Thread: Banco: the Canto di Primavera

Banco: the Canto di Primavera

Greetings al,

I recently gave a try to this record and found that, although it is not the classic Banco sound, it's a great record, with Francesco Di Giacomo in great shape, lots of keyboards and horn arrangements.

I think all in all it's a great sort of italian folk prog record. Since I also love Paspartu by PFM I was wondering if anyone can recomend more records in that vein.

thanks,

Many prog bands would love to have their best releases be as good as Canto di Primavera. I love it.

Considering it is a not up to Banco's best, just goes to demonstrate how brilliant their best is.

You may like:

Eris Pluvia - Rings of Earthly Light

Hostsonaten - Their 'season' related titles: Springsong, Winterthrough, Autumn Symphony, Summereve

Le Orme - Florian
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Very underrated album, I think. I quite like that "sophisticated jazz-pop versus folk" sound that they envision here. I dunno, have you heard their countrymen Libra, both of whose records (Musica e Parole and the mostly all-instrumental Shock) are vaguely in the same vein? Or perhaps the Samadhi album? You'd might also enjoy Fabrizio de Andre's highly regarded Creuza de Ma release from 1984, in which he's paired up with Mauro Pagani of PFM; it's generally considered one of the finest Italian pop/rock/folk albums ever made.

You'd probably also enjoy some of the big Argentinian acts of the day, like Seru Giran (with Charly Garcia) or Spinetta Jade(with Luis Alberto Spinetta), both of whom are considered near-mythical down there. The extremely refined mixture of relatively intricate pop/rock with folk and jazz elements could very well be just up your alley.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Many prog bands would love to have their best releases be as good as Canto di Primavera. I love it.

Considering it is a not up to Banco's best, just goes to demonstrate how brilliant their best is.

You may like:

Eris Pluvia - Rings of Earthly Light

Hostsonaten - Their 'season' related titles: Springsong, Winterthrough, Autumn Symphony, Summereve

Le Orme - Florian
    I haven't heard any of those records. I've always been curious about Florian, since I like classic Orme, like Contrapuntti. Will check all of them. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Very underrated album, I think. I quite like that "sophisticated jazz-pop versus folk" sound that they envision here. I dunno, have you heard their countrymen Libra, both of whose records (Musica e Parole and the mostly all-instrumental Shock) are vaguely in the same vein? Or perhaps the Samadhi album? You'd might also enjoy Fabrizio de Andre's highly regarded Creuza de Ma release from 1984, in which he's paired up with Mauro Pagani of PFM; it's generally considered one of the finest Italian pop/rock/folk albums ever made.

You'd probably also enjoy some of the big Argentinian acts of the day, like Seru Giran (with Charly Garcia) or Spinetta Jade(with Luis Alberto Spinetta), both of whom are considered near-mythical down there. The extremely refined mixture of relatively intricate pop/rock with folk and jazz elements could very well be just up your alley.
    Creuza de Ma?? that sounds just about the thing I am looking for. I dont know why, I am beggining to love those pop sensibilities of italian singers, and that might be just what I am looking for!!

I've always been meaning to check Libra, and i think it just might be the time too.

Seru Giran and Spinetta I already own and love very much, along with my Sui Generis records!!

Thank you very much for the recommendations!! the amount of knowledge you people posess is the main reason I love progressive ears!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I dunno, have you heard their countrymen Libra, both of whose records (Musica e Parole and the mostly all-instrumental Shock) are vaguely in the same vein?
    They have three albums, Winter Days Nightmare being the second. And I was led to believe that Shock was a more Goblin-esque album (being an instrumental movie soundtrack to a horror film and all).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Canto di Primavera and Passpartu are among my favorite albums as well.

I agree with the Samadhi, Libra, and Seru Giran recommendations, and I'll add:

Stradaperta- Maida Vale
    de Andre's classic early 1970's works (La Buona Novella, Non al denaro, and Storia di un impiegato)
    Blocco Mentale- Poa
    Le Orme- Verita Nascoste
    Bacamarte- Depois do Fim (Brazil)
    Crack- Si Todo Hiciera (Spain)

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    Canto di Primavera and Passpartu are among my favorite albums as well.

I agree with the Samadhi, Libra, and Seru Giran recommendations, and I'll add:

Stradaperta- Maida Vale
    de Andre's classic early 1970's works (La Buona Novella, Non al denaro, and Storia di un impiegato)
    Blocco Mentale- Poa
    Le Orme- Verita Nascoste
    Bacamarte- Depois do Fim (Brazil)
    Crack- Si Todo Hiciera (Spain)
    Thank you very very much!!!

I love all the Banco stuff, because whatever the style and production, PASSION is always the main ingredient!

Released in 1979 this is a very solid album with sax, trumpet, clavinet, bouzouki, harmonica adding some nice flavours to their sound. Just don't expect the power of their first three albums, this is more subtle.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I like it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

CdP was actually my first Banco album. It's not as adventurous as earlier albums, but I've always considered it to be of extremely high quality. And there are two BEAUTIFUL songs here: "Niente" and "E Mi Viene Da Pensare". I have no idea what the lyrics say ( ), but the melodies are SUBLIME!

For reference:

"I tah dah nur!" - Ike

One of my fave banco albums