Thread: The Gentler Side of Prog

The Gentler Side of Prog

In tonight's program, "The Many Facets of Prog", on Two Lochs Radio (www.2lr.co.uk) a few minutes after 10pm UK time (repeated same time on Friday), I will be playing music that represents the gentler side of prog. I will be playing Mystery, Opeth, Steve Hackett, Astra, Pallas, Arena, Moongarden, Martin Orford, Big Big Train, Blackfield and Gazpacho.

Hope you can listen in to some of the show.

Cheers,
    Alan

No Cirrus Bay? (complex, yet often gentle and beautiful)

The gentler side IMO would be Thick As A Brick, the harder side would be much of what followed it....

I'd put things like 'River of Life' by PFM, 'Mad Man Moon', 'And You And I', or for more modern stuff, select tracks from Cirrus Bay, Big Big Train, etc... I admit I've never listened to some of the artists mentioned, such as Pallas, Opeth and Arena, but somehow I was under the impression those artists were not gentle.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd play Celeste S/T - perfect.

Or Serge Fiori? Harmonium? Look we're going to drive the OP, Alan, nuts with all the artists WE think he should play

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'd play Celeste S/T - perfect.

BTW, I don't know proggy songs more gentle than Lady Of The Dancing Water, Cadence & Cascade, I Talk to the Wind.

Suspended
    I'd be interested to know whether you feature nosound, who are about as gentle as progressive gets.

Also I asked earlier, but got no answer: is the program podcast? I don't see any podcast links.

PROVIDENCE "Ever sense the dawn" (1972)
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Rael-Imperial View Post
    In tonight's program, "The Many Facets of Prog", on Two Lochs Radio (www.2lr.co.uk) a few minutes after 10pm UK time (repeated same time on Friday), I will be playing music that represents the gentler side of prog. I will be playing Mystery, Opeth, Steve Hackett, Astra, Pallas, Arena, Moongarden, Martin Orford, Big Big Train, Blackfield and Gazpacho.
    ???? BY gentler do you simply mean Neo? There's nothing remotely gentle with about 90% of Arena's, Pallas' or Opeth's output.

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    I admit I've never listened to some of the artists mentioned, such as Pallas, Opeth and Arena, but somehow I was under the impression those artists were not gentle.
    Your impression is entirely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ???? BY gentler do you simply mean Neo? There's nothing remotely gentle with about 90% of Arena's, Pallas' or Opeth's output.
    I’d say Damnation is a pretty gentle album
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Mindflower - - Little Enchanted Void

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    PROVIDENCE "Ever sense the dawn" (1972)
    Nice album. Haven't heard it in 30 years. Be a cool one to seek out on cd.

For me the epitome of the gentler side is Camel. Also Gnidrilog, Gryphon, Oldfield, Caravan. BJH and Moody Blues are gentle in a way I find less satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Homburg View Post
    For me the epitome of the gentler side is Camel. Also Gnidrilog, Gryphon, Oldfield, Caravan. BJH and Moody Blues are gentle in a way I find less satisfying.
    Bet you'd like Cirrus Bay, I and Thou, and Mindflower!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...