Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anathema - Distant Satellites

Love the people in this band, they are really nice and very good live and I would kill for their sales, but maybe my taste has changed, I find this quite boring and can't quite see what direction it's going for. I think they can do better and it's a 'material' thing. sure it will get the gongs and yes I know I'm biased I still think our nick Magnus album is a more cohesive album , stronger songs and a better listen .

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Love the people in this band, they are really nice and very good live and I would kill for their sales, but maybe my taste has changed, I find this quite boring and can't quite see what direction it's going for. I think they can do better and it's a 'material' thing. sure it will get the gongs and yes I know I'm biased I still think our nick Magnus album is a more cohesive album , stronger songs and a better listen .
    I bet you think it should sound more like IQ and Yes....therefore, your argument is clearly invalid.

( )
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I too really like the Nick Magnus album, but to me they are apples and oranges. Nick's album is a really nicely done, retro sounding album. The majority of it sounds as if it could have been released in 78. That isn't a knock on it as I love that sound. I actually wish more artist from that era would continue to embrace that style. The Anathema album to me is more of a modern rock album more so than even a Prog release. There are some elements of Prog in there, but I just think the two albums are so vastly different. Both good in their own ways and personally, unlike some on here, I really like what Anathema did on the new album. It took a few listens to appreciate, but I really enjoy it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I too really like the Nick Magnus album, but to me they are apples and oranges. Nick's album is a really nicely done, retro sounding album. The majority of it sounds as if it could have been released in 78. That isn't a knock on it as I love that sound. I actually wish more artist from that era would continue to embrace that style. The Anathema album to me is more of a modern rock album more so than even a Prog release. There are some elements of Prog in there, but I just think the two albums are so vastly different. Both good in their own ways and personally, unlike some on here, I really like what Anathema did on the new album. It took a few listens to appreciate, but I really enjoy it now.
    Again, I agree with this. As a sort of comparison, I think of 'Weather Systems' as Anathema's 'OK Computer' and 'Distant Satellites as their 'Kid A'. I agree, Anathema is modern prog rock and they take their influences from modern artists. I hear Radiohead and also hear a Mogwai influence in the way the keyboards are played, especially in 'Weather Systems' and 'Distant Satellites'. I really enjoy it as well, this is a perfectly strong album by Anathema and way much better than what passes as prog these days (at least to me). Maybe I get them and appreciate the modern elements and what they are trying to do. Having seen them live recently made me appreciate what they are more. As I said before, I think they are way ahead of the pack, I'm glad their new album has charted very high in the UK and in Europe.

Out of ten I think the new one deserves just one mark less than Weather Systems. So that is a 9 for me then.

Can't think of a band that seem to so effortlessly push the emotion button with such regularity.

I do understand the criticism that it is similar to the last effort. Very interesting to see where the band go with their next one.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsnow View Post
    Out of ten I think the new one deserves just one mark less than Weather Systems. So that is a 9 for me then.

Can't think of a band that seem to so effortlessly push the emotion button with such regularity.

I do understand the criticism that it is similar to the last effort. Very interesting to see where the band go with their next one.
    I agree. I think that's a fair assessment.

My comment was more about what gets the gongs. I appreciate not the same thing at all sound wise. At the end of the day they gave a good fanbase and sell,

I wrote a big article about this album. I prefer Weather Systems... that one blew my mind a bit, I must say. Elegant and emotional and consistent sonically —*probably their most "prog" album. And some other earlier albums are quite good (just got a hold of the Hindsight album and it's quite lovely). This is a nice effort, though, and even the bleeps and bloops in the last few tracks don't bother me. Mind you, I listen to a lot of electronic music.

I think this new album, probably more so than their older releases, tends to follow a formula. The backing band gets into a groove and the vocals sing the song/melody over them. The melodies on this new disk are decent enough, but I guess I notice their formula more than on previous disks. I was hoping for more variety in the song structures.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Was looking at where to start with this band. Was thinking maybe the Universal live release as it covers the prior 3 before Sateliites. If I like that, then get Satellites.

