Page 5 of 192 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: New Releases Only

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    It sounds very promising, Kerry.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Gotta say, I am over the moon right now, we got 2 of the mastered tracks back yesterday and I am freaking blown away by what Brian Gardner has done with the stuff. I was already digging John Prpich's mixes but, damn, man, the mastered versions just take things to a whole other level....complete, cohesive, dynamic, slamming, breathing, clear, present, and punchy.

Super-excited!

All indications point to this being the best sounding album I have ever been involved with.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    Caught these guys in Palm Beach, FL last Saturday. Live they were 3 guitars, bass, drums and were joined by violin on one song. They are all instrumental. The CD came out in February, but I'll bet it's news to everyone here.
    Typical post-rock band. Saw Explosions in the Sky a couple of years ago and they too had 3 guitars and no keys.

One of the ones I posted earlier.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-04-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

One of the others.

And a third.

And the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Farpoint's 7th release PAINT THE DARK, is now out on 10T Records.
    Why does the beginning of "Up To You" sound like the beginning of "The Spirit of Radio". Why do bands do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Why does the beginning of "Up To You" sound like the beginning of "The Spirit of Radio". Why do bands do that?
    Went to a blues show once, I can't tell you how many times that night I thought they were gonna cover Cold Shot by Stevie Ray Vaughn. I guess that is a popular intro.

MoeTar - Entropy of the Century Aug 19

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    MoeTar - Entropy of the Century Aug 19
    Autobuy
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Farpoint's 7th release PAINT THE DARK, is now out on 10T Records.
    Here's my review:

Now that I've taken the disc for a half-dozen or so spins, I'd like to add my voice to what should be a heavenly choir praising this album. A former list-member turned me onto Farpoint a few years back, and as an admirer of bands with male/female vocals in harmonic splendour and interplay (Mostly Autumn, The Reasoning etc.) I took to this band immediately, so when Kevin offered list-members a gratis copy of the "Cold Star, Quiet Star" release a few years back, I happily took him up on the offer. Looks like I'd missed some interim releases, but when Kevin announced the band's signing to 10T, whose distribution allows me to order their releases via my favorite brick-and-mortar store, I ordered up 'paint the dark' and it's been in heavy rotation all week 'round these parts.

The first track, the anthemic "Up to You", took some time to grow on me. Upon first listen, it seemed deceptively simple from a compositional standpoint. Repeated listens revealed the complexities of the arrangement (a strength of the album as a whole, with the use of cello, violin, mandolin, flute in arrangements which very effectively and creatively combine acoustic and electric instrumentation) and while this tune may not be the album's stand-out track, it is an upbeat start to this album of spiritually uplifting tunes (the Christian themes, while apparent, are subtly expressed, and certainly not a turn-off to this secular Jew!). The second track ("Part of Me") begins with a brief acoustic guitar/bass intro before Abby takes the lead vocals, leading into almost flamenco-inflected segment featuring acoustic instrumentation and some very catchy guitar lines and chorus. "Gone" is a lovely composition which also features some lovely acoustic-electric guitar and keys (the strings sound) interplay and while I tend to favor Abby's lead vocals, Dean's lead vox here serve the material well. An reggae flavor permeates the intro to the more uptempo "Half a World Away", and a sing-along chorus which also continues the Carribbean flair (I was waiting for the steel drums!) is a potential ear-worm. "Who You Are", a ballad which begins with Abby's voice pianissimo over a beautiful piano progression, then is joined by strings while the vocals become more plaintive and passionate in their longing for "saving grace" (probably the most explicit expression of Christianity on the album). "Stand" rocks out with great male-female interlocking harmonies and another catchy chorus; I also enjoyed the instrumental interludes featuring some found-sound electronica before the tune again rocks out, this time featuring Dean's serviceable vocals before Abby joins in. The album's "epic", the 12:15 "Vision Quest" begins with a great instrumental introduction, very symphonic and very 'eavy, with a vaguely Middle-Eastern vibe (a la "Kashmir"), picking up steam like a train travelling across a stormy tundra, before entering a more Floydian/Gilmouresque section, before finally pulling into a Kansas-like section a featuring the male-female harmonies of the chorus. A more pastoral acoustic section featuring beautiful flute and guitar interplay is next in this very catchy tune, whose twelve minutes fly by quickly and seems emblamatic of the numerous influences Farpoint are able to incorporate seemingly seamlessly in their unique fusion. Abby is featured on "One More Sunset", which to my ears could be an Iona offering (another Christian band this Jew loves), a mellow ballad featuring some haunting violin in the bridge. The album closes with the brief up-tempo "Power", aptly-named as it seeks lyrically to call upon the "divine power" of music to unite us all. In all, an uplifting, creatively-arranged slice of subtly Christian symphonic prog which meshes acoustic and electric instrumentation and male/female vocals in a melange that works wonderfully for this listener. The folk-flavored, Americana-tinged arrangements and vocals mark this band as uniquely American, an achievement of which they should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ Wow! That's a long time coming. I wasn't sure if The Tea Party were known much outside of Canada but perhaps they are.
    They are very popular here in Oz (where Jeff Martin now spends quite a bit of his time.) Very much looking forward to this.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Not a new release but I just got my copy of Lifesigns on vinyl. The sound is stunning and the vinyl grade itself is top shelf. If your doing vinyl, this is a must have. Another feather for BS.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    ^^^ Wow! That's a long time coming. I wasn't sure if The Tea Party were known much outside of Canada but perhaps they are.
    Even when I lived in Cleveland Ohio from 2006 to 2013 and came back to Puerto Rico, I'm a fan since around 2004...
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

