Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When the support band was better than the headliner

When the support band was better than the headliner

Probably happens a lot. For me it was a David Bowie concert circa '95, he was refusing to play anything "classic", it was pretty duff stuff. That night Morrissey blew him off the stage.

A few years ago I saw Styx open up for YES. Styx were great. Yes sucked(as much as it pains me to say that). That might be the only time I can think of though where an opening act blew the headliner off the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Probably happens a lot.
    It does. Top-of-the-ticket bands hate that.

-Gentle Giant seemed a lot sharper and just plain more mind blowing than Yes in Portland (July 1976).

-Judas Priest tore up and wore out the audience before Mahogany Rush came on. Mahogany Rush were great, but the crowd didn't give em' much and Marino was visibly less than pleased, there was no encore, (August 1977).

-Slayer was way more tight, heavy and on target than Judas Priest who looked look like silly costumed old men hamming it up on karaoke night, kind of sad really (Marysville CA, 2004)

Never saw Patto open for Ten Years After, but it's easy to believe that Ollie Halsall stole Alvin Lee's lunch money a few times. Also never had a chance to walk out after a young Van Halen kicked the stuffing out of Terrible Turd Nugget ...er I mean Nugent.
    Last edited by Bake 1; 06-09-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Maybe when Porcupine Tree opened for Yes on tour, a few years ago?

Library Jon

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Anyone backing Aerosmith in the 70s.

Max Webster backing up Rush (many times in the 70s).

I saw Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band open for Reverend Horton Heat, and I'm afraid Peyton blue the roof off the place. RevHo did not.

UK opening for Tull. ELP opening for Tull.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    ELP opening for Tull.
    This ^

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Johnny Winter opening for George Thorobad and the Destroyers in 1985.

When I saw Van Halen in 1984 (I can't recall who opened), the music in between sets (The Beatles) blew away the headliner (who totally sucked) by miles.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

1978 : Golden Earring completely blew away a strung -out Aerosmith.

1979(?) Dixie Dregs made Little feat look like chimps.

1979(or was it '78?) Judas Priest stole the show from KISS.

mid 90's - saw King Crimson open for a slew of younger bands and none could better them, though the seats were 80% empty for KC.

suprising I saw King Crimson I think it was late 90's with Mark here in the UK , big venue and packed!

Canadian band The Paupers blew Jefferson Airplane off the stage and were certainly almost as good as Cream back in 1967 when I saw both of these shows at the Cafe A Go Go in NYC.
    Last edited by progeezer; 06-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I saw Tony Levin Band once at the Birchmere (2002 I think ).
    They played an awesome cd before the show, Splattercell, a David Torn solo project.
    First I had ever heard of it.
    Blew Tony away, not that he was bad.

I have seen plenty of awful opening acts, like a really bad local southern rock cover band opening for Bill Bruford in 1979 at Louie's Rock City
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    UK opening for Tull
    That was the 3rd time I saw UK, and their set seemed like pretty rote run-throughs of their tunes--as on their live album.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Hellborg/Lane/Apt. Q-258 and Buckethead opening for The Jazz Mandolin Project.

Thin Lizzy opening for Queen, Nassau Coliseum, 1977.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

PFM opening for Dave Mason, San Antonio, TX, mid-70's.

Humble Pie opening for Grand Funk Railroad, Shea Stadium. (I wasn't there, but I'm sure that's how it shook down)
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Jeff Beck opened for Janis Joplin, '68
    Quatermass for The Kinks, '70
    Seatrain for Elton John, '71
    KC for Humble Pie, '71
    Humble Pie for Lee Michaels, '71
    The Byrds for Chuck Berry, '70

..and while I didn't witness it I'll guess Hendrix blew away The Monkees!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Aerosmith was notorious for upstaging headliners when they were on their way up. (Perhaps this happened to them once they reached the top.) Still, they easily overpowered Mott the Hoople at the Santa Monica Civic. I'd say they bettered ZZ Top at the LA Forum when they supported them.

Yes got a longer ovation for their encore when they were second bill to Black Sabbath.

As much as I loved ELP at the Santa Monica Civic (my first time seeing them) Mahavishnu Orchestra was more memorable as opener.

I was more excited to see Black Sabbath than headliner Grand Funk at the Forum.

Saw Humble Pie second bill to ELP at the Hollywood Bowl- on second thought ELP ruled!

Saw Gentle Giant open for Yes. Because Gary Wright and Peter Frampton followed, I got my second wind for Yes' set, plus GG were not given that much time. Luckily, Gentle Giant had given a full show in a Santa Barbara theater a couple of days earlier. Wow! Those were the days when you could see GG twice in the same week! Seeing GG at the SM Civic was also great- The smaller venues suited them more than a baseball stadium.

I was happier seeing PFM than headliner J. Giels Band

Much happier seeing Steve Hillage than bill-topper ELO.

Be-bop Deluxe was a formidable second bill to Queen (or was it Golden Earring? I can't remember!)
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 06-09-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    ..and while I didn't witness it I'll guess Hendrix blew away The Monkees!
    Soft Machine opened for Hendrix on a US tour, seems like an odd pairing. Wonder who won that battle o' the bands?

King's X opening for Living Colour in 1990

Understand this: Living Colour are a pretty intense tight band, they had monster sound, and an incredible light show. They were fabulous!

King's X literally had half the PA turned on ( I could tell when Living Colour came on that half the subs werent on for King's X ) and a few par cans lit for lights....and they were unbelievably awesome and were better than Living Colour

Fantastic show all the way around

Metallica made Ozzy look like a joke in '86. Ozzy didn't help his own cause in the matter as The Ultimate Sin was a lousy album and sucked live.

I remember walking in during Battery and thought I'd never heard anything like them. Ahh, thems were the days, before Lars became a total pussy and the band themselves became a joke(purely IMO, but that's the way I sees it).

Oh yeah, they stole the Monsters of Rock from everybody in '88. L.A. Colliseum, freakin' riot damned near. They turned the power off twice on them.

Went to the Monsters of Rock in SF. I left after Metallica. I don't know if I missed all that much but I got all I needed from them.