I am not typically a fan of live albums but this one seems to blend the best of the prior 3 with a backing orchestra. Am I missing something by not going straight to Weather?

Rick..

Suspended
    I'm not a great fan of live albums either, so I would be in the camp that says you should start with We're Here Because We're Here, Weather Systems, or Hindisght (which I don't have, but which apparently features very good acoustic reworkings of some of their earlier songs).
    Having said that, I know this band gets great reviews as a live act, so perhaps the live album is better than most live albums.

I personally was highly disappointed in Distant Satellites. I thought it broke down into two sets of songs - those that were somewhat in the style of Weather Systems, but not as good, making it sound as though they had become formulaic; and those that seemed to be trying something new, namely the use of lots of electronic effects, but which I don't think worked all that well. The best tracks are probably the title song and Anathema (the song). Still I know many of the fans loved the latest album.

Hindsight is a great compilation...it isn't strictly acoustic reworkings but more "mellowed-out" reworkings. The version of 'Are You There' (originally from A Natural Disaster) is simply gorgeous.

Universal is a strong live set, and the band is backed by a symphony in places. As a good overview of their recent work, IMHO it is a solid starting point. If you love it, by all means get the studio discs.

The Kscope albums are kind of similar in terms of feel...among other things, the music and energy is slightly more upbeat and positive. I once caught some grief because I described them circa Weather Systems as making the best album Coldplay hasn't done. It wasn't really meant as a slam: IMHO Weather Systems is seriously tuneful but also much more artistic/progressive...something IMHO Coldplay usually tries to aspire to but doesn't quite succeed with.

I also very much like the pair that happened prior to their arrival on Kscope (and quite a few years earlier): A Natural Disaster and A Fine Day to Exit. Both are darker but also find the band really stretching out, trying to reinvent themselves and craft a new sound. I think that sound was pretty well fully fleshed-out when We're Here came out...but there's definitely something interesting in those prior two albums.

Stuff prior to that was more hit and miss for me...there are some great tracks and many folks really dig Judgement. I wasn't quite as convinced by their stuff until the later albums noted above.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'll never get the love for Weather Systems, I mean, it's OK, but kinda samey sounding all the way through. I love We're Here Because We're Here, but Weather Systems disappointed me. I was hoping that this new one would be a return to more rock oriented songs and not so much a wedding album.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Hindsight is a great compilation...it isn't strictly acoustic reworkings but more "mellowed-out" reworkings. The version of 'Are You There' (originally from A Natural Disaster) is simply gorgeous.

Universal is a strong live set, and the band is backed by a symphony in places. As a good overview of their recent work, IMHO it is a solid starting point. If you love it, by all means get the studio discs.

The Kscope albums are kind of similar in terms of feel...among other things, the music and energy is slightly more upbeat and positive. I once caught some grief because I described them circa Weather Systems as making the best album Coldplay hasn't done. It wasn't really meant as a slam: IMHO Weather Systems is seriously tuneful but also much more artistic/progressive...something IMHO Coldplay usually tries to aspire to but doesn't quite succeed with.

I also very much like the pair that happened prior to their arrival on Kscope (and quite a few years earlier): A Natural Disaster and A Fine Day to Exit. Both are darker but also find the band really stretching out, trying to reinvent themselves and craft a new sound. I think that sound was pretty well fully fleshed-out when We're Here came out...but there's definitely something interesting in those prior two albums.

Stuff prior to that was more hit and miss for me...there are some great tracks and many folks really dig Judgement. I wasn't quite as convinced by their stuff until the later albums noted above.

