Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 201

Thread: Obscure 70's American Prog Albums

  1. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,882
    Another Abandoned Dream (1981) by Masque Premiere

    Bandcamp link



    Released October 15, 1981

    Remastered release 20 September 2014

    Personnel:

    Jim Jose - Vocals, Grand Piano, Yamaha CP30, Yamaha CS60, Arp Odyssey, Arp String Ensemble, Arp Omni 2.
    Forrest York - Vocals, Yamaha SG2000 Elect.Gtr, Arp Avatar, Arp String Ensemble (via Pedals), Mellotron.
    Bruce Tanksley - Drums, Glockenspiel
    Mark James - Rickenbacker Bass, Backing Vocals

    Not from the 70s, it was recorded in 1980, but an obscure and very nice Symphonic rock album that deserved to be mentioned in this thread.

  2. #177
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    968
    Flying Island (1975)

    From my hometown Greenwich, Ct., not on CD.

    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  3. #178
    Member ashratom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Flying Island (1975)

    From my hometown Greenwich, Ct., not on CD.
    Yep - a bummer as both albums are excellent prog fusion. When Comet had the legal license to reissue the Vanguard catalog, I was surprised they left these two out. At least the original LPs aren't expensive, and that's what I own.

  4. #179
    Member ashratom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    ^^I think Seventh Wave was a band from the U.K., releasing their albums on Gulf Records.
    Yep - that's correct. Post Second Hand/Chillum (UK)

  5. #180
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,496
    I've found my son listening to Vashti Bunyan. I like her too, but he found her on his own. Maybe Spotify recommended her after he listened to Sunforest or something.

  6. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Yep - a bummer as both albums are excellent prog fusion. When Comet had the legal license to reissue the Vanguard catalog, I was surprised they left these two out. At least the original LPs aren't expensive, and that's what I own.
    I’m not as jazzed (get it?) as you guys about these but they’re nice, if derivative, fusion discs. I have the cheapie vinyl of these, too. I slightly prefer the first, which has a Joe Farrell guest appearance. There’s a track off the second that steals the riff from Zappa’s “Eat That Question” pretty furiously. They remind me a lot more of the usual suspects (MO/RTF) in general, though.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  7. #182
    Speaking of Flight, I remember a long time ago, I came across Pat Vidas’ own website (which I guess is gone now?). There was some cool stuff there, including a photograph of the infamous “flaming trumpet” in action on stage, and a cross-section displaying how it worked. He also had a custom-made, rudimentary trumpet-synth called the Polytrumpet.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  8. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've found my son listening to Vashti Bunyan. I like her too, but he found her on his own. Maybe Spotify recommended her after he listened to Sunforest or something.
    There are countless current "hipster" artist referenceing her as influence, so she may have appeared as algorhythmic [Yeah, I know ] impulse in just about any digital musikal stopover there ever was.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  9. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    The only Tree People band I know of is Stephen Cohen's outfit that released a pretty cool album in 1979,
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/1001722-The-Tree-People

    Very hyped in the newer followers of folk stuff, around here.
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  10. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've found my son listening to Vashti Bunyan. I like her too, but he found her on his own. Maybe Spotify recommended her after he listened to Sunforest or something.
    One of the ultra-hyped in the 90s, 70s folk artists ... just like Linda Perhacs. If you read the Wire...

    Both made a return to albums in the 00-10s... Garry Higgins is also the case...

