Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not the greatest hits

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Maybe I should have just said 'forgotten hits', no matter how high they charted.

One example of the above is Styx' 'Mr. Roboto'. Wasn't this is huge hit in the States? But hasn't it been forgotten already? In the Netherlands, this wasn't a hit at all, doubt it was even released. It's not in the collective memory of the Dutch, and the one time I let this song hear to my girlfriend saying this was a big chartposition for the band, she looked at me if I was joking. Because, well, come on! Domo Arigato Mr Roboto!
    No, I wouldn't say it's forgotten. It was used in a car commercial a few years ago (to demonstrate the noise dampening capabilities of the vehicle, they show a guy sitting in a car in a parking lot, sort of doing robot style movements, then finally after like 20 seconds of this, his friend comes back to the car, opens the door and you hear the intro, then at the end of the commercial, they're driving along miming to the song). In one episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, where we learn that Carl is a Styx fan, he mentions seeing them on the Kilroy Was Here tour, "ya know, with the giant Roboto head". Carl also knows the name of Dennis DeYoung's first solo album off the top of his head, which strikes me as just plain weird.

Suspended
    I've never heard Mr Roboto, but I don't like much of what I have heard from Styx. I don't care if I never hear Babe again.

Years ago, I used to regularly make mix-tapes and cd-r mixes of what I called "Forgotten Gems" i.e. the non-hit,non-single almost forgotten album tracks off my favorite non-hit almost forgotten albums.
    So here are my Neil Young recommendations for one great forgotten non-hit, non-single track from each of my favlorite esser known albums up to Sleeps With Angels, which in 94 was the last one that was easily available on vinyl, after that all my NY albums are on CD until Americana, which I found on vinyl:

String Quartet from Whiskey Boot Hill (NY)
    Don't Be Denied (Time Fades Away)
    For the Turnstiles (On the Beach)
    New Mama (Tonight's the Night)
    Saddle up the Palomino (American Stars 'n Bars)
    Motorcycle Mama (Comes a Time)
    Captain Kennedy (Hawks & Doves)
    Southern Pacific (Reactor)
    Sample & Hold (Trans)
    Once an Angel (Old Ways)
    Old King (Harvest Moon)

Damn, I wish I could get ahold of the vinyl version of Neil Young's Trans. I think he made a mistake by remixing the album for the CD reissue. I'd particularly love to a surface noise free version of Sample And Hold. He totally frelled up the intro on the CD.