Thread: Article on vinyl collecting

That was really great. Lots of cool stories. I'm dying reading about the guy who found the old 78s and bought 2000 of them for a hundred bucks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Awesome. I guess my weakness is a strength afterall. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Me, too. I can almost see a picture of me in that article with my 100-plus Beatles albums spread across the floor.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My weakness is a strength--it's all in perspective.

Top 10: Most Bizarre Records

http://preservedinwax.com/2015/03/03...re-records/?=v

Didn't really know what thread to post this in.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Knew you would turn up here. Break out your viny, I promise it won't hurt. Good read.
    The older I get, the better I was.

A contact I have in a very cheap charity shop puts rare 78s aside for me, last time he blew me away when he presented me with an original example of King Edward VII's Farewell Speech,1936 on the Brunswick label, which I bought for the ridiculously low price of 1 euro!

Yesterday, he went waaaaaay further, he came out from the backroom storeroom, into the large busy shop, saw me amongst those going through the record crates, full of run-of-the-mill vinyl lps and classical and jazz 78s, and said, "Ah there you are, I've got something for you" He went back into the storerorom and came out a couple of minutes later, and said "Are these of any interest to you?"

And what he presented to me in their original cardboard 10" sleeves, with advertising, was two original shellac 78s from the 1920s entitled simply "Folk Song Suite parts 1_4" - Ralph Vaughan Williams!!!!!

To say I was gobsmacked, flabberghasted and dropped everything I was doing to inspect them would be an understatement.

He was happy I was pleased and said "Yea, I thought they might be your cup of tea"

Which I bought again for the stupid price of 1 euro each!

I've told him, if I ever sell any of the rare stuff he gets for me, he's in for 50% of the profit.
    Last edited by PeterG; 03-10-2015 at 04:14 PM.

I inherited about 30 old WWII-era dance 78s from my parents and some earlier stuff, including an original Caruso. Unfortunately they're all beat to shit.