Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polk Loudspeakers

Jon Neudorf

Polk Loudspeakers

I remember Polk speakers back in the '80s were quite popular but I have never listened to them. I am looking to upgrade my system and Polk speakers often go on sale in my neck of the woods. Anyone here have Polk speakers and if so how do they sound. Thanks in advance for all who respond.

Regards,
    Jon

I don't have Polks but I heard some recently powered through a Denon amp. Not bad at all. Tight bass and the highs weren't sweetened. Their subs are very good. Obviously there are better audiophile brands but Polk are still better than any of the stuff in big box retailers or malls. And being you're living in the sticks just as much as I am, it's not like there's high end stores to shop in anyway. What will you be using as a receiver/amp? It's best if you can hear them with your brand before you buy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The models sold through new egg , the model 30 - 70 are very nicely priced and they sound pretty good for home theater. They are sold just through newegg.
    They are not audiophile , but based on older mid range Polk speakers.
    Their LSI line are audiophile and need pretty substantial amps.
    I have the model 70's for fronts, model 40"s for rear. A nice combo for me.
    Last edited by markwoll; 12-03-2012 at 08:48 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I own a pair of SDA-CRS from 1988. Still work. But I doubt they're a good indicator of how Polks sound now-a-days. Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate. The SDAs I own are philosophically different from their current line in that my models employ passive radiators, not ports, for extended bass response. Also, the SDA circuitry and driver layout is in conflict with modern HT environment. But I still listen to music in stereo, not 5.1.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I'm a long-time fan. I think they have a really good sound to price ratio... I don't keep up with such things though, I don't really know what the modern alternatives are.

Jon Neudorf
    To answer your question Jerjo, I am looking for a new receiver as well (my lousy Sony went on the blink). I need something that will work well as both home theater and music (CDs) but my budget will be a little limited. That's why Polks caught my eye as others have stated they are pretty decent for the price. As far as receivers go Denon, Marantz, NAD, Yamaha and Pioneer seem to go an sale quite regularly. High end audio is not practical at this time.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Also, the SDA circuitry and driver layout is in conflict with modern HT environment.
    ???

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    ???
    well, not in conflict - poor choice of words - the driver layout and SDA circuitry is inconsequential to the modern multi-channel environment. Sounstaging and imaging is more a function of digital signal processing than it is speaker design/driver arrangment, at least where my old fashioned Polks are concerned (not saying speaker design is less important in the HT world). The SDA (stereo dimensional array) placed two mid-bass drivers side by each, with the inner driver playing a mix of the opposite channel (out of phase) for cross-talk cancelation, expanding the stereo field of seperation as well enhancing a phantom center audio image. And it worked too, but careful consideration had to be made with regards to speaker placement, listening position, etc. You know, wannabe audiophool stuff.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

well, not in conflict - poor choice of words - the driver layout and SDA circuitry is inconsequential to the modern multi-channel environment. Sounstaging and imaging is more a function of digital signal processing than it is speaker design/driver arrangment, at least where my old fashioned Polks are concerned (not saying speaker design is less important in the HT world). The SDA (stereo dimensional array) placed two mid-bass drivers side by each, with the inner driver playing a mix of the opposite channel (out of phase) for cross-talk cancelation, expanding the stereo field of seperation as well enhancing a phantom center audio image. And it worked too, but careful consideration had to be made with regards to speaker placement, listening position, etc. You know, wannabe audiophool stuff.
    Thanks for the clarification. I was scratching my head when I read your comment.

Speaker placement and listening position are two very under used techniques that don't cost money and significantly improve the sound quality on a music system. Sometimes it takes a little bit of patience to find the sweet spot, but in some cases it could make a system sound better than purchasing a more expensive speaker or source component. The main problem with this approach is that most people do not have a dedicated room and the optimal position of speakers and listening spot might not be the most practical for a room that is used for more than listening to music.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    To answer your question Jerjo, I am looking for a new receiver as well (my lousy Sony went on the blink). I need something that will work well as both home theater and music (CDs) but my budget will be a little limited. That's why Polks caught my eye as others have stated they are pretty decent for the price. As far as receivers go Denon, Marantz, NAD, Yamaha and Pioneer seem to go an sale quite regularly. High end audio is not practical at this time.

Regards,
    Jon
    Sounds like a decent plan. I would suggest one thing. Bring a stack of CDs, ones you know really well and are known to be good sounding and run the speakers with various receivers/amps in your price range. You'll be amazed how different those speakers will sound depending on what's pushing them. And when you find the sweetest combination, lay your money down. When we got our system, my wife and I spent a long time sitting in the showroom, playing with combinations using our fave CDs. It was an eye-opener how much difference there is, even without getting into nosebleed high-end territory.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Sounds like a decent plan. I would suggest one thing. Bring a stack of CDs, ones you know really well and are known to be good sounding and run the speakers with various receivers/amps in your price range. You'll be amazed how different those speakers will sound depending on what's pushing them. And when you find the sweetest combination, lay your money down. When we got our system, my wife and I spent a long time sitting in the showroom, playing with combinations using our fave CDs. It was an eye-opener how much difference there is, even without getting into nosebleed high-end territory.
    Very good advice! Supertramp - Crime, Floyd - Dark Side, Porky Tree - Lightbulb Sun and Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Good advice on bringing CDs of familiar music. Even better if you create one or two CDRs with various styles of music so you can go from one style of music to another and see how the systems you are auditioning react instead of relying on your memory while changing discs. Make sure you include female vocals and acoustic tracks in your selections to ensure the sound stage is realistic and the tonality, scaling, and ambiance make a simple, yet complete presentation.

