Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When the support band was better than the headliner

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In the early 80s, Richie Blackmore's Rainbow opened for Pat Travers right after releasing the Difficult to Cure album. Richie played circles around Travers.
    Sounds like a personal preferrence, coz I was fairly disappointed with Rainbow on the Between The Eyes tour (but then again I was hoping forDio-era stuff)... Travers put on a hell of a show in the late 70's... But once Aldridge and Thrall (to a lesser extent) left, it wasn't the same...
    But I'm surprised that travers would headline and rainbow open

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    P.S. It does not count as the support band being the 'winner' if you specifically went to SEE the support band.

imo
    Yup, in most case, that'smore partizanship than objectiveness (as if that was possible)

Laugh at Chris above.

Well, I went 3500 miles to see Henry Cow. I was NOT expecting their support band to lay me out, but they did, and made me a lifelong fan.

I meant that i think the OP meant THAT sort of experience....
    Yup, that only hap^pened once or twice as well...and some more, it's not because the opener rawked, but the headliners stunk...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Closest for me would have been Al DiMeola opening for Renaissance.. Al ripped through his set leaving everyone exhausted.. Then Annie came on and brought everyone back to earth.. mind you both bands were great that evening it's just that it was such a mismatch in terms of energy..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Closest for me would have been Al DiMeola opening for Renaissance.. Al ripped through his set leaving everyone exhausted.. Then Annie came on and brought everyone back to earth.. mind you both bands were great that evening it's just that it was such a mismatch in terms of energy..
    Agreed that some line-ups are total mismatches..
    And I can't see many people opening for Renaissance, because they are "so little energy" for a rock group, that you might as well orghanise a string quartet to open for them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I went to see Gorky's Zygotic Mynci around 1998, supported by The Olivia Tremor Control whom I had never heard of. GZM were pretty good but OTC absolutely blew my mind. Had I not seen them then, I'd probably have never heard of them, and I would have missed out on some of the finest psych-pop recorded since the 60s. Black Foliage is a definite desert island disc for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    On the one hand this seems wildly implausible to me, but on the other hand I saw LZ open for The Who in '69 and came damn close to doing the same (in fact, some would argue that they did).
    The Quadrophenia tour was a disaster and it didn't take much to play better than The Who on that tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
    Giant is coming up a LOT on these lists. No wonder.
    Gentle Giant blew 'Jimi Plays Berkeley' off the stage!!!!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

P.S. It does not count as the support band being the 'winner' if you specifically went to SEE the support band.

imo
    You mean like going to see the original UK line-up open for April Wine...

ok... then:

Rush opening for Mahogany Rush
    Hudson & Ford opening for Nazareth
    Manfred Mann's Earth Band Solar fire tour opening for Babe Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Max Webster backing up Rush (many times in the 70s).
    No way! I saw MW open for Rush at least 7 times back in the day on several tours & although I dug the shit outta MW, they never even came close to "blowing away" Rush or even being slightly better.

Rush opening for Ted Nugent
    Ted Nugent opening for Bad Company
    Saga opening for Billy Squier
    UK opening for Tull. Although Tull kicked ass, I had never even heard of UK prior to this gig & I was completely blown away.

Oh yes, Rainbow opening for REO Speedwagon. Still had Dio in the band then too

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I think I saw in a youtube video where Geddy Lee says that Genesis as a support act for Neil Young(I think)blew Neil off the stage. It might have been some other band but I'm pretty sure he said Neil Young. This would have been around 73/74 I believe.
    I believe it was Lou Reed, and yes, Geddy preferred Genesis.

Maneige blowing away Ekseption (but home advantage to Maneige, though)

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    No way! I saw MW open for Rush at least 7 times back in the day on several tours & although I dug the shit outta MW, they never even came close to "blowing away" Rush or even being slightly better.
    Blowing away might be too strong a word, but I saw those two on the same bill three times and I thought Webster ame out marginally lml three occasions

For me it was a Greg Rolie led Journey opening for ELO in 1976/7/8?

From high energy to a band I could tell was not "playing" most of their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    For me it was a Greg Rolie led Journey opening for ELO in 1976/7/8?

From high energy to a band I could tell was not "playing" most of their music.
    I just burned to disc a Journey from 11/18/76 from Austria.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Another was Rory Gallagher for Foghat circa 1976.
    Gallagher was second as Ace was first band.

1976? I think it was. Slade opening for ZZ Top. ZZ Top's Texas toast boogie woogie was no match for Slade's hardcore glam rock. Slade came out and owned the show from note one.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    1976? I think it was. Slade opening for ZZ Top. ZZ Top's Texas toast boogie woogie was no match for Slade's hardcore glam rock. Slade came out and owned the show from note one.
    I can well believe that! Slade where well known for 'blowing' many headline acts off the stage during their to fame in the UK!