Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New BBC Genesis documentary- "Together & Apart"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Emerson & Lake never really got along personally from what I can tell, they almost broke up three times within a year of forming because of Lake's insistence that they go with EG Management instead of Tony Stratton Smith > Lake sneaking around recording Lucky Man > Lake's initial rejection of the Tarkus suite. Pink Floyd, yikes, what a mess between Gilmour & Waters and Waters & Wright starting around 1975 and continuing to this day. Robert Fripp had trouble with his people skills, to put it politely, during the initial run of King Crimson. I like the story that he barely said a word to Boz, Mel and Ian on the final American tour as the Islands band finished imploding or telling BB, AB & TL that he was breaking up the Discipline band while they were eating breakfast on tour. Yes: Jon telling Tony Kaye he was out of the band while Kaye was lying in bed with a hangover. etc.

Having played in bands and dealt with all the nonsense that goes with that, it's often a miracle to me that bands last more than a week, let alone years.

As for a Genesis documentary, unless there's a complete filmed performance of The Lamb from 1974/75 included, I'm not interested.
    Rick Wakeman said that when he joined Yes his first thoughts were "well, it was nice while it lasted". He couldn't believe a band could argue so much and still stay together.

I was reading the sleeve notes for 'Going For The One' and it almost implies that Steve Howe took up transcendental meditation to cope with having to work with Rick Wakeman again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Having played in bands and dealt with all the nonsense that goes with that, it's often a miracle to me that bands last more than a week, let alone years.
    Yeah, seriously. Most of the past band experiences I've had were lucky to reach a year without imploding.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I was reading the sleeve notes for 'Going For The One' and it almost implies that Steve Howe took up transcendental meditation to cope with having to work with Rick Wakeman again.
    I'd have to re-read those notes but I've always been under the impression that Rick and Steve were one of the only pairs who didn't have issues with each other. A notes-per-second rivalry, yes, but AFAIK they've always gotten along.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Steve and Bill I think got on well, didn't Bill give Dylan Howe drum lessons? And Steve mentions how him and Bill enjoyed the ABWH project on the 'Classic Artists' DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    To be honest, what I would most like to see from the Genesis camp is an "Official Bootleg" series stretching back as far back as they've got soundboards for.

That being said, I'm a real sucker for interviews - I loved the ones on the remix boxes, and I'd love to see a kind of 'round table discussion' interview with the five of them just reminiscing. I'd watch that for hours!
    Pretty much exactly where I am too! Maybe I'd add interest in the release of some full concerts from the many multi-track tapes that (presumably) still exit at The Farm. At their age, and stage of career, I'm just not sure is even remotely plausible to think that they could pull off a live show that wouldn't be anything more than a nostalgic reminder of what they once were. And no reason to think that they could come up with new material that would magically harken back to their most creative days. I think any sensible person, and they all seem extremely sensible, would conclude that either of those things are best left in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Pretty much exactly where I am too! Maybe I'd add interest in the release of some full concerts from the many multi-track tapes that (presumably) still exit at The Farm. At their age, and stage of career, I'm just not sure is even remotely plausible to think that they could pull off a live show that wouldn't be anything more than a nostalgic reminder of what they once were. And no reason to think that they could come up with new material that would magically harken back to their most creative days. I think any sensible person, and they all seem extremely sensible, would conclude that either of those things are best left in the past.
    I'm mostly with you here, although personally I'd be up for some new studio material, just to see what they'd come up with at this point. They are different men in their 60s than in their 20s (as all men are), but if they threw caution to the wind, got in a room and jammed, who's to say some great music couldn't emerge? Hackett is still a prolific writer, and Banks would no doubt come to the fore. Collins and Rutherford, I could see being more fence-sitters, going with the flow. PG is the wildcard IMO... after decades on his own, answering to nobody, could he go back to that band dynamic? Would Banks throw stuff at him in a rage again?

