Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can - Future Days

Can - Future Days

I know the popular opinion on this site is Tago Mago is their greatest achievement but for my prog ears Future Days is the pinnacle. For ppl looking
    for music to satisfy their spacey and Floyd itch; this is it....Any fans???
    Last edited by progman1975; 06-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's my favorite CAN album and my favorite German Psyche album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My fave Can album. Never understood why Czukay hated it.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Not my favorite but it is indeed very good.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I know the popular opinion on this site is Tago Mago is their greatest achievement
    It is? I thought the popular opnion was that Tago Mago was the one that was great *except* for the two meandering noise-fest tracks. I thought Future Days was the most highly regarded on this site.

Tago Mago is great but has never been one of my favorites. Those would be Ege Bamyasi, Soon Over Babaluma, and indeed Future Days.

Took me a while, but I enjoy this disc.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

There are a lot of unique and great moments on several Can albums...glad I don't have to claim one bests all others. With Future Days tho' it does seem like everything fits together as one big highly deluxe narcotic experience.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    It's actually my least favorite of that classic 'trilogy'. But I would still rate it 4/5.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    for the two meandering noise-fest tracks. .
    My favorites on the album.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

chalkpie
    Dude - LOVE this. I have to be in the mood - usually after the vaporizer warms up after 45 seconds - but yeah this is killer. "Bel Air" is the Close to the Edge for the rest of us

I bought this album when I was 14, thought the cover looked cool and although I did not have any Can albums, I did already had Amon Duul II Dance of the Lemmings, so I figured what the heck. It was awesome, still my Favorite Can release and one of MY top 10 krautrock releases of all time...!

Bel Air and (Pink Floyd's) Echos go great together on a comp CD...

I always concidered "Future Days" as CAN's best album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Of their 'second period', from Tago Mago through to Soon over Babaluma, I would certainly rate this gorgeous album the best. I'm afraid I have little time for sides 3 and 4 of TM which slightly mar its classic status in my eyes.

But my go to discs for Can are almost always the raucous early discs.

I adore this one. I get why Damo left after this; there wasn't much for him to do other than mumble in the background in the band's new "ambient" direction. I love it though. Wonderful music to mellow out to. "Bel Air" is pure sonic bliss.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    "Bel Air" is the Close to the Edge for the rest of us

word

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    This is a beautiful album, and the one a reach for most often when I want some CAN. I like the noisefests on the other albums, but have to be in a particular mood for it. This one seems to meet me in most moods. It is both accessible and uncompromising, a rare treat.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

My single fave Can release; love it from start to finish, and "Bel Air" is arguably one of the truly underrated epics of the 70s.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I love Tago Mago, but Ege Bamyasi leaves me scratching my head. Still need to get this one.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I love Tago Mago, but Ege Bamyasi leaves me scratching my head. Still need to get this one.
    These exact three are the "sacred" ones AFAIC, although I like Monster Movie and Babaluma as well. There are some really good parts on both Dealy 1968 and Unlimited Edition too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Monster Movie is pretty good, too. I'll have to dust off Ege Bamyasi, but my memory of it wasn't very positive.

^^^
    You may be in for a treat ...Spoon, I'm So Green and Vitamin C have grooves that could probably make a corpse start moving. Can't believe some inferior beings haven't made big cash from sampling them yet.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Monster Movie is pretty good, too. I'll have to dust off Ege Bamyasi, but my memory of it wasn't very positive.
    Really? Try Ege again bro....it doesn't sucketh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    ^^^
    You may be in for a treat ...Spoon, I'm So Green and Vitamin C have grooves that could probably make a corpse start moving. Can't believe some inferior beings haven't made big cash from sampling them yet.
    Kanye West sampled "Sing Swan Song" which was....odd. I do find it amusing that Kanye not only sampled a Can song, but a rather obscure one at that.

As for Future Days - totally classic - I put it along with La Dusseldorf's s/t and Cluster's Soweisoso as albums that are very relaxing and unique, that still sound modern today
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Future Days is my fave.