Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Songs with the sound of a radio being tuned to different stations

Didn't PF use local radio stations on the WYWH (or later) tour ??? Now I've got to drag out the boots to check.....

There seems to be a radio/TV commercial at the end of Remember The Future Part II (Nektar..)

Just heard it yesterday: the song "Program" by Silver Apples has radio knob twirling through out.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Didn't PF use local radio stations on the WYWH (or later) tour ??? Now I've got to drag out the boots to check.....
    That would be the US leg of the Animals tour you're thinking of. When performing Wish You Were Here itself on that tour, they had an actual transistor radio onstage, which I think Roger Waters would fiddle with for about a minute, before segueing into a tape of the radio tuning from the record. I've got a few different bootlegs from that tour, one of them you can hear a bit of Feels Like The First Time, another has a bit of Instant Kharma, still another has a radio advert for a movie called The Other Side Of Midnight.

I think they also tried this on the European leg, but as I recall, the results were way less interesting.

“NEW BODY FORM!”

I was just reminded of Bernard Szajner’s Some Deaths Take Forever, which has radio dial spinning between tracks.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I was just reminded of Bernard Szajner’s Some Deaths Take Forever, which has radio dial spinning between tracks.
    What a great and under-appreciated album.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    What a great and under-appreciated album.
    It’s pretty cool, sort of Autobahn-era Kraftwerk meets Heldon with a touch of Zeuhl (Klaus Blasquiz and some other Magma personnel played on this).

Haven’t heard any of his other discs, but he was quietly influential. Jean-Michel Jarre borrowed/stole his idea for the “laser harp” (which appears on the cover of Brute Reason), while Gary Numan stole his look. And he’s one of the few musicians I know that owned an RSF Kobol (I guess the other owners were probably French, too. Pretty sure Jarre had one as well).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Man in the Photograph and Exit Song- It Bites (The album Map of the Past opens and closes with it.)
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 07-09-2014 at 02:39 AM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Marillion- Angelina

Banned

Stackridge - Mr. Mick
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

sorry - couldn't resist - the voice on the phone always cracked me up

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Beginning of Aardvark "Tuntematon sotilas"

Most memorable broadcast ever from 3:10

There are radio-like segues between most/all the songs on "Songs For the Deaf."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOW4gk03FUs

Bill Laswell's first solo album, Basslines, has a few tunes where someone plays the radio as an instrument. Almost like early "scratching."

Not sure if this counts:

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Forgive me if I get this wrong (and I don't have the album with me now, as I'm out-of-state on a business trip) - but doesn't Man On Fire's Habitat feature the sound of a radio being tuned to different stations..?
    Yes, there is a short hidden track between two songs on Habitat that features a radio being switched between channels that stops on an extended (but short_ fretless bass solo before tuning in to the next song.

Steve
    www.10trecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It’s pretty cool, sort of Autobahn-era Kraftwerk meets Heldon with a touch of Zeuhl (Klaus Blasquiz and some other Magma personnel played on this).

Haven’t heard any of his other discs, but he was quietly influential. Jean-Michel Jarre borrowed/stole his idea for the “laser harp” (which appears on the cover of Brute Reason), while Gary Numan stole his look. And he’s one of the few musicians I know that owned an RSF Kobol (I guess the other owners were probably French, too. Pretty sure Jarre had one as well).
    I don't think Jean Michel Jarre, stole it. On The concerts in China Bernard Szajner is credited for the concept of the laser harp.

Seems like no one remembered the Aerosmith - Amazing, which contained the radio tuning bit as an outro of the song.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Telephone-(call in show)Butthole Surfers-22 Going On 23....hold on for Paul Leary's guitar in the middle of the track...outtasight.
    My fave Butthole Surfers track along with "The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave"

The intro to the Tubes live album "What do you want from Live?" starts with a radio changing stations (though it might be a TV). And Roger Waters "Radio KAOS" of course has a bit of dialog between a DJ and caller between each song (though it never changes stations).
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

John Lennon and Yoko Ono - "Radio Play"
    Sagittarius - "My World Fell Down" (may have been a television)

JOHN CAGE "Imaginary Landscape 4 -for 12 Radios" Music starts around 2 minutes mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BNsBlzQII

Songs with radio NOT switching stations:

ITITCH "Radio On"
    ART BEARS "Terrain"
    THIS HEAT "Radio Prague"
    THE TUBES "Up From The Deep"
    Last edited by Prehensile Pencil; 10-13-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Kate Bush - And Dream of Sheep. Has excerpts from the shipping forecast, which is broadcast on BBC radio every day/night

There is one on the INXS album, Welcome to Wherever You Are - can't remember which song but it is a great album.