    You have also a youthful interest for These Trails, Bill Fay, Bobb Trimble, Bob Theil etc. ...artists almost nobody was listening to, at their days.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 02-23-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  11. #186
    Member ashratom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’m not as jazzed (get it?) as you guys about these but they’re nice, if derivative, fusion discs. I have the cheapie vinyl of these, too. I slightly prefer the first, which has a Joe Farrell guest appearance. There’s a track off the second that steals the riff from Zappa’s “Eat That Question” pretty furiously. They remind me a lot more of the usual suspects (MO/RTF) in general, though.
    Haha! Your observations were similar to my own, until a recent deep dive had me reconsidering my position. Here are my notes from that experience: When I think of Flying Island, I tend to categorize them as a fusion band. But this listen to both albums proved to me that's not really the case. Even though there's a little funky business (especially on the debut), I would say that Flying Island are more of an instrumental progressive rock band. The lead instruments are violin, guitar and organ, and this is definitely no chops fest. Compositions are first and foremost, while instrumental dexterity backs up the highly melodic, but complex music charts. The violin in particular will remind the listener of Curved Air and Darryl Way's Wolf. Instantly recognizable cover art, another fine trademark of the Vanguard label. I miss the days when a label could be identified in this way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Speaking of Flight, I remember a long time ago, I came across Pat Vidas’ own website (which I guess is gone now?). There was some cool stuff there, including a photograph of the infamous “flaming trumpet” in action on stage, and a cross-section displaying how it worked. He also had a custom-made, rudimentary trumpet-synth called the Polytrumpet.
    That sounds awesome! I like the use of invented instruments as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/1001722-The-Tree-People

    Very hyped in the newer followers of folk stuff, around here.
    And the CD is super cheap! You'd think a Japan only mini-LP from over a decade ago would be as scarce as a government employee working a holiday. But they're practically as common as raisins!

  12. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    One of the ultra-hyped in the 90s, 70s folk artists ... just like Linda Perhacs. If you read the Wire...

    Both made a return to albums in the 00-10s... Garry Higgins is also the case...

    You have also a youthful interest for[...] Bill Fay etc. ...artists almost nobody was listening to, at their days.
    Fay was even reissued by the precursors to Esoteric Rec. Fortunately for them.

    I'd personally like for that crowd to discover Michael Chapman and the pure genius of Jackie Leven, two singer-songwriters with some serious potential for cult status (although they effectively both enjoy that with an older audience already). Did you know that they just recently reissued the awesome John St. Field album (aka J. Leven's debut) on vinyl, Spyros? That thing is literally impossible to acquire in original pressing now. I got the vaguely reminiscentt G. Fitzgerald Mouseproof a couple of years back, and that discount was as a special favour - those obscurities aren't merely "scarce", they're practically non-existent these days.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 02-24-2017 at 08:44 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  13. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Fay was even reissued by the precursors to Esoteric Rec. Fortunately for them.

    I'd personally like for that crowd to discover Michael Chapman and the pure genius of Jackie Leven, two singer-songwriters with some serious potential for cult status (although they effectively both enjoy that with an older audience already). Did you know that they just recently reissued the awesome John St. Field album (aka J. Leven's debut) on vinyl, Spyros? That thing is literally impossible to acquire in original pressing now. I got the vaguely reminiscentt G. Fitzpatrick Mouseproof a couple of years back, and that discount was as a special favour - those obscurities aren't merely "scarce", they're practically non-existent these days.
    Well, Michael Chapman received a (well deserved) very limited hype in the end 00s with his instrumental releases in the Ecstatic Peace and Blast First labels.


    Jackie Leven (RIP), had three reissues that sunk with little commercial success. 1994 in Spain, 1997 in UK and 2002 in Korea (this time both on CD and vinyl). I had the spanish CD which I swapped for the korean LP upon release. This is the 4th time though. I wish good luck to the label that took the chance. And I agree; originals are impossible.

    G.F. Fitz-Gerald's Mouseproof can still be found reasonably priced, the german 1st pressing though but not the UK one. Scored one of these germans at 40 euros three years ago. Though not obsessed with original pressings, it is a record worth owning on vinyl and I gave my CD as a gift to a young friend of mine who believed that folk music didn't go more adventurous than Comus.
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  14. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Also recently rereleased the Album by White Wing best known for being the pre band of Asia (US) (which got also rereleased)

    http://www.bloodandironrecords.com/progaor-series

    By coincidence I "discovered" the White Wing-album recently and read in the liner-notes about tha Asia (US)-connection. I ordered the latter too, which is a real fine CD with the two albums they made. A bit more symphonic (more Mellotron) than White Wing.

