Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allman Brothers Fillmore Concerts 6 CD package

Allman Brothers Fillmore Concerts 6 CD package

Well it had to happen eventually. All 4 of the legendary Fillmore shows recorded March 12 and 13, 1971 will be released July 29th. There will be 3 different sets, 6 CD's, 3 Blue-ray discs and an abbreviated set list on 4 vinyl albums. I'd like to say no I'm not buying this but in the end I know I will.

Ohhhh......I could do without the vinyl but I'll still get this.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Auto-buy.

All I can say is: OMG. I am so in!
    EDIT: Just pre-ordered the Blu-Ray from Hittin' the Note, the Allman's site; the books look different because of size, but the content is the same, and the Blu-Ray 5.1 surround mixes are, according to a reliable source I know there, supposed to be tremendous. So I'm in, and can't wait to hear 'em!

Thanks for the heads up guys!
    Last edited by jkelman; 06-12-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Of course I will buy this! Allman Brothers rule!
    http://allmanstepbrothers.com/

Ordered!

Allman Brothers are to play the entire set from Fillmore concerts at our local Festival this summer.. Looking forward to this.. http://www.locknfestival.com/

And they are playing the entire Eat A Peach at the Peach Festival in August.

I am currently without any of this material, for some stupid reason, so this is probably a necessary purchase for me.

This set also includes the June 1971 show that closed the Fillmore East--including the performance of "One Way Out" originally released on Eat A Peach.

Yeah, I'm in. I've got the original Fillmore East album and Eat A Peach both on CD already, but I got those back in the 90's, so maybe it's time to buy a new version.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I am currently without any of this material, for some stupid reason, so this is probably a necessary purchase for me.

This set also includes the June 1971 show that closed the Fillmore East--including the performance of "One Way Out" originally released on Eat A Peach.
    I've had this for decades. Nice they put it in, I suppose. The holy grail is the night before, of course, which no one will probably ever hear.

The final Fillmore show was released on the deluxe Eat A Peach if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I'm in. I've got the original Fillmore East album and Eat A Peach both on CD already, but I got those back in the 90's, so maybe it's time to buy a new version.
    Yes, but neither releases include all four shows plus the fifth one that's the sixth disc (and third Blu Ray). I opted for the blu ray as I can get what is apparently a terrific surround sound mix, and Dan rip the audio in order to have it in media that I can okay on my iPad/iPhone/etc

I'm really looking forward to this!

The Allman Brothers Band was my very first concert. I know for a fact that it was the summer of 1971. I just finished 8th grade and of course wasn't keeping a log of my concerts. My older sister and her boy friend at the time took me and I was in my glory. It was definitely in the New York area and Wet Willie were one of the opening acts. There was a band before Wet Willie. Anybody know where I can fill in the missing pieces? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    The final Fillmore show was released on the deluxe Eat A Peach if memory serves.
    Between the deluxe versions of Eat A Peach and At Fillmore East and the '90s release of The Fillmore Concerts, I suspect a good portion of all five shows has been released before, but not all five in their entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I've had this for decades. Nice they put it in, I suppose. The holy grail is the night before, of course, which no one will probably ever hear.
    Isn't that the show where they played until sunrise? That would be a six-disc set in its own right.

The ABB has already done a pretty good job of releasing archival stuff, but I'd like to see more live releases from the current (final?) version of the band. Have they been doing a "download the show you just saw" type of thing? I sort of drifted away after Dickey left and haven't seen the current lineup in concert.

Isn't that the show where they played until sunrise?
    So the legend goes. They came back on for an encore, and had no other material to play, so they launched into a version of Mountain Jam that allegedly went past sunrise. But apparently no tape exists, or if there does, whoever has it is keeping it under lock and key.

That would be a six-disc set in its own right.

The ABB has already done a pretty good job of releasing archival stuff, but I'd like to see more live releases from the current (final?) version of the band. Have they been doing a "download the show you just saw" type of thing? I sort of drifted away after Dickey left and haven't seen the current lineup in concert.
    I wish they'd release some shows from the 90's, particularly from the first half of the decade. I saw them twice when Warren Haynes and Allen Woody were originally in the band, and they were both great shows. I also saw them four times with Jack Pearson replacing Warren, and those were all awesome shows too.

At least they finally did a proper reissue of the old Live At Great Woods VHS. When it came out on DVD, for whatever reason, they used the edited version that aired on Japanese TV, I believe. Finally, a couple months ago, they put out the VHS version on DVD, which has more songs (not the full concert, but probably about 3/4's of it). I was about to say the songs are all unedited, but then I remembered that on Liz Reed, Dickey's old gold top Les Paul (which has humbuckers) "magically morphs into" a newer reissue with soap bar pickups, so there's obviously an edit there. I think Dickey must have broken a string and had to change guitars. Maybe they leave that bit in on the DVD, I don't know, I haven't seen it yet.

