Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: You like a cover more than the original

I dig Joni Mitchell's original rendition of this tune, but Tom Rush's cover just slays me.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I wonder how many people have heard the cover but never heard the original? I'm guilty - I've never heard Dylan's 'Watchtower', or Joe South/Billy Joe Royal's 'Hush', the McCoys' 'Sorrow', Springsteen's 'Blinded by the Light'...
    I just last week learned that "Barbara Ann" wasn't a Beach Boys song to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I just last week learned that "Barbara Ann" wasn't a Beach Boys song to begin with.
    The Regents! I had the 45 RMP.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've heard plenty of relatively good covers via the two TV series I follow:
    Sons Of Anarchy
    Californication

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I really don't like the Vanilla Fudge covers. Boring, plodding......ZZZZzzzzzzz.
    Actually, I find most of them excellent and always better than the original (save Eleanor Rigby)... This goes for everyone of their 60's albums, except the catastrophic Beat Goes On. Thpugh I will admit that VF never made the ultimate cover version

But when investigating them when a teen, I remember seeing the track titles on their debut and thinking : WTF about about their choices of covers, but most of them worked pretty well

actually, that's a surprise for moi as well

not that actually like the tune at all.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-27-2015 at 03:00 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    actually, that's a surprise for moi as well

not that actually like the tune at all.
    It's the same "tune" as a million other songs that use the standard blues 12-bar chord progression. You either like it or you don't. If you like the song, then you probably also like the other 999,999.

Suspended
    The Divinyls - I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore (original by the Rascals)

The Rascals, by the way, did a number of covers on their albums, and some of them were truly dreadful. The worst is "I believe", a song from the 1950's originally made famous by Frankie Laine. What were they thinking?

The Joggers - Long Distance Runaround
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKjzP1WhmBk
    The Prog Corner

Damn, Scot, that is one rockin' cover.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I don't think I knew it until I saw the Kids Are Alright DVD, and I think Jeff Stein mentions it on the audio commentary. I'm not sure I've ever heard the original version.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Probably near sacrilege around here but...

Nick D'Virgilio – The Colony Of Slippermen.

...not that I dislike the original, I just like NDV's version better.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't think I knew it until I saw the Kids Are Alright DVD, and I think Jeff Stein mentions it on the audio commentary. I'm not sure I've ever heard the original version.
    Only version I even knew for many years.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Only version I even knew for many years.

Vocals aren't as good as The Beach Boys, and I don't care for that buzzing sax during the choruses.

I still like the version The Who do in The Kids Are Alright best, first of all because it's a sloppy but enthusiastic jam (by four guys who supposedly all hated each other), and you also have the total ridiculous prospect of Keith Moon singing lead vocals. I love the way it ends with them just sort of stopping dead, because Keith apparently forgot the words or whatever. Lotsa fun! Lotsa fun!

Well, if anyone was going to give Britney Spears a run for her money in covering that song, an outfit like Devo would have to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    It's the same "tune" as a million other songs that use the standard blues 12-bar chord progression. You either like it or you don't. If you like the song, then you probably also like the other 999,999.
    Yeah, all those soundalikes definitely lost something once I wasn't a kid anymore. I was more commenting on how a new band/name/voice can seem to own a song so much that the world barely knows it wasn't theirs (not that that was necessarily the goal or anything). This one was as definitive as Aretha Franklin's adoption of "Respect."

Suspended
    Yeah, all those soundalikes definitely lost something once I wasn't a kid anymore. I was more commenting on how a new band/name/voice can seem to own a song so much that the world barely knows it wasn't theirs (not that that was necessarily the goal or anything). This one was as definitive as Aretha Franklin's adoption of "Respect."
    To give them their due, they did inject a bit of nonsensical fun into the song. I recall hearing a live-in-concert version in which they sing something like:
    Tried Betty Lou
    Tried Peggy Sue
    Tried Al Jardine, but he was horrible
    In the light of what happened later with the band, it's clear that what seemed to be good-natured stage banter probably concealed plenty of genuine mutual animosity among the Beachies.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Funny thing about that video: about 42 seconds in, there's a bit where Mark Mothersbaugh is making out with a girl in the back seat of a car. In the driver's seat is General Boy (played by Mark's dad, btw), who sees what's going on in the rear view mirror and immediately puts an end to the hanky panky.

Skip head about 5 years, and the Rolling Stones release their highly controversial Undercover Of The Night video. The video takes the form of a "movie" (in whence Mick helps a Latino girl find her significant other, who's been kidnapped by Keith) that a couple of teenagers are watching while making out. Well, the girl seems to be trying to watch the movie, the boy keeps changing the channel over to MTV, where The Rolling Stones are performing. Finally, toward the end of the song, the making out gets a little more serious, the two of stop paying attention to the TV...and the girl's parents come home, thus preventing the boy from stealing home, as it were. But here's the thing: the girl's father? He's a general, too. I've always wondered if that wasn't meant as an allusion to the bit in the Devo video.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    To give them their due, they did inject a bit of nonsensical fun into the song. I recall hearing a live-in-concert version in which they sing something like:

In the light of what happened later with the band, it's clear that what seemed to be good-natured stage banter probably concealed plenty of genuine mutual animosity among the Beachies.
    The way I once heard it said was that Carl was a peacekeeper in the band, the insinuation being he was the reason that the group hung together as long as they did, even after Dennis passed away. Then after Carl went, there was no longer anybody there to keep Mike and Al (and I guess Brian, once he was consistently lucid) from telling each other to frell off. And that's apparently exactly what they did.

Of course, there was bad vibes surrounding that band from day one, from Murray's apparent envy over the fact that his sons were both more famous and more talented than he was (with one of them being a bona fide genius), to Dennis' brush with Charles Manson, to Brian's nervous breakdown, and on and on. Those guys made some great records, but boy did they pay the price.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The way I once heard it said was that Carl was a peacekeeper in the band, the insinuation being he was the reason that the group hung together as long as they did, even after Dennis passed away. Then after Carl went, there was no longer anybody there to keep Mike and Al (and I guess Brian, once he was consistently lucid) from telling each other to frell off. And that's apparently exactly what they did.

Of course, there was bad vibes surrounding that band from day one, from Murray's apparent envy over the fact that his sons were both more famous and more talented than he was (with one of them being a bona fide genius), to Dennis' brush with Charles Manson, to Brian's nervous breakdown, and on and on. Those guys made some great records, but boy did they pay the price.
    I used to think that the band fell into two camps - the Wilsons and the others - but apparently there was no love (pun intended) lost between Mike and Al either.

In a more perfect universe, the Wilson brothers would have left the band, allowed Mike Love to keep making the music he was comfortable with and keep the Beach Boys name, and formed their own band, which I believe would have been accepted as a truly progressive band without the baggage of the history of songs like "Barbara-Ann", "At the Drive-in" and "Help Me, Rhonda." What band name would have suited the Wilsons? I can't think of a better name than "Sunflower".

Suspended
    Found this cover by Kevin Parker (of Tame Impala) of a michael jackson song:

https://soundcloud.com/scottrek-145/...nger-in-moscow

The original:
    http://www.vevo.com/watch/michael-ja...USSM20301511#!

John Cale - Heartbreak Hotel:

I love the studio version too, but you gotta love John Cale live.

From Slow Dazzle (1975):

Type O Negative - Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft and Cinnamon Girl by Neil Young

Great tunage.

I'll probably catch flak for this but I really like Nazareth's version of Joni Mitchell's song "This Flight Tonight" much more than Joni's original version.