: Kanun, percussions, glockenspiel, teclats, saz, guit 12 cordes
    Músics convidats
    Vanessa Torruella: Veus (2-6)
    Ramón Navarro. Acordió diatónic (5)

He even has a free Sampler of many of his bands here on Bandcamp.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

MSM Schmidt next week. Life
    Very good album indeed! I must say I was moved to hear Allan Holdsworth...

^^"Probably the last Allan Holdsworth solo":

Trance by MSM Schmidt:

Very good album indeed! I must say I was moved to hear Allan Holdsworth...

MSM Schmidt - Life
    I think so too...got mine along with a few others. I wondered if Allan's contributions to the album might be some of his last recordings. regardless, it's a pretty good one. I think Michael gets decent exposure on the West Coast here. "Michael Schmidt...insurance salesman by day, jazzmatazz at night"
    i.ain't.dead.irock

finally...just some good old progressive rock that isn't wearing any fancy clothes

Amalgam Effect - As We Were 10/13/2017

Oil and Water

Dangerous Games

Identify
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 10-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Couldn't play the vids, but the bandcamp-site works ;-)
    The intro of that first track reminded me of the progressive folk-rock debut from Skin The Peeler (the acoustic guitar and flute mainly), but after that it's indeed good old prog.

Old man of prog
    Couldn't play the vids, but the bandcamp-site works ;-)
    The intro of that first track reminded me of the progressive folk-rock debut from Skin The Peeler (the acoustic guitar and flute mainly), but after that it's indeed good old prog.
    Wow. Listening to this on Tidal now and really digging it

is MSM one guy?

how many albums does he(they) have and are they all in the same wheelhouse?

^^"Probably the last Allan Holdsworth solo":

Trance by MSM Schmidt:

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I am not a extreme frequent follower, so, I do not know if this was mentioned recently here, but it is worth to do it again, if anyone already did - Miriodor - Signal 9

Miriodor is a band that really gather characteristics to represent what I think Progressive Rock is, a music that evolves and progress always without losing its personality.

Yesterday I had the 1st spin on the new Signal 9. This is their most ambitious and adventurous work, but it is still Miriodor. I could not confuse it with any other band, even if it was the 1st time I was listening this new CD.

They jump from experimental, to RIO oriented, to improvisations, yo jazz, to heavy crimsonic guitars back to Miriodor.

I can recommend easily this CD to anyone interested in RIO. OK, I am a long time fan of their music, and they always surprises me with every new CD, but this time I was knocked down!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is MSM one guy?

how many albums does he(they) have and are they all in the same wheelhouse?
    He has six, so far.
    I own "Transit,""Arrivals," and "Destination" and they are indeed in the same wheelhouse. I will complete the collection. All great, IMO.
    Michael works in insurance, that's his day job, but he loves fusion. Mitchel Foreman is a friend and contributes greatly to all these recordings.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

For the record, Dean Watson's Sum of Parts (fusion, more melodic than his previous releases, with a fair lot of Hammond organ) seems to have been released in June 2017.

It's been getting a lot of discussion in the "Best of 2017 So Far" thread, so I figure it deserves a mention here.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    For the record, Dean Watson's Sum of Parts (fusion, more melodic than his previous releases, with a fair lot of Hammond organ) seems to have been released in June 2017.

It's been getting a lot of discussion in the "Best of 2017 So Far" thread, so I figure it deserves a mention here.
    it was. the search function here could use some tweaking.
    i.ain't.dead.irock