Thread: Rate the IKEA Catalog from Ä to Ë

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Rate the IKEA Catalog from Ä to Ë

I'm sorry, I cannot rate the catalog, due to my lack of success at actually completing one of their hobbyist "furniture" construction projects. This is largely due to the incomprehensible instructions, of course. Besides which, in order to successfully rate the catalog, you have to see every piece of furniture in there...oh, wait! That's easy--because IT'S THE ONLY WAY YOU'LL EVER GET OUT OF THE FRIGGIN' STORE is to follow the twisty wind-y path to the exit. The hot dogs are pretty good, though..and cheap!

I have heard many people complain about how impossible the furniture is to assemble, and how much the instructions suck. Being a person who has frequented IKEA for a while, I have no idea what people are talking about. Either I am an IKEA wizard, or these people have problems making ice cubes. ;p

Now Sauder furniture instructions, that is some freaky shit!

I haven't had any trouble assembling the few fairly simple things I've purchased, but I have experienced the stupid twisty wind-y path. A hot dot and coffee for $1.50 total, though:

Suspended
    IKEA?

I liked some of their early stuff. they lost me when they went mainstream.

Their most enduring song is, of course, "Let's put It All Together".

I haven't seen all of them, but I'll rate the ones I remember

95 - B-
    99 - B
    02 - B+ (I actually bought something that year)
    06 - C
    09 - C-
    12 - D- (too much plastic garbage)

hope that helps
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Actually, this got a smile from me...

I haven't had any trouble assembling the few fairly simple things I've purchased, but I have experienced the stupid twisty wind-y path. A hot dot and coffee for $1.50 total, though:
    Never experienced an assembly problem... Always seemed straightforward to me

And I tend to use the shortcuts in the Ikea maze
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Only one product line I've purchased.
    Algot laundry carts with removeable baskets
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49907958/
    These are ideal for fulfillment warehouses that specialize in small, lightweight products. My company has 8 of these with casters and the tight weave metal baskets.
    Only reason I would purchase from this company. As far as I am concerned, their stores are a death trap. Icringe at the thought of there ever being a fire in one of these stores.

I always found IKEA the simplest to assemble with the easiest to follow instructions. And people pay me to assemble stuff amoung other things, so I've seen many examples. Some other brands assembly instructions were obviously drawn up by people for whom English is not their first or best language.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, for most items the construction and instructions make a lot of sense. Sometimes you have to study them for a few minutes to unveil the logic.

It's those meatballs with gravy and lingonberry jam that are the best food though.

The Gutvik children beds caused some uproar in Germany, cause spoken (though spelled differently) it means Good Fuck in German.

The only things I've ever bought from them is solid wood stuff... No way I'd ever take in those wiood)derivates products or any plastic stuff of theirs (outside vthose long shoehorns at 1.00/piece, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's those meatballs with gravy and lingonberry jam that are the best food though.

MMMhhhh...... In Europe, the Swedish food (and Scandinavian in general) is considered even worse than Dutch or English food (both are making progress, unlike Up North)

Ikea food is generally considered almost dangerous for gastronomy... and in some cases, the face charges for dumping prices, by selling under cost (counting on the profits from furniture sales to compensate)

Suspended
    How did this progress to a discussion about food?

There's plenty of furniture that I have wished that assembled as easily as IKEA but I guess everyone's mileage varies. And oh, the pancakes are to die for.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    post #2

Have bought many IKEA pieces, but less and less pieces made with solid wood these days..Great food , such as 50 cent all beef hot dogs, $ 4 for a sixer of cinnamon rolls and always free coffee with a Ikea Family Card..

Overall rating, 98 %..

IKEA?

I liked some of their early stuff. they lost me when they went mainstream.

Their most enduring song is, of course, "Let's put It All Together".
    I'm particularly fond of "Bits & Pieces."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My favorite is "where does this go?"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    post #2
    Oh, I see. Never having been inside an IKEA store, i was unaware that they sold comestibles. Silly me, I thought it was a furniture store.

Oh, I see. Never having been inside an IKEA store, i was unaware that they sold comestibles. Silly me, I thought it was a furniture store.
    There's a small food department and a cafe on the way out.
    I usually pick up a bag of salty licorice when I'm there.
    '

Hey, anything for commerce, right? They provide food and drinks so you can shop longer

Actually, the food shop is after the cashier, next to the exit, features mainly Swedish products (I exagerated, some of it is actually edible)... The cafetarias are generally halfway through the whole parcours, with a kids sections (not exactly a McDo playland, but in that direction)

Suspended
    There's a small food department and a cafe on the way out.
    I usually pick up a bag of salty licorice when I'm there.
    '
    Are we talking about one particular IKEA outlet, or os this a universal property of IKEA stores worldwide?

Also, is the licorice already made up for you, or do you have to put it together yourself with the aid of an instruction manual?

Are we talking about one particular IKEA outlet, or is this a universal property of IKEA stores worldwide?
    Been to Ikeas in Belgium, Holland and France, they seem to be all built on the same pattern...
    Now across the pond, I don't know (I vaguely remember a visit to one store in Canada, but that was as a teen)

Are we talking about one particular IKEA outlet, or os this a universal property of IKEA stores worldwide?
    Presumably the latter.
    Also, is the licorice already made up for you, or do you have to put it together yourself with the aid of an instruction manual?
    I had to take the pieces out of the bag.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Ikea Swedish meatballs are to die for

And I never bought furniture there. Bought a bunch of utensils and kitchen gadgets because a) they were cheap, b) the seemed well made, and c) I got tired of using the same tiny tongs and unwieldy ladle and using a potato peeler to zest food in my parents' kitchen...
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-09-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: there's a reason suicide is high in Scandinavia....
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"