Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tull's best instrumentalists

the best was john evan

Quote Originally Posted by Jymbot View Post
    Glascock.

(Did he not die of abscessed gum infection?)
    I thought he had a heart condition

Bunker
    Barlow
    Cornick
    Evan
    Glascock
    abrahams

Barre good too, though not as individually distinctive a stylist as any of the above for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    ^ Hammond was tremendously unique. I know trained bassists who look up to him.
    Not doubting your words, of course ... but I find that strange/odd

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Word. Whoever thinks differently needs to check him out on Carmen's Fandangos in Space LP. Carmen's music, with its solid latin / flamenco foundation, had way more of a bass presence than Tull's in the first place, and that's where Glascock proved himself capable of really being that pivotal element on which the whole sound of the band could be based.

I also think Ian Anderson himself is fairly underrated as an acoustic guitar player - everyone focuses on his flute, but I just can't imagine Tull without Ian's 6-string (or was that 12-string?).
    Yeah, for Anderson's guitar and flute... But I didn't think he was eligible (hors-concours), because too obvious a choice.

However if Glascock was clearly the better musician (IMHO, of course) in Carmen's pseudo flamenco-rock, he wasn't as impressive in Tull (IMHO again), probably because not allowed to be as upfront in Anderson's group...

Quote Originally Posted by PiscesPraematurus View Post
    Barrie Barlow, head-and-shoulders above them all.
    Well, Bunker was definitely at least a head above him
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I concur with those who mentioned Clive Bunker and John Evan. Two terrific instrumentalists.
    Evan was more a supportive musician, than a bright soloist. His brightest moment on studio recordings IMHO was that short piano intro to Locomotive Breath. Another one was improvisation on hammond organ in TAAB. To think of his third bright moment, I have to ponder - hopelessly I'm afraid... There are many micro keyboards parts here and there, where he was quite convincing, like piano riff and reprise on APP, for instance. But anyway, he wasn't one of strongest instrumentalists who ever had played in JT.