The new Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kilhlstedt & Mattias Bossi) album Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 2 - Swallow Me Whole is out today. On my first listen and it sounds great!
    http://kihlstedtbossi.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jviola95 View Post
    The new Rabbit Rabbit (Carla Kilhlstedt & Mattias Bossi) album Rabbit Rabbit Radio, Vol. 2 - Swallow Me Whole is out today. On my first listen and it sounds great!
    http://kihlstedtbossi.bandcamp.com/
    Autobuy
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sanguine Hum---- Live in America CD and DVD now in stock. (digipak) Professionally authored DVD and NTSC region free, so should play anywhere . Sales are going towards the production on the new (rather splendid) studio album expected in the next few months. This is "not" a standard Esoteric release and is therefore only available directly by paypal to esotericarts@btconnect.com (please put Sanguine Hum in the comments section) on ebay or via Burning Shed plus other selected outlets such as Wayside in the USA.http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where's that cover shot from, Vicki? It looks like The Neptune theatre right here in Seattle.

It was ROSfest wasn't it?
    Ian

TRIX - TRICK

Magnolia from The Pineapple Thief - 09/15/2014

The Imperial Hotel from The Samurai of Prog - 07/20/2014

sample sounds great

Brighter Skies from FreddeGredde

again, nice sample

something from Thirteen Eight

Last edited by proggosaurus; 07-11-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    TRIX - TRICK

whoah

THAT KICKED BUTT!

after they started I was like... 'ok... nice stuff'
    then the Keyboard player went off and I was like 'wow, he's really good!'
    then the Bass player did his thing and I was thinking 'these guys are all masters of their respective instruments'
    then came the Drum players turn and I cringed thinking 'not a Drum solo!'
    but he was completely musical throughout the solo... very tasteful
    then I thought 'the Guitar player has some hard acts to follow'
    and sure enough, although he was quite good, he was not up to the level of the others
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    whoah

THAT KICKED BUTT!

after they started I was like... 'ok... nice stuff'
    then the Keyboard player went off and I was like 'wow, he's really good!'
    then the Bass player did his thing and I was thinking 'these guys are all masters of their respective instruments'
    then came the Drum players turn and I cringed thinking 'not a Drum solo!'
    but he was completely musical throughout the solo... very tasteful
    then I thought 'the Guitar player has some hard acts to follow'
    and sure enough, although he was quite good, he was not up to the level of the others
    I didn't watch the video above but Yuya is one of the upcoming Japanese guitarists on the fusion scene. He joined TRIX to give them a little edge over what they had. TRIX isn't one of the more crunchy fusion bands, but they probably get more gigs than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    TRIX - TRICK

Great stuff but where do you get it and does this disc's cover have a playboy bunny on the front???
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!