Thread: Doors tribute album (YES content)

Doors tribute album (YES content)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dee...light-my-fire/

This part is kind of funny - "Not one but two members of the quintessential prog rock band YES" Umm... I count 5, plus Billy Sherwood!

There's actually a lot of stellar musicians on here. Never was a Doors fan, but I've come to appreciate them more in my later years. Actually, I'm not a tribute album fan either, but again, these guys are the real deal. Might have to check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dee...light-my-fire/

This part is kind of funny - "Not one but two members of the quintessential prog rock band YES" Umm... I count 5, plus Billy Sherwood!

There's actually a lot of stellar musicians on here. Never was a Doors fan, but I've come to appreciate them more in my later years. Actually, I'm not a tribute album fan either, but again, these guys are the real deal. Might have to check this out.
    The writer was just saying that two members of Yes performed on that one song, not the whole album.

But I did laugh when the writer called Geoff Downes a keyboard legend.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

That's quite a lineup.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Jim Morrison's Native American spirit companion reacts to the news of this tribute album:

Last edited by Frumious B; 06-11-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Some real odd combinations here... Sherwood seems big on these tributes for awhile now -

"Light My Fire - A Classic Rock Salute To The Doors" track listing:

01. L.A. Woman - Jimi Jamison (SURVIVOR), Ted Turner (WISHBONE ASH) & Patrick Moraz (MOODY BLUES)
    02. Love Me Two Times - Lou Gramm (FOREIGNER), Thijs van Leer (FOCUS) & Larry Coryell
    03. Roadhouse Blues - Leslie West (MOUNTAIN), Brian Auger & Rod Piazza
    04. Love Her Madly - Mark Stein (VANILLA FUDGE) & Mick Box (URIAH HEEP)
    05. Riders On The Storm - Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW), Tony Kaye (Yes) & Steve Cropper (BOOKER T. & THE M.G.'S)
    06. The Crystal Ship - Edgar Winter & Chris Spedding
    07. Intro (People Are Strange) - Keith Emerson, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter & Joel Druckman (JOHN FAHEY)
    08. People Are Strange - David Johansen (NEW YORK DOLLS) & Billy Sherwood (YES)
    09. Touch Me - Robert Gordon, Jordan Rudess (DREAM THEATER), Steve Morse & Nik Turner (HAWKWIND)
    10. The Soft Parade - Graham Bonnet (RAINBOW), Christopher North (AMBROSIA) & Steve Hillage (GONG)
    11. Hello, I Love You - Ken Hensley (URIAH HEEP) & Roye Albrighton (NEKTAR)
    12. Spanish Caravan - Eric Martin (MR. BIG) & Elliot Easton (THE CARS)
    13. Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) - Todd Rundgren & Geoff Downes (YES, ASIA) & Zoot Horn Rollo (CAPTAIN BEEFHEART)
    14. Break On Through (To The Other Side) - Mark Farner (GRAND FUNK RAILROAD) & Chick Churchill (TEN YEARS AFTER)
    15. Light My Fire - Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE), Rick Wakeman (YES) & Steve Howe (YES)
    16. The End - Pat Travers & Jimmy Greenspoon (THREE DOG NIGHT)

Pat Travers leads off the recent tribute to the Allman Brothers with a rocking version of Midnight Rider. I don't think Sherwood was involved with that one though but it does appear he's working on a Beatles tribute.
    Last edited by Dok; 06-11-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    15. Light My Fire - Ian Gillan (DEEP PURPLE), Rick Wakeman (YES) & Steve Howe (YES)
    Wakeman and Howe together again! I wonder if they even knew that their emailed-in parts would pair them together.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    But I did laugh when the writer called Geoff Downes a keyboard legend.
    Come on, when he's really finding the right string patches he can tear the roof off. Have you heard the song from The new Asia album, Like Joe DiMaggio"s Glove? Finally the song for you, perfectly combining romance and sports!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Come on, when he's really finding the right string patches he can tear the roof off. Have you heard the song from The new Asia album, Like Joe DiMaggio"s Glove? Finally the song for you, perfectly combining romance and sports!
    Produced by Trevor Horn:

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Some real odd combinations here... Sherwood seems big on these tributes for awhile now -

"Light My Fire - A Classic Rock Salute To The Doors" track listing:

01. L.A. Woman - Jimi Jamison (SURVIVOR), Ted Turner (WISHBONE ASH) & Patrick Moraz (MOODY BLUES)
    02. Love Me Two Times - Lou Gramm (FOREIGNER), Thijs van Leer (FOCUS) & Larry Coryell
    03. Roadhouse Blues - Leslie West (MOUNTAIN), Brian Auger & Rod Piazza
    04. Love Her Madly - Mark Stein (VANILLA FUDGE) & Mick Box (URIAH HEEP)
    05. Riders On The Storm - Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW), Tony Kaye (Yes) & Steve Cropper (BOOKER T. & THE M.G.'S)
    06. The Crystal Ship - Edgar Winter & Chris Spedding
    07. Intro (People Are Strange) - Keith Emerson, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter & Joel Druckman (JOHN FAHEY)
    08. People Are Strange - David Johansen (NEW YORK DOLLS) & Billy Sherwood (YES)
    09. Touch Me - Robert Gordon, Jordan Rudess (DREAM THEATER), Steve Morse & Nik Turner (HAWKWIND)
    10. The Soft Parade - Graham Bonnet (RAINBOW), Christopher North (AMBROSIA) & Steve Hillage (GONG)
    11. Hello, I Love You - Ken Hensley (URIAH HEEP) & Roye Albrighton (NEKTAR)
    12. Spanish Caravan - Eric Martin (MR. BIG) & Elliot Easton (THE CARS)
    13. Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) - Todd Rundgren & Geoff Downes (YES, ASIA) & Zoot Horn Rollo (CAPTAIN BEEFHEART)
    14. Break On Through (To The Other Side) - Mark Farner (GRAND FUNK RAILROAD) & Chick Churchill (TEN YEARS AFTER)
    16. The End - Pat Travers & Jimmy Greenspoon (THREE DOG NIGHT)