I wish they'd release some shows from the 90's, particularly from the first half of the decade. I saw them twice when Warren Haynes and Allen Woody were originally in the band, and they were both great shows. I also saw them four times with Jack Pearson replacing Warren, and those were all awesome shows too.

At least they finally did a proper reissue of the old Live At Great Woods VHS. When it came out on DVD, for whatever reason, they used the edited version that aired on Japanese TV, I believe. Finally, a couple months ago, they put out the VHS version on DVD, which has more songs (not the full concert, but probably about 3/4's of it). I was about to say the songs are all unedited, but then I remembered that on Liz Reed, Dickey's old gold top Les Paul (which has humbuckers) "magically morphs into" a newer reissue with soap bar pickups, so there's obviously an edit there. I think Dickey must have broken a string and had to change guitars. Maybe they leave that bit in on the DVD, I don't know, I haven't seen it yet.
    My first ABB show was that Great Woods show and it was killer. I would love to get at least an audio of the full show sometime, as I remember that the opening number ("Hot Lanta") and "Nobody Knows" were particularly good.

As for early '90s shows, you MUST check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Play-All-Night...play+all+night

This is from their first Beacon Theater run in '92, and the band is super tight. It has much better production, imo, than "An Evening With the ABB" from around that time. Warren Haynes produced it and the sound really benefits from that, especially the drums, where you can finally hear all the cool, subtle things that Jaimoe does back there. This is also before Dickey started running off the rails with booze. I've been playing it non-stop since I got it.

I was lucky to attend this legendary show, as well as...

.... the June 1971 show that closed the Fillmore East
    ....so it looks like I'll have to acquire this set as a memento of my misspent youth, to be sure. Good times.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'd love to have a Jack Pearson-era show, too. The recent One Way Out bio indicates nothing was professionally recorded from that era, but there must be some soundboards floating out there.

I saw the Warren/Woody lineup three times--it the was only lineup I ever saw. They were magnificent all three times. The first time was on the Seven Turns tour with Johnny Neel on keys. I'd love to have a live album from that tour.

You can buy entire tours from the last few years. I have bought the 2011 Beacon run and the entire 2013 tour plan to buy the 2014 tour s it's their last, and also, when I get the bucks, the 2009 Beacon run which is considered, by their online store, to be the hands down best live run this final incarnation has done.

It'a all at http://www.hittinthenote.com.

And I would recommend ALL the ones I've bought, last year was a great year; Greg's voice was in too form. Also each year, they don't just repeat the same old same old; they add past ABB tunes that haven't been played, some Gov't Mule stuff that works in an ABB context, and when they bring guests on, as they do a lot at the Beacon but also sometimes in other shows, they pull out some surprisingly great versions of tunes you'd never expect them to do.

Frankly, as much as I love the original lineup, the latter days with Dickie were really not that going IMO, and I think the combo of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks is just about unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Also each year, they don't just repeat the same old same old;
    Never mind each year, they don't even repeat stuff two nights in a row. Well, they repeated some things, but each of the three times I got to see them two nights (first time in 1997, second time in 1998, third time in 2001), they changed the set up a lot on the second night. In 2001, I think they repeated one, maybe two songs. I believe when I saw them in the 21st century, they were pulling out songs from Gregg's solo albums, and also Warren's too.

I wonder if that wasn't another reason why things went south with Dickey (pun intended). Seemed like when he was still in the band, they changed the set up less. Every time I saw them with Dickey, they always did Blue Sky for instance, and I'm sure if I sat down and looked at the setlists of those six shows, there's probably three or four other songs that recurred a lot. I still can't believe there's been times where I've seen them and they didn't play Ramblin' Man, Whipping Post, or Jessica. Other than the Grateful Dead, what other rock group is going to say, "You know what, we don't feel like playing our most famous songs, so sorry if you wanted to hear those tonight, cuz it ain't going to happen".

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    You can buy entire tours from the last few years. I have bought the 2011 Beacon run and the entire 2013 tour plan to buy the 2014 tour s it's their last, and also, when I get the bucks, the 2009 Beacon run which is considered, by their online store, to be the hands down best live run this final incarnation has done.

It'a all at http://www.hittinthenote.com.

And I would recommend ALL the ones I've bought, last year was a great year; Greg's voice was in too form. Also each year, they don't just repeat the same old same old; they add past ABB tunes that haven't been played, some Gov't Mule stuff that works in an ABB context, and when they bring guests on, as they do a lot at the Beacon but also sometimes in other shows, they pull out some surprisingly great versions of tunes you'd never expect them to do.

Frankly, as much as I love the original lineup, the latter days with Dickie were really not that going IMO, and I think the combo of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks is just about unbeatable.
    I admit that I didn't check all that stuff out until after I posted above. I need to dive into those Beacon sets ASAP.

