Page 24 of 192 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: New Releases Only

New Scott Henderson is killer!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Vibe Station??
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    Vibe Station??
    Si, Senor!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The new Guapo is everything it promised to be, monstrously heavy, layered as hell, fucking brilliant.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Also highly recommended for fans of brutal prog the latest Upsilon Acrux that comes with the Steve F seal of approval, loving it.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The new Guapo is everything it promised to be, monstrously heavy, layered as hell, fucking brilliant.
    How do you think it compares to the last one? It's too early to tell for sure (still absorbing it), but it seems heavier, if not as varied as History of the Visitation.

Too early, I'll come back after 20 spins, initial impressions are very very good.
    Ian

And of course there's, hum, Ghost Rhythms new album Madeleine. What? Are you telling me that I am SELF PROMOTING ?

New Kingcrow song/video out! Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMan View Post
    The new Tangent album arrived this morning and it is one of their best
    Sorry, but I must disagree.
    It's a bit better than then their previous one, or faceless Place in the Queue, or deadly boring 2 CD "Book".
    But it's still worse than London-Paris.
    Good: in comparison to the previous opus it has a bit less vocals from Andy no endless pointless "epic" and more really good jazzy/Canterbury-ish instrumental moments.
    Production and sound quality are excellent as usual. So is Luke Machine's guitar work.
    But it's definitely not really The Music that Dies Alone Part 2! It's not even close
    I again listened to the first two Tangent albums after listening to that latest one. The difference is huge. I can't point exactly at what's missing. Quality control? Contributions from Roine Stolt, Theo Travis, Guy Manning?
    Last edited by Booba Kastorsky; 05-14-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Just listening to "Vibe Station" (a private release, it seems) and indeed: "a killer". I would compare it more with his later TT-albums than with his early solo-work. Although there's some blues, this is more on his progressive jazz-rock-vein. "Manic Carpet".... wow.

Currently I'm listening to the new album from Ligro from Indonesia: "Dictionary 3". From introvert, subtle to hard jazzrocking climaxes. With a wonderful guest-role from pianist Ade Irawan (apparently just 18 years old).

Soon the new Barock Project should be out. Here's a short instrumental piece from it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlzrO7ACVNM

new Miracles of Modern Science album "Mean Dreams" comes out on August 12th.

http://miraclesofmodernscience.bandc...um/mean-dreams

1st single up/downloadable w/ preorder.

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Anyone remember Seven Reizh? They released two fine symph-folk albums some 10-15 years ago. Apparently these were supposed to be part of a trilogy, and now they're about to complete it with... two (??) more albums. Here's some info (in French only I'm afraid): http://www.seven-reizh.com/
    I remember Seven Reizh. I still listen to their great album Strinkadenn Ys occasionally. Glad to hear they're working on a new one.

And in case nobody has mentioned it yet, the new Herba D' Hameli is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    the new Herba D' Hameli is excellent
    Their best so far, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Just listening to "Vibe Station" (a private release, it seems) and indeed: "a killer". I would compare it more with his later TT-albums than with his early solo-work. Although there's some blues, this is more on his progressive jazz-rock-vein. "Manic Carpet".... wow.
    I'm not sure what you meant by "private release;" I got it from Abstract Logix and I know it's downloadable from the iTunes store and probably available from at least a half dozen other places.

Anyway, there is an audible connection to both Tribal Tech and his previous solo albums, but I think he broke some substantial new ground on this one and I think you could safely call it "progressive" if not necessarily "Prog-rock." The compositions have unpredictable twists and require repeated listenings to fully sink in. There are "hooks" but they're subtle and they grow on you rather than hitting you over the head with any sort of obvious catchiness. And his playing... amazing! I can't think of another guitar player who can channel Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Scofield, Allan Holdsworth and Jeff Beck and not only have it all make sense, but manage to have his own unique style in spite of these recognizable influences. It's a real genre hopper too; there's jazz, blues, rock, funk... even a splash of country on the tune "Dew Wut?" I think this is not only Scott's best solo album, but one the greatest guitar-centric instrumental albums I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

I was not into his previous solo albums, but this one sounds interesting

I think you could safely call it "progressive" if not necessarily "Prog-rock.".
    I'd be willing to go out on a limb and guess it's not Symph, but if it's well composed Fusion then it's Prog AFAIC
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 05-18-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Simon Phillips - Protocol III
    Jeff Richman - Hotwire
    Trimurti
    Romantic Warriors III - Canterbury Tales
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

State Urge is a band from Poland who had a nice release a couple of years ago called "White Rock Experience". Now recently they've released an excellent follow-up, "Confrontation". Anyone else familiar with this band?

I'm not sure what you meant by "private release;" I got it from Abstract Logix and I know it's downloadable from the iTunes store and probably available from at least a half dozen other places.
    I mean it's not released on a label. "P&C Scott Henderson". I know it's available from many stores, mentioned on http://www.scotthenderson.net/ but you can also order it directly from Scott using paypal and you will get it autographed.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    State Urge is a band from Poland who had a nice release a couple of years ago called "White Rock Experience". Now recently they've released an excellent follow-up, "Confrontation". Anyone else familiar with this band?

let me guess... you kidding! Gotcha... this track is seriously bad!

Quote Originally Posted by XavGel View Post
    And of course there's, hum, Ghost Rhythms new album Madeleine. What? Are you telling me that I am SELF PROMOTING ?
    Just absorbing that album at the moment -very very good album but there's so much of it, and its so densely composed it'll take me a while to know it properly. I'm not a big jazz fan, but those rhythms are so intense I'm kept engrossed all the time. Well done!

Just got this in the mail:

Glenn Phillips Band
    40th Anniversary Celebration!
    Saturday, May 30th
    8pm / No Opening Act / Doors Open at 7pm
    Red Clay Music Foundry
    in Duluth GA (Atlanta Area)

Celebrating the 40th anniversary re-release of Glenn’s first album, Lost at Sea by reuniting the band that
    recorded it and playing the entire album live for the first time. This is the album that led famed UK entrepreneur Richard Branson to fly to Atlanta in 1975 and sign Phillips to Virgin Records. Phillips will also be performing rarely played songs from his 2nd Virgin album, Swim in the Wind.

Copies of the Double-LP reissue of Lost at Sea will be available for purchase, as well as Special Limited Edition copies (only 40) signed by Lost at Sea Band Members Glenn Phillips, Bill Rea, Mike Holbrook, Jim Presmanes and John Harriman.

Note to Bill Rea fans: Bill will be having wrist surgery this summer, which will impact his ability to play bass in the near future and possibly beyond. At this point, it's looking like this may be his last performance before surgery.

Tickets:
    $18 Advance / $24 Door for Premium Reserved Seats
    $15 Advance / $20 Door for Regular Reserved Seats

http://public.ticketbiscuit.com/Eddi.../Events/231584

Red Clay Music Foundry
    3116 Main Street, Duluth, GA 30096
    *just 11 miles from I-285 North
    Tickets: 404 478-2749
    Venue: 678-892-6373
    eddieowenpresents.com

Order Lost at Sea 40th Anniversary Double LP Online: http://feedingtuberecords.com/releases/lost-at-sea/
    And check out these reviews and interviews!

Interview with Glenn on youtube (starts at 16 min) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSO-zJuaT9E

http://www.stompandstammer.com/content/view/6208/51/

http://www.terrascope.co.uk/Reviews/..._15.htm#GlennP

http://www.forcedexposure.com/Catalo...FTR.173LP.html

Visit glennphillips.com for CD orders, dates, downloads, photos, articles, discography & more!
    (If your E-Mail Address changes, please let us know. To Unsubscribe from this list, reply with "unsubscribe" in subject line.)

Lost at Sea is awesome; I've had the original Caroline vinyl since I first discovered the Hampton Grease Band (as I couldn't find that one until several years later).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM