Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: You like a cover more than the original

Deep Purple did covers on both their debut and their third album ("River Deep Mountain High","Kentucky Woman", "I'm So Glad", "Help", "Lalena" and a couple of other Beatle tunes that escape me. Some were better than the originals, and some were not, but they were all at least very good.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I'll probably catch flak for this but I really like Nazareth's version of Joni Mitchell's song "This Flight Tonight" much more than Joni's original version.
    Clearly if you like that kind of band you'd prefer that kind of cover.

I actually like Joni's "cover" of Big Yellow Taxi". She re-recorded it as "Big Yellow Taxi (2007)" for the Shine album, and I think I prefer it to her original from Ladies of the Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Deep Purple did covers on both their debut and their third album ("River Deep Mountain High","Kentucky Woman", "I'm So Glad", "Help", "Lalena" and a couple of other Beatle tunes that escape me. Some were better than the originals, and some were not, but they were all at least very good.
    I'm not a big Deep Purple fan but the version of "We Can Work It Out" on Book of Taliesyn is a high point in Beatles covers for me.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I'm not a big Deep Purple fan but the version of "We Can Work It Out" on Book of Taliesyn is a high point in Beatles covers for me.
    I happen to like the all covers on those three Purple albums... They added some dramatics to the original that lacked some (well maybe the original Hey Joe had some, but Pople had much more), something that Vanilla Fudge did extremely well too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I barely remember ever hearing the original but I like Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" more than any other version I've ever heard. Never cared that much for The Who's version when I first heard it but today I dig it a lot. I think I heard Rush's cover once. Not bad but you can tell they're doing a mash up of both versions by Blue Cheer and The Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Blue Cheer and The Who.
    I had actually been trying to think of "covers that sound like someone else's cover" and that came to mind... kind of like the Blue Cheer version is now definitive. Not counting stuff like Nilsson's version of Without You where 95% of people don't even know another version exists...

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Clearly if you like that kind of band you'd prefer that kind of cover.

I actually like Joni's "cover" of Big Yellow Taxi". She re-recorded it as "Big Yellow Taxi (2007)" for the Shine album, and I think I prefer it to her original from Ladies of the Canyon.
    Yeah, clearly if I did, but it'd take Joni over Nazareth anytime except for that one song.