Yeah, that version of "Are You There" is awesome. To me doom metal is so adolescent with its focus on despair 24/7. I've listened a lot to A Natural Disaster but I find it too abstract, not in a good way. A Fine Day to Exit is decent alternative but Vincent's pulling a Thom Yorke on there. To me it wasn't until We're Here Because We're Here that they really got it together. Which doesn't mean people shoudn't try out the earlier stuff.

The Universal concert is wonderful almost as much for the incredible way it's shot as for the music itself; that Hoile really knows what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'll never get the love for Weather Systems, I mean, it's OK, but kinda samey sounding all the way through. I love We're Here Because We're Here, but Weather Systems disappointed me. I was hoping that this new one would be a return to more rock oriented songs and not so much a wedding album.
    I think you basically have to be on board with the sentiments with this band, or not ... a lot of people don't go for the super-inspirational thing.

The new songs come over well live, and the title track in particular sounded so much more intense.

If you're going to see the band on the current tour, give the album a spin beforehand and then be amazed hearing it all come together live.

I've got their last 3 albums on a constant loop! Just love the pure emotion the band generates. Got to see them live.

But, a bit like Big Big Train, I just cannot get into their earlier stuff.

I saw their sold-out show in London at Koko last Friday, from about 4 rows back and have to say it was pretty sensational. I only came to the band after Weather Systems and missed the development from metal to atmospheric progressive sounds, but have been loving the recent releases (I've tracked back to A Natural Disaster). There is definitely something afoot with them as they are gradually selling out this tour all across the UK, and the audience was totally on message, in tune and lyrically perfect, and the band were totally in sync with and thrilled by the reception. If you get a chance to see this tour then grab it, I think next time around the venues will be even bigger, and although the music and lights will work splendidly, the intimacy will never be quite the same.

Firstly I think the tale below was more about the venue than the band however.......

Went to see Anathema at Woles on Thursday. Having seen them several times over the years I was particularly looking forward to this. Sound, more pointedly the vocals, were appaling. I thought it was me at first but more and more I could sense the crowd getting agitated. I am assuming the venue's PA was at fault but would be interested on hearing from anyone else who attended as to how they viewed it all.

The sound at Koko was very good and the vocals clear, so it does sound like the venue may have been at fault for that particular show.

Sound in Glasgow was very good. Despite the very low ceiling, sound was pretty stable and vocals clear and on-pitch.

Just to let people in the US know, Anathema will be headlining Saturday night at ProgPower USA next year. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

As for the new album, I recently picked it up and have been listening to it. I'll say that it is a hair below Weather Systems, given they do seem to be following a formula from the last album, tho the last 4 songs doesn't really fit the pattern. "You're Not Alone" sounds like it would be more at home on a Porcupine Tree album. Given that Steven Wilson mixed the track, that isn't much of a shock. The rest is more laid back and electronic, and I'm not sure if I like it.

While much of the album follows the formula of the previous album, it is a formula they are very good at. It just doesn't stand out as much as "Weather Systems" did.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    The new songs come over well live, and the title track in particular sounded so much more intense.

If you're going to see the band on the current tour, give the album a spin beforehand and then be amazed hearing it all come together live.
    Agreed. While I think Distant Satellites is their best since A Natural Disaster (I like the sadder music and the electronic stuff), I was still amazed to hear how much better the stuff sounded live when I saw them in London this last Friday night.

I think Weather Systems was a bit derivative after WHBWH but at the same time thought half of the album was outstanding. 2/3 of WHBWH is great to my ears. The only song off DS that I don't like is You're Not Alone, which they played live. Danny made a comment afterwards about how he's heard most people don't like the song but they felt like playing it live so oh well. It was quite funny how he put it.
    Last edited by marblesmike; 10-01-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Sound in Glasgow was very good. Despite the very low ceiling, sound was pretty stable and vocals clear and on-pitch.
    It was the same in Bristol as well. Third time I've seen them this year.

Anathema have just announced an acoustic Cathedral tour for next March here in the UK.

I've got tickets for the Winchester Cathedral show.