Pat Travers leads off the recent tribute to the Allman Brothers with a rocking version of Midnight Rider. I don't think Sherwood was involved with that one though but it does appear he's working on a Beatles tribute.
    This was recorded middle of last year and held back by the label (seeming because they had a different Doors tribute they wanted out first). Cleopatra and Sherwood, of course, do millions of these things. Sherwood will have played most of the parts, with solos and vocals e-mailed in. I'm sure Wakeman and Howe never met.

I have, as a hopeless Yes fanatic, bought several of these and they're mostly pretty poor, IMHO. All life sucked out of the originals; little of interest done instead. There have been occasional tracks that worked better. Keith Emerson doing "Black Dog" on Led Box: The Ultimate Tribute to Led Zeppelin was great, so his intro to "People are Strange" might be good. The last time Wakeman and Howe were together on a recording was another Sherwood/Cleopatra project with a cover of "Starship Trooper" with Sherwood, Kaye, White, Howe and Wakeman + Mickey Thomas on lead vocals.

Sherwood did a 2009 Beatles tribute (with White, Kaye, Downes, Wetton, Morse, Thomas, D Zappa, Krieger, Lukater et al.), which was pretty forgettable, but he's indeed working on another. This time it's an acoustic covers project, with Dale Bozzio, Ann Wilson, Jack Bruce and David Hussey (XNA, ex-Genesis tribute band Gabble Ratchet, ex-Yes tribute band Closer to the Edge).

So, anyway, here's a list of new Yes-related releases in 2014:

Out:
    Dylan Howe, Subterranean: New Designs on Bowie's Berlin (with dad Howe)
    Billy Sherwood, Divided by One
    Glass Hammer, Ode to Echo (with Davison)
    Birds of Satan, Birds of Satan (with Davison)
    Missing Persons feat. Dale Bozzio, Missing in Action (with Sherwood)
    Asia, Gravitas (with Downes)
    Downes Braide Association, Record Store Day EP
    Marcelo Paganini, 2012 Space Traffic Jam (with Sherwood, Kaye)

Forthcoming:
    various artists: Light My Fire - A Classic Rock Salute to The Doors (with Sherwood, Kaye, Howe, Downes, Wakeman, Moraz)
    Yes: Heaven & Earth
    Paul D'Adamo: Rawfully Organic (with Sherwood, Levin)
    Seal: Let Yourself (with Horn)
    Billy Idol: BFI (with Horn, Downes)
    Steve Howe Trio: new album
    Marty Walsh: The Total Plan (with Sherwood)

+ possibly some other Sherwood projects (including Michael Aston's Gene Loves Jezebel, Emote, acoustic Beatles tribute, new CIRCA: ) + who knows about some Anderson projects

+ various Yes and Wakeman re-releases.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    So, anyway, here's a list of new Yes-related releases in 2014:

Out:
    Dylan Howe, Subterranean: New Designs on Bowie's Berlin (with dad Howe)
    Billy Sherwood, Divided by One
    Glass Hammer, Ode to Echo (with Davison)
    Birds of Satan, Birds of Satan (with Davison)
    Missing Persons feat. Dale Bozzio, Missing in Action (with Sherwood)
    Asia, Gravitas (with Downes)
    Downes Braide Association, Record Store Day EP
    Marcelo Paganini, 2012 Space Traffic Jam (with Sherwood, Kaye)
    ... of which, to continue going off on a tangent, I've heard four completely, which I would rank:

1. Subterranean
    2. Ode to Echo
    3. Gravitas
    4. Missing in Action

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 06-12-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot an album

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That song made me denounce my fandom of the Yankees! Perhaps the worst song of any band remotely connected to prog.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

That song made me denounce my fandom of the Yankees! Perhaps the worst song of any band remotely connected to prog.
    "From the Balcony" by Yes? "Daddy" by ELP? "Metal Machine Music, Part 3" by Lou Reed?

Henry

Oh, c'mon. Worse than "Taste of My Love?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"From the Balcony" by Yes? "Daddy" by ELP? "Metal Machine Music, Part 3" by Lou Reed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh, c'mon. Worse than "Taste of My Love?"
    Have you guys heard the chorus?

... of which, to continue going off on a tangent, I've heard four completely, which I would rank:

1. Subterranean
    2. Ode to Echo
    3. Gravitas
    4. Missing in Action
    Update...

1. Subterranean
    2. Ode to Echo
    3. The Birds of Satan
    4. Gravitas
    5. Missing in Action

... but where will Heaven & Earth come...?

Henry

As one of the biggest Doors fans on PE doing my Ed Grimley, "well THIS album is a must-have ah must say! ah'll buy 2 copies and give one to Pat Sajak!"

Somebody said they should have gotten Jon Anderson to do the vocals since they have Rick and Steve but I pretty well like Ian's take. His timbre is closer to Morrison's. I don't know if Jon could have been convincing.

Oh, it has to have at least a couple of Yes members in it for me to get interested in anything Doors-kinda. I mean, at LEAST.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, it has to have at least a couple of Yes members in it for me to get interested in anything Doors-kinda. I mean, at LEAST.
    I understand, my friend. I'd buy it in spite of Yes involvement. the musicians wouldn't bother me. I'd have to convince myself that it could be interesting to hear Jon Anderson sing Doors' lyrics.