Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The music of Lindsay Cooper event

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    What?! The Cow?!

Daaaamn...that is a scary impressive lineup/feat.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

chalkpie
    This is pretty much ridiculous:

The confirmed lineup features:

Alfred Harth
    Anne-Marie Roelofs
    Chris Cutler
    Dagmar Krause
    Fred Frith
    John Greaves
    Michel Berckmans from Univers Zero (bassoon)
    Phil Minton
    Sally Potter
    Tim Hodgkinson
    Veryan Weston
    Zeena Parkins

This is the one to be had.

Wonderful to see Sally Potter in there as well, although I'd expected nothing less.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Flights, where do I book Flights?!!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm in NYC.If i start swimming today i'll make it in plenty of time.

Epic line-up.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Would LOVE to see this. Best wishes that the event becomes sold-out.

I'm not up on my currency conversion...but those look like some very reasonable ticket prices. So yeah, I hope it is a very successful gig and an excellent tribute to Ms. Cooper.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Very sad that it took Lindsay dying to have Cow reform, but also really nice that they are doing it for such a good reason.

Sadly also missing (from the Oh Moscow band): Hugh Hopper.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm not up on my currency conversion...but those look like some very reasonable ticket prices. So yeah, I hope it is a very successful gig and an excellent tribute to Ms. Cooper.
    What does suck are the ticket prices to Europe from the states....we are thinking about a family trip to the UK sometime next year and round-trip tix seem to be hovering around $1k right now.

Holy Cow!

As soon as the tickets are on sale, I am going to fetch one and book the flight. What a surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What does suck are the ticket prices to Europe from the states....we are thinking about a family trip to the UK sometime next year and round-trip tix seem to be hovering around $1k right now.
    Sadly this one isn't in the cards for me; it is too close to the Thanksgiving holiday and I am already going to be traveling. But yeah, I feel for anyone who forks over the coin for an overseas flight (especially a family-size set of bookings!).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Got the ok from the wife to make the round trip between her birthday (16th) and Thanksgiving (27th), will be damned expensive but what the hell you only live once & its this gig or never. I hope it doesn't sell out before I get through for tickets, 5am is a bit early to jump online and order.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ones hopes it will be professionally recorded and videotaped for those of us who cannot attend. It would also help earn some more coin for the cause.

my best guess (and this is only a guess)

The Cow portion will be relatively small, since (I assume) (a) they will concentrate on Linday's 20' of compositions for the Cow and (b) they don't want to have to relearn all that hard stuff that they haven't played in 35 years and, in some cases, on instruments that they don't play any more (Tim hasn't played keyboards on stage to the best of my memory since Cow - it's all been clarinet and flat guitar and electronics and stuff).

well, I'm not going, but someone please report back here in November and let me know how wrong I was!

Last edited by Steve F.; 06-17-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Great news, too bad it's way too far away for me to even dream of attending! A professional recording would be nice; I'd buy it!
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

colouratura.bandcamp.com

485118_10151304277342679_906745595_n-1.jpg

I was lucky enough to meet Lindsay while working at Wave studio London in 1985
    She was very kind and patient with my nerdy fanboy enthusiasm and quite amazed to find out she had fans in the middle east
    and later to have witnessed The Film Group Live - unforgettable!

I saw Comicoperando: The Music of Robert Wyatt with some of the same musicians a few years ago and it was absolutely wonderful. I'm sure this is going to be even wonderfuller! Thanks for posting this. I know where I'm going to be in November!

It's been thirteen years since my last visit to London - Christ, it was two marriages back!

Looks as though I might have to return for this. I can hardly think of a better occasion, and the city's pretty nice at that time of year, with early winter coming on.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Damn.

This is beyond excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Ones hopes it will be professionally recorded and videotaped for those of us who cannot attend. It would also help earn some more coin for the cause.
    Amen to that!
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

chalkpie
    Man , I would LOOOVE to go to this. Wife won't go for it I'm sure, I am not even going to ask.

Imagine me sitting between Udester and Scrotum with us yelling "You guys suck...bring on The Fudge!".