Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Songs with the sound of a radio being tuned to different stations

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Radio: 'Forgotten Sons' beginning (you even hear 'Market Square Heroes' shortly)

Telephone: 'Moonshine On Heights' from Clepsydra's 'More Grains Of Sand' (and it's Pendragon's Nick Barrett talking on the phone).
    Plus: Mike Oldfield, all over 'Amarok' ('BUSY')

Silver Apples - Program (off their debut, s/t album)

which uses it throughout and in a really clever way that works with the lyrical content. My absolute favorite of this sort of thing.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Telephone:

2:45 (Sinclair: 'Hello?')

Telephone-(call in show)Butthole Surfers-22 Going On 23....hold on for Paul Leary's guitar in the middle of the track...outtasight.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

We did it on the tune Lesser Beings from our second album.

radio starts around 32:05

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

This is from the band(?) that does the cool cover of ELOs '10538 Overture'

Helloween used radio tuning at least twice, first on 'Starlight' and later on one of the songs on Keeper of the Seven Keys - The Legacy ('Occasion Avenue', I think).

The Ramones use it in 'Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?'

Queens of the Stone Age use it on several of the tracks on [i]Songs for the Deaf[i], although that's more song dividers than part of the songs proper.

Suspended
    I've spoken to a number of people who used to like ELO but got to hate that song "Telephone Line", which at one point in the late 1970's appeared to be on the radio every 10 minutes.

Jefferson James
    Radio station surfing intro (not my idea).

Telephone conversation? How about Pink Floyd, Young Lust? Reportedly, that's an actual telephone operator.. They actually arranged to place a transatlantic phone call, with the intent of recording the operator's reaction to hear a man answer a phone when presumably the caller's wife was expected to pick up. I believe I read they had to do it two or three times, because the first one or two operators didn't come back with an interesting enough response (or perhaps didn't respond at all, other than the say the connection was broken or whatever).

Telephone conversation? How about Pink Floyd, Young Lust? Reportedly, that's an actual telephone operator.. They actually arranged to place a transatlantic phone call, with the intent of recording the operator's reaction to hear a man answer a phone when presumably the caller's wife was expected to pick up. I believe I read they had to do it two or three times, because the first one or two operators didn't come back with an interesting enough response (or perhaps didn't respond at all, other than the say the connection was broken or whatever).

Yoko Ono has recorded pieces that contain nothing but a radio being tuned to different stations for over 12 minutes (Radio Play from John and Yoko's Unfinished Music Vol. 2: Life with the Lions - OK, that one also features the on/off switch of the radio being flicked rapidly) and her answering the phone (Telephone Piece from the album Fly). So that's 2/2 for Yoko.

Radio Tarifa's first album, the concept is this is supposed to be what one hears when tuning across the dial in some mythical country. Tuning sounds between every song, including some snippets of songs that aren't chosen to listen to. Kind of a hokey concept but it more-or-less works.

Thomas Dolby's Screen Kiss

Bill Nelsons Everyday is like a new drug

A song on side one of Hard Stuff's Bolex Dementia album from '73.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Suspended
    Telephone: At the end of "Dislocated Day" by Porcupine Tree, we hear what sounds like Steven Wilson speaking quickly to someone on the phone, before hanging up.

Of course the Big Bopper probably started things off with his one side of a phone call to his "baby", in this song:

Here's an astonishing piece of music trivia: according to the internet Accuracy Project:
    J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson .... was a rock 'n roll innovator who was the first to record a rock video. He also coined the term "music video" in an article back in the fifties.
    So you see, the idea didn't start with Michael Jackson.

Genesis - "Illegal Alien"
    Barenaked Ladies - "Enid"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Re: JP Richardson

J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson .... was a rock 'n roll innovator who was the first to record a rock video. He also coined the term "music video" in an article back in the fifties.
    And apparently he also unintentionally invented hip hop.

Telephone - Pink Floyd's "High Hopes".

The "speaking-clock" at the end of Vangelis's "Pulstar."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Tortilla Flat (German jazz-rock from the mid seventies). The start of the album. (Great album, by the way... like a jazzier Supersister).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muvc-6W7PpU

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Hawkwind:

Dave Brock also has one in the beginning of "Words of a Song"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jim Croce - Operator
    Not a real phone convo but it's supposed to be.

There’s also a call to a radio show near the end of the long (23 min.) track “Concepción” off of Home’s IX. Members of the band call into this radio talk show and then play this funny song called (I guess) “Girls Don’t Like It When I Touch Their Butt.” I have no idea if it’s a prank, for real, or a for-real prank.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...