  15. #190
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Isle of Bute
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Flight: "Incredible Journey" (1976)

    I read a review of this stating it was something you might record if you wanted to take the piss out of progressive rock.

    Picked it up cheap and have to say that, despite it being one of the most tasteless and vulgar records I have ever heard, I am digging the hell out of it!

  16. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I read a review of this stating it was something you might record if you wanted to take the piss out of progressive rock.

    Picked it up cheap and have to say that, despite it being one of the most tasteless and vulgar records I have ever heard, I am digging the hell out of it!
    I have this album. I like it a lot. It's very busy, that's for sure. But the guys have chops for days, and it is a fun listen. Over the top, that's for sure, but I take this over a lot of "tasteful" Prog or rock that bores the crap out of me.

    Bill

  17. #192
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,369
    Here's a functioning link to Flight's Incredible Journey.



    Damn, these guys are ridiculous! Like a seventies version of Dream Theater - at least when it comes to having not-so-fantastic songs, but making up for it by playing WAYYY too many notes. But there's little or no metal, so-so vocals, lots of fusion, lots of symph, and a bit of EW&F prog R&B. They're probably all Berklee guys, or from some other college jazz program.

  18. #193
    baribrotzer- that i a really good record!

    This one is not American, but boy is it good:
    Last edited by Dana5140; 6 Days Ago at 10:21 AM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  19. #194
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Isle of Bute
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Here's a functioning link to Flight's Incredible Journey.



    Damn, these guys are ridiculous! Like a seventies version of Dream Theater - at least when it comes to having not-so-fantastic songs, but making up for it by playing WAYYY too many notes. But there's little or no metal, so-so vocals, lots of fusion, lots of symph, and a bit of EW&F prog R&B. They're probably all Berklee guys, or from some other college jazz program.
    This current band seem to have some commonalities with Flight....

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GviNwYSZY6k

  20. #195
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    This current band seem to have some commonalities with Flight....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GviNwYSZY6k
    Once and Future Band.

    Only vaguely. OaFB have better songs, better vocals, stress songwriting more than playing, have far less fusion influence, and play about half as many notes - which is still a lot. But I also know what you mean: There's a certain similarity in their choice of harmonic colors, although I'd guess OaFB might have gotten that from Todd Rundgren, who got it from the same Great American Songbook that the jazz musicians did.

  21. #196
    Member wiz_d_kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    EllicottCityMD
    Posts
    98
    There were a lot of American prog bands listed in this thread. I have been looking for a band that released two albums in the 1977 to 1983 time frame, and who hail from the central Pennsylvania area, maybe Harrisburg. Their music was jazz/rock fusion, with maybe some avant-garde thrown in. Any clues?

  22. #197
    With Flight I hear Gentle Giant, some solo Chick Corea (The Leprechaun-Mad Hatter era), maybe some early Gino Vannelli. With O&FB I hear the aforementioned Todd Rundgren, Ambrosia, ELO, various other 70s pop-rock bands and light prog like Yes and Genesis. I’m afraid I don’t really see the connection.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  23. #198
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    There were a lot of American prog bands listed in this thread. I have been looking for a band that released two albums in the 1977 to 1983 time frame, and who hail from the central Pennsylvania area, maybe Harrisburg. Their music was jazz/rock fusion, with maybe some avant-garde thrown in. Any clues?
    Do you have any further clues?
    Are you certain it’s PA?
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  24. #199
    I cannot find anything. But I did find out that Glenn Branca is from Harrisburg...

    https://www.allmusic.com/birthplace/...a-mz0000032428
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  25. #200
    Member wiz_d_kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    EllicottCityMD
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Do you have any further clues?
    Are you certain it’s PA?
    Yes, it was Harrisburg PA (or very nearby). The band members may have attended Susquehanna Township High School, graduating in the 1975-1978 time frame.
    Last edited by wiz_d_kidd; 4 Days Ago at 10:52 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •