Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Analog Synth Only Albums

Analog Synth Only Albums

I'm looking for some albums that exclusively feature analog synthesizers and no other instruments. Basically, I want to hear what different musicians have done with just an analog synth...from recognizable pop structures to the abstract (but the more abstract the better). These are the ones I already have:

Tomita - Pictures at an Exhibition
    Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach
    Morton Subotnik - Silver Apples of the Moon
    Craig Anderton - PAIA Proteus Demo Tape

What others should I check out
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Maybe the old Synergy albums.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Maybe these:

Elektriktus - Electronic Mind Waves
    Hydrus - Midnight In Space
    Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
    Neuronium - Invisible Views

Everything Tangerine Dream and most Klaus Schulze before 1976 ?

Most records that feature nothing but analog synths are pure crap, ie all those stupid records that came out after Switched-On Bach that featured pop songs being rendered badly for no other reason than to try to cash in on the Carlos record. Most of the best "synthesizer" records have other instruments on them, eg a vocalist, other keyboard instruments, guitar, etc. Here's a few of my favorites:

Wendy Carlos: Wendy Carlos' A Clockwork Orange (ie not the Warner Brothers soundtrack album)
    Wendy Carlos: Sonic Seasonings (some vocals here and I think maybe environmental sounds, but it's her big Moog still)
    Donna Summer: I Feel Love (her voice is the only thing on this track that didn't emanate from Giorgio Moroder's big Moog modular)
    Synergy: Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra (there's a little bit of Mellotron, but the majority of the album is synths)
    Synergy: Sequencer (I think this one and the subsequent Synergy are all synth, no Mellotron, no nothing else)
    Synergy: Cords (this one has some guitar synth on it, but it's just the guitar triggering the synth, you don't hear the actual sound the guitar itself was making)
    Morton Subotnick: Silver Apples Of The Moon, The Wild Bull, Touch, Sidewinder, and Until Spring

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Everything Tangerine Dream and most Klaus Schulze before 1976 ?
    Those generally have drums, organs, guitar and other instruments.

About half of Patrick Moraz's self titled- was it his 3rd?- album. The other half has piano and Brazillian percussion.

Tangerine Dream--Phaedra
    Steve Roach--Structures of Silence

Michael Stearns--Planetary Unfolding
    Richard Burmer--Mosaic

Klaus Schulze - Mirage
    Klaus Schulze - Timewind

Only Synths

Michael Garrison - In The Regions of Sunreturn
    Michael Hoenig - Departure from the Northern Wasteland
    Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene thru Magnetic Fields
    Tonto's Expanding Headband - Zero Time
    Mother Mallard's Portable Masterpiece Co - s/t
    Robert Mason & Stardrive - Intergalactic Trot
    Amin Bhatia - Interstellar Suite

Depends on your definition. The TD and Schulze albums have other instruments like string ensemble, Mellotron, organ etc. JMJ Magnetic Fields he introduces the Fairlight. Not many which ONLY have analog synth.

Charlemagne Palestine-In Mid Air
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Side one of Chronolyse and side one of Rhizosphere by Richard Pinhas.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Tangerine Dream--Phaedra
    Phaedra has organ and Mellotron on much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Klaus Schulze - Mirage
    Klaus Schulze - Timewind

Only Synths
    Not sure about Mirage, but Timewind definitely has electric organ on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Most records that feature nothing but analog synths are pure crap, ie all those stupid records that came out after Switched-On Bach that featured pop songs being rendered badly for no other reason than to try to cash in on the Carlos record. Most of the best "synthesizer" records have other instruments on them, eg a vocalist, other keyboard instruments, guitar, etc. Here's a few of my favorites
    ...BUT the OP specifically said that he was looking for analog-synths ONLY, regardless of what our personal tastes are....

However, early drum machines (from the Rhythm Ace all the way to the advent of sampled machines) ARE analog synthesizers, and should count.

For example, Depeche Mode's "Speak n' Spell" album is all 100% analog --- all the synthesizers used are analog (it was primarily done with an ARP-2600) and the drum machine used (a KR-55) is also analog -- so this album meets the OP's criteria........many early early synth-pop albums meet this criteria (although Im thinking the OP wants something more avante garde)

I love Phaedra but didn't include it because of the tron and organ...what I was looking for was albums that explored the possibilities/capabilities of only the analog synth.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions...have checked out a few already and Oxygene, Mirage, TONTO & Pinhaus are all hitting the spot
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Greetings,

A fairly obscure one: Rupert Randall Chappelle's Ozone Music.

Cheers,

Alan

You know, come to think of it Roger Powell's Air Pocket probably comes close. It did use all analog synth percussion and the "guitars" were distorted analog synth. It had vocals though, and probably some piano and maybe clavinet in places. I haven't heard it in 30 years.

EDIT- Wiki sez I'm wrong, there's some real guitar and drums on it.

Here are samples of all-analog synth music I did. Scroll down past the sound samples, and you'll find 6 excerpts from pieces. One piece does have a bit of vocal by a little girl, otherwise it's all synths. http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/wm_music.html

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Thanks to all who gave suggestions...have checked out a few already and Oxygene
    That has organs, mellotron and theremin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You know, come to think of it Roger Powell's Air Pocket probably comes close. It did use all analog synth percussion and the "guitars" were distorted analog synth. It had vocals though, and probably some piano and maybe clavinet in places. I haven't heard it in 30 years.

EDIT- Wiki sez I'm wrong, there's some real guitar and drums on it.
    Trumpet, too. He used an IMSAI 8080 computer for the “drum” sounds, which I believe was pioneering for an album made in 1979. He also used the RMI Keyboard Computer, which is technically a digital synthesizer (made in 1975!).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That has organs, mellotron and theremin on it.
    Really? Oh well, it may not meet my original post requirements but it's still very cool

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    A fairly obscure one: Rupert Randall Chappelle's Ozone Music.
    Good suggestion.

An even more obscure one: Schaltkreis Wasserman - Psychotron.

Oh shoot, how could I have forgotten all of the wonderful albums by Rudiger Lorenz?