Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MILES DAVIS: What's next for my collection / What biography to read?

Today I was in the middle of what I thought was four days off from work, when a sudden phone call (that I shouldn't have answered) chopped that in half to two days, which meant I now had mere hours of freedom left. First world problems, I know, but I was really looking forward to two more days off, as anyone would. Anyway, as a reward for picking up the extra shifts, I ordered myself the 2nd. quintet boxed set. A gift to myself, from myself... with all my love.

Loving the Carr book so far too!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Get the Miles autobiography, as well. I haven't read the Carr book, but Miles' own telling of his tale is quite a read. The fusion period makes a lot more sense when you understand the context of his entire career.

One of my favorite Miles records is Dave Douglas's The Infinite. ;-) Highly recommended for fans of Miles early electric period.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ2MQ--38ec
    Last edited by Father Tiresias; 06-24-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well I was wondering about that Cellar Door Sessions 6CD box since that is a more expansive version of it. Of course, that is out of print...
    PopCrush has it for $99.99 right now, far more than it cost originally but way under what it's fetching on Amazon.

You may not like the clip below based on the albums mentioned previously, but I think Miles' later electric period is pretty incredible. Also, the live at Montreux box set of this 80's period is excellent with Robben Ford and John Scofield tearing up the fretboard (with other stellar musicians). The clip below contains one of my all-time favorite guitar solos. Mike Stern, aka Fat Time takes it. Oh and get "We Want Miles" if you like this.