Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATOMIC ROOSTER

ATOMIC ROOSTER

Really enjoy their first 3 albums which I just picked up. Many band member changes and Cranes health probably broke them up in the end. The first album is my fave, I prefer the US version of SLY over the album version though. Who else like these guys?

For me, the first two albums, the third less so. Caught them in '70; L-O-U-D!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Big fan of the second and third albums, I saw them in the 80s and they were terrific, but playing support to the dreadful Spider
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ Yep, two and three do it for me as well. But I love the live clips with Chris Farlowe. Sandwich at ~2:54.

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I could never get my head round Farlowes vocals in Rooster. He's great solo in the 60's but not in Rooster. Black Snake is a monster track.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I've their first three. Death Walks Behind You is a monster, one of the best classic rock albums you never heard. The other two are really good too, worthwhile. However, things really gelled on that second one.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I just can't grasp why people don't like Farlowe in Rooster... Ok, Nice"N Gready is not very good, but Made In In England is awesome (my fave aftter In Hearing Of)... Actually, I find CF almost better in AR than in Colosseum

Ian, go for Roooster (debut), it's definitely worth it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm surprised at how much Rooster stuff was fimed... I thought the Belgian TV was the only thing ever filmed in whole
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love everything they ever did. My favorite being the End Of The Day EP on Polydor from 1982.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I just can't grasp why people don't like Farlowe in Rooster... Ok, Nice"N Gready is not very good, but Made In In England is awesome (my fave aftter In Hearing Of)... Actually, I find CF almost better in AR than in Colosseum
    That's like saying dogsh*t is better than catsh*t. Farlowe is H*O*R*R*I*B*L*E!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm surprised at how much Rooster stuff was fimed... I thought the Belgian TV was the only thing ever filmed in whole
    Like Spooky Tooth, for instance, Atomic Rooster were a fairly well-known act in Germany, France and the Benelux - much more so than in the Anglosaxon part of things.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Love them, one of great heavy/hard/progressive acts.
    The first three albums are top notch. My fave is In Hearing Of Atomic Rooster, with Death Walks Behind You close second.
    Made in England is good, I like almost half of it , but I'd much prefer Du Cann or French on vocals to Farlowe. Who's voice is fine, but the manner of singing is sometimes caricatural. Vince Crane was a monster keyboardist..John Du Cann was another bright individual, he wrote some terrific tunes for AR. I love him with Hard Stuff, especially their second, Bolex Dementia - I found there two great Du Cann songs.
    Atomic Rooster eponymous 1980 album really deserves attention, though it's far from brilliancy of the first three. I also recommend their singles of 1981-82 ( Play It Again/Rebel With A Clause/End Of The Day/Night Living) - all good tracks, two of which I'd rank as classic AR..
    Their last studio album, Headline News(1983) I hardly remember..nothing special, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    John Du Cann....I love him with Hard Stuff,
    ....and the neglected Andromeda.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I love him with Hard Stuff, especially their second, Bolex Dementia
    I love him with HS as well but more for the monster debut - a mean, greasy, hard rock classic......the follow-up seemed a real drop off in quality for me, with its lame funk and glam influences.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    ....and the neglected Andromeda.
    I have heard only two Andromeda songs - on John Du Cann Anthology, The Many Sides of 1967-1980.
    Return To Sanity is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I love him with HS as well but more for the monster debut - a mean, greasy, hard rock classic......the follow-up seemed a real drop off in quality for me, with its lame funk and glam influences.
    Bulletproof suffers of lame production, and it's more Gustafson album, than Du Cann album. Bolex Dementia is divided strictly 50/50 between Gustafson and Du Cann. More Du Cann songs, than on debut, and they are slightly better, than those on debut. Funk influenced tunes all came from Gustafson. Du Cann did what he ever does - r'n r, hard rock.

^^I love both HS albums passionately, as well as Andromeda. I think I like Hard Stuff even more than Rooster.

Also love Steve Bolton's group after his tenure in Rooster called Headstone.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Speaking of Gustafson, fans of AR should not miss the stunning Quartermass album. Really a masterpiece of early heavy prog.

Speaking of Gustafson, fans of AR should not miss the stunning Quartermass album. Really a masterpiece of early heavy prog.
    Yes. There was a quite lengthy thread on this album about a year back or so. Phenomenal stuff indeed.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Speaking of Gustafson,
    http://dmme.net/interviews/gus.html

a very enlightening read.

Bulletproof suffers of lame production, and it's more Gustafson album, than Du Cann album. Bolex Dementia is divided strictly 50/50 between Gustafson and Du Cann. More Du Cann songs, than on debut, and they are slightly better, than those on debut. Funk influenced tunes all came from Gustafson. Du Cann did what he ever does - r'n r, hard rock.
    I love Bulletproofs rough production....it sounds fucking great!! And while the songwriting may be tipped more towards Gustafson, Du Cann rips on this. I rank Bulletproof up with Zep 4, Buffalos' Volcanic Rock et al as a prime example of that early 70's heavy heavy sound. BD just fails to hit those heights and sounds dangerously Chinn-Chapman at times.....We shall just have to agree to disagree methinks.

As for Rooster, I think the debut is patchy but good, Death Walks is as close as they get to a masterpiece and then they drop off sharply after that. Not sure why In Hearing Of gets such props round here.....in comparison to Death Walks it sounds emasculated. Love Farlowe in Colosseum but never found him a good fit in Rooster.....and to my mind the quality of the writing is poor in a band that always struggled for good songs.

In Hearing Of I believe is their most prog-oriented release, a bit more complicated, than DWBY, and the songs are in the scale from good to great. There are no hits like "Tomorrow Night', but compositions like 'Breakthrough', 'Decision/Indecision,' 'Black Snake', 'Head in the Sky' makes In Hearing Of an outstanding album.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    http://dmme.net/interviews/gus.html

a very enlightening read.
    Yeah, fantastic interview, seems like exhaustingly complete picture of JG. I've read this about a year ago or so, now reread with pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    That's like saying dogsh*t is better than catsh*t. Farlowe is H*O*R*R*I*B*L*E!
    To each his tastes... (I'm not big on dungs & turds, so I wouldn't know )

But those complaining of the funk thing on MiE or M&G, it's already present on IHO...

And Farlowe sang in concert the tracks of that album without the slif-ghtest problem.