As for the current lineup, the stuff I've seen online (and the most recent 'commercial' live album) haven't done as much for me as the Dickey/Warren lineup did. Warren and Derek are amazing players, but they both bring much the same thing to the band and don't provide enough contrast to each other. Seeing Dickey play in concert was a wonderful experience. He plays such sweet, simple lines, but the depth and soul are out of this world. It's something that probably never totally came across on the records. I've only seen a handful of jazz players that could touch that. Neither Warren nor Derek gets anywhere close to reaching that place, as good as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I was lucky to attend this legendary show, as well as...

....so it looks like I'll have to acquire this set as a memento of my misspent youth, to be sure. Good times.....
    I am envious of those who got to see the original band, especially those shows at the Fillmore East.

Re: Live At Great Woods

Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    My first ABB show was that Great Woods show and it was killer. I would love to get at least an audio of the full show sometime, as I remember that the opening number ("Hot Lanta") and "Nobody Knows" were particularly good.
    Unfortunately, neither of those appear on the video release. I gather they didn't film the full show, probably because they knew it was being done for a Japanese TV show, so they just filmed enough material so they'd have plenty of stuff to work with for that, focusing mostly on the old stuff. Then, at least according to the liner notes, after they watched the video footage, they decided to release all the songs that were shot (minus that edit during Liz Reed, of course) on video because they were so happy with the performance.

That video has one of my favorite versions of Whipping Post, where they drop into the free time thing at the start of Dickey's guitar solo. And Allen plays the 18 string (!) Modulus Graphite bass.

One thing that was interesting about the early 90's Allmans was that Allen seemed to switch basses more often either of the guitarists changed instruments. The first time I saw them, they did an acoustic set, but beyond that, Dickey seemed to always play a single electric through the entirety of each show I saw (a vintage gold top Les Paul in 93, an ES-335 in 96, and a cream coloured Strat in 97 and 98). Warren alternated a Les Paul and a red Strat with a matching headstock in 93, just the Les Paul in 96, and I think Jack played his G&L guitar through all of the four shows I saw when he was in the band.

I've got a concert they did in Crested Butte, Colorado back in 91 or 92 that I taped off VH-1 way back when, and on that Allen uses something like four or five different basses, including his 18 string (!) Modulus Graphite, something like that looks like a BC Rich Bich, an a headless bass. Most bands it's the other way around: the bass player uses one bass through the whole show, while the guitarists are swapping back and forth.

At the show I saw in 93, he had a Warwick bass he played on some of the songs, he used an acoustic bass during the acoustic set, I think he might have used a Thunderbird for some of the other electric songs, and then for Whipping Post he strapped on this big Flying V shaped bass with either 8 or 12 strings. When I saw them in 96, though, I think he just used a Thunderbird through the whole show.

Re: Live At Great Woods

Unfortunately, neither of those appear on the video release. I gather they didn't film the full show, probably because they knew it was being done for a Japanese TV show, so they just filmed enough material so they'd have plenty of stuff to work with for that, focusing mostly on the old stuff. Then, at least according to the liner notes, after they watched the video footage, they decided to release all the songs that were shot (minus that edit during Liz Reed, of course) on video because they were so happy with the performance.

That video has one of my favorite versions of Whipping Post, where they drop into the free time thing at the start of Dickey's guitar solo. And Allen plays the 18 string (!) Modulus Graphite bass.

One thing that was interesting about the early 90's Allmans was that Allen seemed to switch basses more often either of the guitarists changed instruments. The first time I saw them, they did an acoustic set, but beyond that, Dickey seemed to always play a single electric through the entirety of each show I saw (a vintage gold top Les Paul in 93, an ES-335 in 96, and a cream coloured Strat in 97 and 98). Warren alternated a Les Paul and a red Strat with a matching headstock in 93, just the Les Paul in 96, and I think Jack played his G&L guitar through all of the four shows I saw when he was in the band.

I've got a concert they did in Crested Butte, Colorado back in 91 or 92 that I taped off VH-1 way back when, and on that Allen uses something like four or five different basses, including his 18 string (!) Modulus Graphite, something like that looks like a BC Rich Bich, an a headless bass. Most bands it's the other way around: the bass player uses one bass through the whole show, while the guitarists are swapping back and forth.

At the show I saw in 93, he had a Warwick bass he played on some of the songs, he used an acoustic bass during the acoustic set, I think he might have used a Thunderbird for some of the other electric songs, and then for Whipping Post he strapped on this big Flying V shaped bass with either 8 or 12 strings. When I saw them in 96, though, I think he just used a Thunderbird through the whole show.
    Yeah, I remember someone telling me they were filming it for Japanese TV. I was actually sitting on the front row because I went alone and lucked out on the seat. I would be glad just to have an audio of the full show if such a thing exists.

Like you, I also remember Allen using an incredible array of basses. The Thunderbird seemed to have the most time on stage, but I remember the 18-string coming out for Whipping Post. He was a great player and seemed like a really good guy the couple of times I got to talk with him after Mule shows.