Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New BBC Genesis documentary- "Together & Apart"

Notive that only Banks is not smiling in that picture?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Notive that only Banks is not smiling in that picture?
    That IS him smiling.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It's always the same! When they toured in 2007, people were going on about how 'miserable' Tony Banks looked then as well. I don't think he is, that's just how he comes across.

I do think this picture puts to bed the idea of any unrest between them. There are many great rock acts that you'll never again get key members in the same room.

No, I think he's far from miserable. He's just got that proper British stiff-upper-lip thing, along with being more quiet and reserved than some of the others. Plenty of people like that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Click.. Click... Click click... Ok That's good boys.. That's it... smile... Now Show me the love Click Click... click click.... OK relax... take a break..

Can we switch this around a little... OK Tony could you and Peter move together in the middle, Tony... lay your head on Peter's shoulder.......... cricket cricket cricket cricket... Door slam.... cricket cricket...
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I swear to god, if I have to hear one more time, Mike Rutherford say "Looking back, that song seems a bit busy", or hear Phil talk about moving to Vancouver in '79 while Mike & Tony did their solo albums, or PG talking about knowing Phil was a good drummer by the way he say at his kit...

Really hoping for something a little different this time. I'd like to hear Mike & Phil talking about playing on Voyage Of The Acolyte, for a random example.
    The 'symbol of the revolution' quote is one I could certainly do without. The 'problem' with them is, they were probably too well-adjusted for the music business! There's very, very little in the way of 'scandal'...the closest there's ever been was Phil Collins' period of making tabloid headlines in the 90s, which these days seem laughably tame. So documentaries on them tread the same ground.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I do think this picture puts to bed the idea of any unrest between them. There are many great rock acts that you'll never again get key members in the same room.
    Something I've always admired about the members of Genesis is how professionally they've handled themselves over the years. I mean, clearly there have been disagreements and disappointments from Person X over decision Y...but in interviews and commentaries they've always struck me as gracious toward one another. Even Wilson who might arguably have the most to be disgruntled about always frames his criticisms in fairly professional terms.

When compared with some of the comments from ELP, Pink Floyd (circa the 80's), or some of the behind-the-scenes workings of Yes nowadays...it's kind of refreshing to see a band that seems to have consistently taken the high road with regards to their relationships.

Given the extensive amount of interviews and comments on the remasters a few years ago, I can't imagine the BBC doc covering radically new ground. I suppose one possibility is that it could be very interesting to see them all together in the same room, chatting about the past. There could be some fun, even lively, chatter in that sort of setting if done right.

Just my $0.02.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Earlier in this thread someone on here implied that Tony Banks and Steve Hackett don't like eachother or have some kind of issues(hence them not standing next to each other). What's up with that?

^I think there has been more tension with these two- it was evident on that R&RHOF induction interview whereby Steve was making silly jokes and Tony was doing this whole 'who is this guy' thing. But nothing exactly major, as I said. Sometimes personalities don't really go together that well, without there being any serious flare-ups.

If you think that's major, bear in mind Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan, who I believe you will *never* see in one room again. And the politics of all the different Yes line-ups. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have also had quite a bit of 'back and forth' over the years as well, even a few weeks ago Page was quoted as not being happy with Plant's ducking-and-diving over a potential Led Zeppelin reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Earlier in this thread someone on here implied that Tony Banks and Steve Hackett don't like eachother or have some kind of issues
    I suspect that is a popular misconception that has been massively exaggerated on forums like this one, and has very little substance to it.
    I think some of it stems from a throwaway joke Banks made in a documentary in the early 90s, when talking about Hackett leaving the band during the mixing of Seconds Out.
    Something like "so we mixed him out of the album and that was that..." and then laughed. Some folks have taken that bit of English humour far too literally.

Actually, the member who has made some genuinely dismissive remarks about Hackett on a few occasions is Rutherford - a case of envious insecurity from an inferior guitarist, I suspect.
    Also, it's very easy to take a few quotes in interviews out of context and blow them out of all proportion.

My sense is that the five members of the classic line-up all get on well enough.

^I think there has been more tension with these two- it was evident on that R&RHOF induction interview whereby Steve was making silly jokes and Tony was doing this whole 'who is this guy' thing. But nothing exactly major, as I said. Sometimes personalities don't really go together that well, without there being any serious flare-ups.
    There was some well documented animosity between Tony and Steve around the time Steve left the band. Tony has a very strong personality and ended up getting most of his musical ideas across, often at the expense of Steve's own. At least that's how Steve felt at the time, I'm not sure Tony himself had anything against Steve. Anyway, I think Steve's resentment against Tony came across in some interviews around that time, but apparently it's water under the bridge. In the Chapter and Verse book, Steve seemed much less passionate about what went on back then, and it would seem they have patched up their differences.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Over the years, Tony and Steve have often been very complimentary of each other in musical terms. Banks claims that he was sorry to see Hackett leave the band, as he felt he was losing an ally, someone who liked to do some of the same weird instrumental stuff that Collins and Rutherford sometimes turned their noses up at.... so when he attempted some of that stuff on the subsequent albums he found himself on his own more often. Certainly in the past there have been incidents where Steve felt not enough of his material was making it to the albums, in favour of so much of Tony's, but that appears to be more of a disgruntled view of the whole band at the time as opposed to specific bad feelings towards any one member individually.

Here's Tony and Steve backstage after one of Steve's gigs some years ago:

62b5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Here's Tony and Steve backstage after one of Steve's gigs some years ago:

62b5.jpg
    That's the biggest smile I've ever seen on Tony....and he's cozy with Hackett?! confused...

