Thread: FEATURED CD: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Piñata

FEATURED CD: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Piñata

Here's yet another very strong album for 2012.

Review from Sputnik Music (Greg Fisher)
    Diablo Swing Orchestra's approach to experimental metal revolves around staggering eclecticism. Swedish group merges a multitude of distinct influences incorporating swing, jazz, classical and even opera music into their core technical metal sound. As a result, their scatter-shot style, while occasionally cheesy, never ceases to be refreshingly original and enormously fun. Just like 2009’s Sing Along Songs For the Damned & Delirious, Pandora's Pinata is a collection of exuberantly performed compositions that are based on traditional song craft rather than excessive technicality so many contemporary metal acts are obsessed with.

The selling point of the disc lies in its amazing orchestration that seems immensely improved when compared to the band's previous releases. It's bewildering how swiftly the brass section and keys are complimented by such stringed instruments as cellos and violins. While this type of instrumentation plays second fiddle in many bands of this kind, Diablo Swing Orchestra don't underestimate the evocative power of instrumental diversity making the best of numerous musicians who have taken part in the recording sessions. In fact, the conventional, yet bombastic metal onslaught is overshadowed on occasion by classical and jazz orchestration that's arranged in an absolutely astounding manner. All these elements expectedly result in a grandiose scope overflowing even the most subtle tunes on the album.

Every single song on Pandora's Pinata feels thoroughly rehearsed so as to achieve the perfect balance between plenty of instruments. The operatic singing that characterizes symphonic metal has been downplayed in favour of a more natural and fitting delivery. Out of the two songs that openly use operatic vocals though, stripped-down “Aurora” is a revelation of cinematic proportions which clearly surpasses pompous “Of Kali Ma Calibre.” The band's style has been dubbed avant-garde metal by fans and critics alike. However, there's hardly anything inaccessible about their music. Even though the record oscillates between a wide range of moods and vibes, the songs are never less than instantly memorable or even addictive.

With its sprawling fusion of swing and metal, opener “Voodoo Mon Amour” ranks among the most shamelessly entertaining tracks of the year. “Guerilla Laments” sustains the danceable vibe adding out-of-the-blue, salsa-echoing rhythm patterns. In contrast, “Kevlar Sweethearts” channels 1970s progressive rock with its melancholic vocal lines and dignified arrangements interspersed with technical metal riffing. When you begin to think Diablo Swing Orchestra have just run out of ideas to surprise you, “Black Box Messiah” introduces some creepy, childlike vocals into its circus metal aesthetics. On the other hand, “Mass Rapture” showcases an epic heavy metal foray into the East, whereas smooth “Honey Trap Aftermath” makes for an excellent funk rock tune due to its clunky bass lines and atmospheric trumpet solos. The group's singular greatest achievement that reveals their boundless versatility happens to be the album's closer “Justice For Saint Mary” though. This largely acoustic track evokes the palpable feeling of tension by means of a genuinely disturbing cello motif that builds to a vicious industrial breakdown.

Pandora's Pinata captures Diablo Swing Orchestra excelling in their admirably accessible spin on experimental metal. This superbly orchestrated album blends multiple genres with grace and cohesion, which makes it a real treat for anyone who's willing to venture into the realm of exuberant, artistic music that ranges from cinematic to theatrical.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

ever since the little photos disappeared from the top of PE (in 3.0) there's less comments, because I think people don't notice what the album of the day is.

I'd say that's the only thing 'unfortunate' about the new site.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Definitely on my top 10. They just keep getting better. I generally don't like an operatic vocal style, but somehow it works in this context. One of the most intriguing bands around today.

I enjoyed their first two albums but somehow had the feeling that 2 albums of this style is enough for me.

The samples I've heared haven't convinced me that the new album is different enough. I still might get this at some point though.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's a wonderful album loads of fun, I rank it as level with Damned & Delirious and slightly ahead of Butchers Ballroom.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

One of my favourites for the year...very refreshing...

Very talented band!
    I started with this and loved it. Especially the last track. "Disturbing cello motif" indeed.
    Picked up Sing along songs, which is nearly as good.
    I'm pondering the debut. What's the consensus opinion?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I'm pondering the debut. What's the consensus opinion?
    I think it's the weakest of the the three but still fun and worthy of repeat spins.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I freakin' love this album! It's amazing how they can make such a salad out of so many musical styles and still keep a cohesive band sound. Highly recommended!

J. D.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'd say that's the only thing 'unfortunate' about the new site.
    Yeah, it kills me. Miss it very much, it was the only thing that made it look like something fresh happened daily.