BTW, make sure that the store where you buy your equipment has a good exchange/return policy. Even better if they have a loan program. Sometimes what sounds good on an audio store might not sound so good at your residence or with your equipment.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Good advice on bringing CDs of familiar music. Even better if you create one or two CDRs with various styles of music so you can go from one style of music to another and see how the systems you are auditioning react instead of relying on your memory while changing discs. Make sure you include female vocals and acoustic tracks in your selections to ensure the sound stage is realistic and the tonality, scaling, and ambiance make a simple, yet complete presentation.

BTW, make sure that the store where you buy your equipment has a good exchange/return policy. Even better if they have a loan program. Sometimes what sounds good on an audio store might not sound so good at your residence or with your equipment.
    Thanks!

Regards,
    Jon

Jon Neudorf
    Anyone have the NAD T 748 7 channel receiver? Thinking of listening to that paired with Polk TSI 500 tower speakers. Right now the system is selling for $1288 (also included is a Polk 10 inch sub). I figure that sounds like a pretty decent deal. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Jon

I own a pair of SDA-CRS from 1988. Still work. But I doubt they're a good indicator of how Polks sound now-a-days. Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate. The SDAs I own are philosophically different from their current line in that my models employ passive radiators, not ports, for extended bass response. Also, the SDA circuitry and driver layout is in conflict with modern HT environment. But I still listen to music in stereo, not 5.1.
    Still have my SDA-1A's, love 'em.

I own a pair of SDA-CRS from 1988. Still work. But I doubt they're a good indicator of how Polks sound now-a-days. Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate. The SDAs I own are philosophically different from their current line in that my models employ passive radiators, not ports, for extended bass response.
    One of my smaller systems has a pair of Polk S-8 speakers....8" woofer, 8" passive radiator, and silk dome tweeter. I agree...Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate.... If they could handle more power I would consider them a prime choice for the main speakers in my main system (these max at 150 watts peak, my main amp rates 200 watts RMS/ch, meaning even more on peaks...the system I do use them with is rated 45w/ch, a perfect match). I just really like the way they sound, and among the MANY speakers and systems to choose from, the Polks are one of my favorites.

BTW, I got the pair for a whopping $10, including small stands, at a flea market. In fact, MOST of my audio gear has been gotten at fleas and yard sales for pennies on the dollar....a great way to build a great system on a budget. As people move to crappy or even not so crappy home theater setups, they are dumping great vintage gear CHEAP.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question. There are, however, a lot of inquisitive idiots.

I still have a pair of 10s from the 70's man.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Anyone have the NAD T 748 7 channel receiver? Thinking of listening to that paired with Polk TSI 500 tower speakers. Right now the system is selling for $1288 (also included is a Polk 10 inch sub). I figure that sounds like a pretty decent deal. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Jon
    Two reviews of that receiver:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...ver-Review.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r.../nad-t-748-pre

Quote Originally Posted by OptiquesJeff View Post
    One of my smaller systems has a pair of Polk S-8 speakers....8" woofer, 8" passive radiator, and silk dome tweeter. I agree...Other brands could play deeper and/or louder bass, but Polks were always very tight and articulate.... If they could handle more power I would consider them a prime choice for the main speakers in my main system (these max at 150 watts peak, my main amp rates 200 watts RMS/ch, meaning even more on peaks...the system I do use them with is rated 45w/ch, a perfect match). I just really like the way they sound, and among the MANY speakers and systems to choose from, the Polks are one of my favorites.
    Not sure how loud you listen to your music, but if you feel the Polk S-8's sound that great, you should reconsider and use them on your main system. Running the S8s at medium to high volume levels on the 45 Watt amplifier could do more damage to the speakers than running it at low or medium levels on the 200 Watt amplifier. When you play music at a lower volume level, knob setting, the amplifier doesn’t have to work as hard to drive the speakers to their full capacity, resulting in cleaner, more dynamic sound. Playing at higher volume levels, knob setting, will get the amplifier into its distortion region (Clipping), which usually does more damage to speakers than surpassing the peak wattage figure.

A good rule of thumb is that if you have to use more than 60% of your volume level setting, you probably need a bigger amplifier.

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks Jerjo, I had already come across those. Was hoping for some feedback via PE members.

Regards,
    Jon

So Jon, did you pull the trigger and buy?

Jon Neudorf
    Not yet Jerjo. I am hoping to score a decent deal on Boxing Day. Really hoping it will happen.

Regards,
    Jon

Been using Polk forever. I've had the same Polk RM6900 5.1 for a while now. Replaced the sub that came with them because it was weak and these things are awesome. Music or movies...great sound!

Speaking of Polk TSI series, I bought the 300's for my Dad and they are great as well. Add a good sub and they rock. Without the sub they still sound good, but for good movie experience I'd add it.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks Klonk. Good to know!

Regards,
    Jon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Their LSI line are audiophile and need pretty substantial amps.
    I have the LSI 5.1 surround system (all 5 speakers including the powered subwoofers within the towers) and it takes pretty much all my Pioneer SC-37 Elite receiver can offer. They are 4 ohms, which is a challenge for most receivers. The LSI series may have been replaced with the LSIM series which appears to have taken the flagship position.