Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AAJ Review: Yes, The Yes Album (Definitive Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    But, don't you care if they are factually incorrect? Haven't you heard the saying, "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."? (<-ronmac)
    I'm flattered that you would credit me with such wisdom. But, it's not an original quote.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Listen, A., can we please put this to rest? You made some suggestions; I accepted one and rejected another....but when it comes to facts I am happy to accept corrections from folks, as I hope you now appreciate. I took the time to address your concerns (and I'll tell you not a lot of writers would). I was under the impression that we had cleared things up so the thread could move forward, back on topic, but it just keeps on going, away from the original intent of the thread...and, at this point, for no good reason that I can see.

So, can we please move on? It's totally derailed a thread that was really intended to engender discussion about this reissue, not the pluses and minuses of critical writing and critiquing the critic, though I think I've been as generous in giving my time to your comments as you have in bringing issues to my attention, no?

So, howzabout we move on and talk about what's more important: the music? Have you heard the reissue! What do you think about it?

Thank you.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm flattered that you would credit me with such wisdom. But, it's not an original quote.
    I wasn't quoting you. I was directing you to my punctuation. (If I wanted to quote you, I would have done so.)
    Last edited by A. Scherze; 06-14-2014 at 08:47 AM.

I wasn't quoting you. I was directing you to my punctuation. (If I wanted to quote you, I would have done so.)
    Good. I wasn't sure. It was a bit cryptic. I'm happy to have helped.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

John:

My joke (the punchline to Python sketch) was a signal that I was putting it to rest. Timmy is the one who restarted it (and insulted me). Take it up with him.

You and I have reached our stasis (and I would not attack through a proxy) but, forgive me if I get miffed that everyone here is entitled to their opinion -- except me.

(TYA is one of my favorite Yes albums, even more then Fragile and, maybe even, CTTE, but I haven't heard the new version, yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Good. I wasn't sure. It was a bit cryptic. I'm happy to have helped.
    But, did you like the period, quotation mark, question mark formation?

John:

My joke (the punchline to Python sketch) was a signal that I was putting it to rest. Timmy is the one who restarted it (and insulted me). Take it up with him.

You and I have reached our stasis (and I would not attack through a proxy) but, forgive me if I get miffed that everyone here is entitled to their opinion -- except me.

(TYA is one of my favorite Yes albums, even more then Fragile and, maybe even, CTTE, but I haven't heard the new version, yet.)
    I think I've been clear that your opinion was welcome. Glad this is over...and I did get the dirty knife reference....
    Cheers,
    John

If I may interject one concept at this juncture...?

Played the 5.1 mix of this a few days back and loved it.

5.1 mixes are not for every album, but for certain significant, interesting and significant albums they can be very good indeed.

This is an album that was always sonically interesting to start with, and it's albums like this that warrant such a mix.

What I like about this one is that it does not just arbitrarily throw the instruments around the speakers for effect, for the most part it is about creating an interesting mix by occasional emphasis here and there, without drastically changing the basic mix or overall sound.

The separation across the channels is very well done without being showy. But above all I love the way this captures Squires bass tone...heavy, but with that slightly trebly tone that cuts through. Exactly how you want it to sound.

But the standout for me is Perpetual Change...the instrumental section was always incredible even in basic stereo with the panning across the speakers...but I love what has been done with the mix here. Not even going to describe it...buy it and get a surround system and listen for yourself.

Not got round to the other mixes yet, apart from the live tracks which I quite liked...quite a nice intimate, club venue kind of sound to them.

ps - good job I didn't complain about the dirty knife...

It was perfect.