Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Cross

David Cross

Is there room for another King Crimson related thread here? I was thinking that I wanted to give David Cross' off shoot releases a chance. Can anyone recommend essential CDs from this former KC member? Thanks in advance.

Library Jon

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Only one - Exiles
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-15-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Only one - Exiles
    Been meaning to pick this up since I don't know when.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My comments from the other KC solo's thread-
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    His first, "Memo's From Purgatory"; very dark instrumentals, brilliant. Also his vocal added albums (not his voice) "Big Picture"; key cuts = "Black Ice", "Brake" and the lovely instrumental "Sundays"; "Testing To Destruction" has an incredibly powerful opening track called "Learning Curve" and his "Exiles" release features Fripp going off on a tune with Peter Hammill singing, "Troppo". Wetton's on it too.
    There is some amazing stuff out there in DC solo land. Actually goes in a direction I had wished KC ventured in. Incredible musicians (why would anyone think otherwise?) accompany him too.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I only have Exiles but think it's great...of course Exiles is my fave song of all time so
    I'm using the chicken to measure it...

not david cross from mr show?bannanna.jpg

Exiles is a solid album.

Testing To Destruction is good..Exiles is probably his best - Fripp, Wetton contributed, plus Hammill..A couple of good tracks on Radius.

Check out this album, released in 1987 and proggy as hell, featuring Keith Tippett as well:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I have Low Flying Aircraft & Memos From Purgatory. Love them both. Don't have Exiles. Need to rectify that ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by claycorn View Post
    not david cross from mr show?bannanna.jpg

Mr. Show is hilarious.

As for the violin-playing David Cross, I used to have Testing to Destruction but I didn't like it at all.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Exiles has that great song with Peter Hammill... I love the delivery of .... le jeaux sans fait
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

As for the violin-playing David Cross, I used to have Testing to Destruction but I didn't like it at all.
    I didn't "get it" either.

I bought David Cross' "Exiles" CD and have listened to it twice now. I am really enjoying it. When I have time and money to get around to another CD of his, What do you guys recommend? More of the same would be fine.

Library Jon

Apparently he's recording an album with David Jackson.

I agree with Exiles, and Low Flying Aircraft.

I also remember some of the work he did with the band Radius was not too bad. Arc Measuring in particular had some good material.

My only question is, why isn't this thread in the prog forum?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Apparently he's recording an album with David Jackson.
    Yeah. I wonder about that. I found a YT vid of them listening to something. It was uploaded in 2010.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone heard his latest album "Crossing the Tracks" and have and opinion on it?

Mmm, I've been wanting to hear Low Flying Aircraft ever since reading the review of it in Guitar Player back when it was released.

David has lots of great albums under his belt. Just got "Crossing the Tracks" but have yet to listen. Also this post should be moved to PE's Main Page. After all David Cross is certainly prog.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It’s not as good as his last few releases, but I need to give it a few more spins.

I'm glad for this thread because it's a reminder for me to pick up 'Exiles', which I haven't even heard all the way through but always wanted to. The KC track 'Exiles' is one of my favorite KC tracks of all time, and I know David Cross co-wrote that song with Fripp, and of course R. Palmer-James.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I quite like it on first spin (which is all I've had so far). It's dramatic in a picturesque movie-soundtrack kind of way. The classic-rock cover is a 'wtf' kind of moment, but not enough to derail things. I may end up liking it a bit more than Sign of the Crow since it's got fewer vocal tracks and a strong Indian streak, which are both right up my alley.

I just ordered online copies of David Cross' "Crossing The Tracks" CD as well as David Cross & David Jackson's "Another Day" CD. Hopefully, they will come in the mail in a few days. I will post my thoughts on them once they arrive and I listen to them a few times.

Library Jon

Besides Exiles and Testing To Destruction I also have Close Than Skin (2005). At times quite heavy "nuovo-metal" KC-like, but also with some more melodic stuff: