Thread: "FZ - A Pioneer of Future Music" (a documentary by Frank Scheffer)

chalkpie

"FZ - A Pioneer of Future Music" (a documentary by Frank Scheffer)

This has probably been discussed here before, but if you haven't seen it, please check it out. a WONDERFUL film with fantastic interviews, footage, and general insight into the brilliance of my favorite composer. If you are a Zappa non-fan, you will definitely view him slightly differently after watching this. Just great.

chalkpie
    PS - has anybody heard the "Zoot Allures" soundcheck Halloween show (NYC Palladium) that Steve Vai speaks of here? He says "(FZ) played the guitar like I've never seen anybody in my life". Sounds pretty special and magical

Definitely going to check this out thanks!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    Definitely going to check this out thanks!
    Mikey - you have to check out the bit at 1:22:15 where Vai talks about going over Zappa's house (he lived down the street he says) and FZ would show him the guitar part to what (eventually became) "What's New in Baltimore?" in pieces every time he came over until he learned the whole thing. I love hearing these little stories and Vai seems so enthusiastic about this stuff - fond memories for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Mikey - you have to check out the bit at 1:22:15 where Vai talks about going over Zappa's house (he lived down the street he says) and FZ would show him the guitar part to what (eventually became) "What's New in Baltimore?" in pieces every time he came over until he learned the whole thing. I love hearing these little stories and Vai seems so enthusiastic about this stuff - fond memories for sure.
    Frank I love all the stories from band members too, what a cool story too!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I've been meaning to give this one a watch (been popping up on my suggested vid part of youtube for awhile now). As soon as I have two hours to spare, I'm there!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Oh, boy! Just stayed up 'til 3am watching this. Superb! Tommorow is gonna' be a rough 'un!

Oh, I need to watch this! I have to find myself the time, but I definitely will. Thanks for sharing.

This is an excellent piece. I've been a passionate Zappa fan for 38 years and after awhile you think you've heard or read it all and there's nothing new to be gleaned. This documentary proves otherwise. I watch it every 6 months or so. This thread will prompt me to watch it again.

Thanks.. just finished watching this.. I had seen several snippets of the interviews before i.e. Steve Vai.. but overall outstanding movie..

I've watched that sucker about 10 times now since it showed up a few years back. Zappa being my all time favorite composer - guitarist - I cant get enough. The best part for me is the Vai interview with him talking about What's New in Baltimore?

Really enjoying this. Thanks for posting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Anyone who is a serious fan of the man and his music, make the time to see this...it's fantastic.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Here's a lost Frank Zappa interview I had not seen, which was interesting to listen too. It's in seven parts the other parts on YT:

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Here's a lost Frank Zappa interview I had not seen, which was interesting to listen too. It's in seven parts the other parts on YT:
    Yes - great as well! I love this man dearly.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Thanks for posting this.. I hadn't seen this..

I just finished finally watching it, and all I can say is "thanks Frank" and "thanks Frank".

The Vai stuff was really enlightening.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

BTW, Frank Scheffer, the director, made a lot of great documentaries about influential musicians. Check out his films about Pierre Boulez, John Cage, Elliott Carter and Gustav Mahler, for instance.