Another article about this just showed up on another site I hang at...here's the link...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...cumentary.html
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I think I will say...pleasant. Glad to see them together. I hope they all have a lovely dinner together, then go home. No tour, no album. Keep the book closed & keep the dignity intact.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Honestly, I believe the G-men are apprehensive about the reception that any new material or a new tour would get.

But the thing is, they really shouldn't be. They should think about whether they themselves would enjoy doing it, and would it be fun for them doing what they want to do and making the music they would want to make. There will always be detractors, but there are likely to be many more people who are just glad to see the guys together again and (hopefully) having fun.

Edit: And before someone posts another one of those "Phil can't play" responses, yes I am fully aware of the circumstances surrounding the group. Doesn't mean Phil can't write music or sing anymore.

At best, they may get together for a short, low-key, maybe sort-of-acoustic performance of a cross-section of old and not-so-old material ("Carpet Crawler", "Lovers Leap" from "Supper's Ready", etc.)... Just for the feel-good aspect of being seen performing together but avoiding close comparisons with the original versions. This would also allow Collins to either stick to singing or play some undemanding percussion part.

That wouldn't be much, but it would be cool. And would probably avoid a major disappointment.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    That's the biggest smile I've ever seen on Tony....and he's cozy with Hackett?! confused...
    Yeah and I remember steve talking about going to Tonys house for a birthday party a few years ago.

In chapter and verse, tony said he really missed Steve's playing on and then there was three. Specifically, he said Steve could have done a much better solo on burning rope than what mike came up with.

The 'symbol of the revolution' quote is one I could certainly do without. The 'problem' with them is, they were probably too well-adjusted for the music business! There's very, very little in the way of 'scandal'...the closest there's ever been was Phil Collins' period of making tabloid headlines in the 90s, which these days seem laughably tame. So documentaries on them tread the same ground.
    I'm not interested in a discourse on any seedy, lurid behavioral issues. There's enough of that kind of journalism in magazines like RS. What I would like to hear about is any in depth discussion on the creation of some of the most unique music in rock history (like Acolyte for instance). But judging by their detached, vapid acceptance at the RRHOF (Phil reading a 'laundry list' of thank you's), I won't hold my breath. Compare that to Rush's recent acceptance where they spoke with passion, insight and humor giving a glimpse into what it's like to be in one of the greatest rock bands.

Regarding the past ostricization of Steve Hackett, there's a very interesting PC interview from 1982 which shows that there was some serious tension between the two. It looks like things have been patched over time.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think it's a great photo. The entire band looks very healthy and happy to have the group picture. As for the rest, I'll wait for the press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    At best, they may get together for a short, low-key, maybe sort-of-acoustic performance of a cross-section of old and not-so-old material ("Carpet Crawler", "Lovers Leap" from "Supper's Ready", etc.)... Just for the feel-good aspect of being seen performing together but avoiding close comparisons with the original versions. This would also allow Collins to either stick to singing or play some undemanding percussion part.

That wouldn't be much, but it would be cool. And would probably avoid a major disappointment.
    This would be really cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Tony Banks is thinking...

I could be home gardening instead of standing here with these clowns.
    I don't need any more money after the Invisible Touch tour, why am I here?
    Why did they invite Hackett to this? No one likes him.
    This is a bad idea, now people will start speculating that we are getting back together.
    I can't believe we lost to Italy (world cup humor).
    Why do they all look better than me?
    Or...
    I'm smiling, really, this is me smiling...

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    When compared with some of the comments from ELP, Pink Floyd (circa the 80's), or some of the behind-the-scenes workings of Yes nowadays...it's kind of refreshing to see a band that seems to have consistently taken the high road with regards to their relationships.
    Emerson & Lake never really got along personally from what I can tell, they almost broke up three times within a year of forming because of Lake's insistence that they go with EG Management instead of Tony Stratton Smith > Lake sneaking around recording Lucky Man > Lake's initial rejection of the Tarkus suite. Pink Floyd, yikes, what a mess between Gilmour & Waters and Waters & Wright starting around 1975 and continuing to this day. Robert Fripp had trouble with his people skills, to put it politely, during the initial run of King Crimson. I like the story that he barely said a word to Boz, Mel and Ian on the final American tour as the Islands band finished imploding or telling BB, AB & TL that he was breaking up the Discipline band while they were eating breakfast on tour. Yes: Jon telling Tony Kaye he was out of the band while Kaye was lying in bed with a hangover. etc.

Having played in bands and dealt with all the nonsense that goes with that, it's often a miracle to me that bands last more than a week, let alone years.

As for a Genesis documentary, unless there's a complete filmed performance of The Lamb from 1974/75 included, I'm not interested.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Pink Floyd, yikes, what a mess between Gilmour & Waters starting around 1975 and continuing to this day.
    They seem to have patched things up a year or two ago. Gilmour joined Waters for a tune during RW's "The Wall" tour, Mason joining them both at the end for bows. Waters joined Gilmour for a 4 song set for one of DG's benefits a short time later.
    (Your point is taken of course.)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

If you think that's major, bear in mind Ritchie Blackmore and Ian Gillan, who I believe you will *never* see in one room again. And the politics of all the different Yes line-ups. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have also had quite a bit of 'back and forth' over the years as well, even a few weeks ago Page was quoted as not being happy with Plant's ducking-and-diving over a potential Led Zeppelin reunion.
    Don't forget about Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend who have also had a bit of back and forth.

Yeah I know about Ian and Richie. Two huge egos will do that. Same thing with all these guys actually.