I've said for years now I have no interest in a reunion tour. I did see PG on his So tour last year and enjoyed it, but that is a different animal. This documentary on the other hand, I (cautiously) look forward to. I mean, I've loved every one that's been made... I remember buying the "A History" video in 1990 on VHS and watching it to death, even bringing it with me to the fast-food place I worked (I was a teen then) to watch it on the training video equipment. And I've rabidly watched every one since then... but as I mused earlier, how much more can be said about their history without rehashing all the same stuff? I presume they will be making it for an audience they figure hasn't seen any of the other docs...
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Or they could come up with new music that just sounds like how they want to sound now. There's no reason why it would have to harken back to the way they sounded 30 years ago.

Personally, while the "Official Bootleg" idea would be awesome, I would also love to just hear some new music from these guys at this stage in their careers.

Considering that Hackett and Rutherford are the only ones really creating any "new music" these days, and that none of us here really cares about Rutherford's recent stuff, I find it interesting that so many are interested in hearing new music from these guys, or think that any of them are inclined to do that.

Gabriel and Collins obviously have no interest in creating or recording new material. Banks is kind of the wild card, I guess. But, again, would they want to invest the energy and passion needed to go through the entire creative process to record new material? The arguments, the negotiations, etc.? Personally, I don't see it happening. And that's okay.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Considering that Hackett and Rutherford are the only ones really creating any "new music" these days, and that none of us here really cares about Rutherford's recent stuff, I find it interesting that so many are interested in hearing new music from these guys, or think that any of them are inclined to do that.

Gabriel and Collins obviously have no interest in creating or recording new material. Banks is kind of the wild card, I guess. But, again, would they want to invest the energy and passion needed to go through the entire creative process to record new material? The arguments, the negotiations, etc.? Personally, I don't see it happening. And that's okay.
    It's fun to dream about, and fun to discuss it. Whether the guys have any inclination at all to jam together again, who knows. Either way it's ultimately okay, but I would love to hear something new from them. It wouldn't have to sound like anything other than themselves at this point in time.

"The group politic is a tricky one." - Eric Clapton
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Has anyone mentioned that contrary to Phil Collins not being able to play he was making good recovery..? Wasn't that a thing? Didn't he also play with some school recently or was that more of a conducting/only singing thing? i really wasn't that invested to dig further into this...

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Has anyone mentioned that contrary to Phil Collins not being able to play he was making good recovery..? Wasn't that a thing? Didn't he also play with some school recently or was that more of a conducting/only singing thing? i really wasn't that invested to dig further into this...
    Singing only, with kids playing instruments. Wait, he did play tambourine I don't think a reunion musically requires Phil to play drums, there are many drummers that could fill in. But this is not likely to be a musical reunion. It sounds just like the last history special.
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

In 2010:
    Harry S Truman

UPDATE 24/11/2013: The german boulevard newspaper "Bild" quotes Phil: "I'm thinking about doing some shows again, even with Genesis. Everything is possible. We could tour in Australia and South America. We haven't been there yet". Click here to see the whole article (in German!). The "Hamburger Abendblatt" has published a similar article here.

http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Phi...ible-n381.html
    Harry S Truman

Never knew he was lefty...if that's the right term hmmm.

You're kidding, of course being a left handed drummer myself, I am biased, but left handers are over represented in the class of superior drummers.
    Harry S Truman

Left handed drummers:

Dominic Howard (Muse)
    Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
    Joey Waronker(Beck, R.E.M.)
    Travis Barker (Blink-182) plays a right-handed kit, but leads with his left hand
    Chris Adler (Lamb of God) plays on a right-handed set of drums leading with the left hand at times and the left foot at times but plays closed on the hi hat and open on the ride[citation needed]
    Daryl Atkins (Arcane Roots)
    Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band) plays on a right-handed drum kit, frequently open-handed.
    Simon Phillips plays a right-handed kit.
    Rich Beddoe (Finger Eleven)
    Mike Bordin (Ozzy Osbourne, Faith No More) uses a right-handed setup, but with his primary ride cymbal on his left.
    Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick) alternates between left-handed and right-handed playing
    Chloe (Smoosh)
    Shawn Drover (Megadeth), (Eidolon) plays open-handed
    Phil Collins (Genesis, solo)
    Scott Columbus (Manowar)
    Jonny Cragg (Spacehog)
    Joe Daniels (Local H)
    Tommy Decker (Spineshank)
    Micky Dolenz (The Monkees) right-handed, but plays a modified left-handed kit
    Joe Easley (The Dismemberment Plan)
    Joe English
    Joshua Eppard (Coheed and Cambria)
    Fenriz (Darkthrone)
    Ginger Fish (Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie)
    Dominator (Nils Fjellström) (Dark Funeral)
    Mike Gibbins (Badfinger)
    Cameron Greenwood (Terrorvision)
    Zachary Hanson (Hanson)
    Ian Haugland (Europe)
    Steve Hewitt[5] (Placebo)
    Mark Jackson (VNV Nation)
    Steve Jansen (Japan, The Dolphin Brothers, Nine Horses)
    Pierre Langlois (The Black Dahlia Murder)
    Derrick McKenzie (Jamiroquai)
    David Milhous (Lippy's Garden) right-handed and plays a complete left-handed kit
    Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs), (Winger), (Jelly Jam), (Platypus)
    Steve Negus (Saga)
    Jerry Nolan (New York Dolls, The Heartbreakers)
    Pat Pengelly (Bedouin Soundclash)
    Brett Reed (Rancid)
    Neil Sanderson (Three Days Grace)
    Robert Schultzberg (Placebo)
    Tiger Si (Black Spiders)
    Al Sobrante (Green Day)
    Michael "Moose" Thomas (Bullet For My Valentine) plays on a right-handed kit, but leads with his left hand
    Javier Weyler (Stereophonics)
    Robbie Yeats (The Dead C)
    Buddy Miles
    Tim Fogarty (El Ten Eleven)
    Dennis Wilson (The Beach Boys)
    Mick Pointer (Marillion, Arena)
    Notes
    Ringo Starr is naturally left-handed but was taught to write right-handed. His drums are set up for right-handed playing, but he leads with his left hand.
    Christopher Guanlao of Silversun Pickups is left-handed but plays a right-handed set primarily in "open style" (opposite to cross handed) and has his ride cymbal to his left.
    Josh Eppard of Terrible Things and Coheed and Cambria also drums open-handed (left-handed on a right-handed kit) but writes right-handed.
    Harry S Truman

Sebastian Thomson - Trans Am

So, the first rumors about an actual show start to appear:

http://rockinsights.com/rock-insights-news/103461

the BBC seems to have persuaded Genesis members to perform together for the first time since Peter Gabriel parted ways with Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Steve Hackett. The reunion concert will be the highlight of a documentary that will delve into the history of the Prog Rock masters -
    I don't believe it. But it it happens, I'll be first in line to get tickets!

Henning

Regarding Steve and Tony, a couple years ago Steve was asked on his facebook page if he would like to work with Tony again at some point, and Steve's reply was that indeed he would, and that he had even gone so far as to ask Tony, and that he was into it if ever Tony was.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Regarding Steve and Tony, a couple years ago Steve was asked on his facebook page if he would like to work with Tony again at some point, and Steve's reply was that indeed he would, and that he had even gone so far as to ask Tony, and that he was into it if ever Tony was.
    I think tony was going to contribute to GR1, but in the end got cold feet and backed out.

The photo is grouped as they were:
    Gabriel - 1st vocalist.
    Hackett - 2nd guitarist.
    R/C/B - The later "Genesis" that many people only knew about, and the most lucrative.

That's why I wondered why RCB are not split up by PG, and SH...

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I think tony was going to contribute to GR1, but in the end got cold feet and backed out.
    I seem to remember he was going to play on "Los Endos", and his backing out was the reason why the track was left off until the 2nd edition of the album, released a year or so later.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

Yes, I'm sure that Hackett and Banks are fine these days. Looking back at that 2010 Rock Hall Of Fame interview I mentioned, they are kind of throwaway remarks really- something of an 'atmosphere' but then again one is more used to seeing the trio together and I'm sure it was the same for them. I did notice that Tony went out of his way on the DVD interviews to praise Steve's work on the classic albums.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I seem to remember he was going to play on "Los Endos", and his backing out was the reason why the track was left off until the 2nd edition of the album, released a year or so later.
    Never realized that there was an edition released without "Los Endos."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally