Thread: 12 Bizarre True Stories Behind Famous Band Names

12 Bizarre True Stories Behind Famous Band Names

Came across this and well, here it is. More nonsense for your enjoyment.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17423...and-names.html

Interesting. Even more interesting is that fact that Cracked is still alive. I thought it died years ago along with Crazy, another Mad wannabee.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I always thought KISS stood for Keep It Simple Stupid.

I have a whole book of band name origins. Of course many of them, like Pearl Jam, are made up stories to cover up the fact that they're really stupid sex jokes.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Hawkwind has had a bizarre name history in that it was Nik Turner's nickname because he retched and farted a lot, but it morphed into being synonymous with science fiction laden space rock music

Emperor's came about because apparently Samoth ran out of using rather bizarre English words (Xerasia) and was told by Euronymous that Emperor would be a cool name for a band.

Ozric Tentacles named themselves after a fictitious cereal they came up with

Jefferson Airplane is after a fictitious blues musician
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I have a list of band names I've come up with, but nobody has used any of it.

Since the article was about FAMOUS bands, I didn't expect to find Horslips on there.

The story on their name is that they were having more than a few pints when one of the members tried to say, "the four horsemen of the apocalypse" and it came out as "the four poxmen of the horse lips..."
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Since the article was about FAMOUS bands, I didn't expect to find Horslips on there...."
    Another fictitious cereal, eh?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    It was 10cc that was named after spunk (the average amount of same in an ejaculation), but yeah, when I think of Pearl Jam, that works.

Surely The Lovin' Spoonful predates !0cc with ejaculated sperm volume inspired band names?

^ trivia: the cover of Metallica's 'Load" album is a photo of a mixture of semen & blood on clear glass. at least that's what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Surely The Lovin' Spoonful predates !0cc with ejaculated sperm volume inspired band names?
    I had never really thought about this name before until you brought it up. So I did, a few minutes ago. Trying to think of what the words in the title make me think of, or rather, what I thought of years ago when I first heard it. Spoonful makes me think of medicine. Therefore, a spoonful of lovin medicine would be.........

THEN, it hit me like a twelve ton heavy thing. How could I have been so dense?

I do know the origin of Toad The Wet Sprocket, so I guess I'm not a completely lost cause but damn, I should have gotten that one.

For some reason I always associated Lovin' Spoonful with heroin. Well, because of the spoon reference.

My personal favorite is Ugly Kid Joe's story...

They were nameless and secured an opening slot for an up n' coming hair metal band called Pretty Boy Floyd......they thought the posters would look cool if they read:

Pretty Boy Floyd
    with
    Ugly Kid Joe

tru story