Aug-7 Thu Grand Rapids, MI The Intersection
    Aug-8 Fri Evanston, IL S.P.A.C.E.
    Aug-10 Sun Minneapolis, MN Cedar Sun
    Aug-12 Tue Kansas City, MO Knuckleheads
    Aug-13 Wed Omaha, NE The Waiting Room
    Aug-14 Thu Fort Collins, CO Aggie Theatre
    Aug-15 Fri Boulder, CO Fox Theatre
    Aug-16 Sat Denver, CO Bluebird Theater

there are dates further out but not on the website. Annapolis 11/19.

I will be at the Grand Rapids show.

They are playing in New Hampshire in November but the show is already sold out! I was really hoping to see them.

Mike Stern was the first real jazz musician I ever saw live. I went into NYC to the Blue Note to check out his band in the mid '90s and he blew me away. I got him to autograph my napkin (which had a piece of gum stuck between it, if I recall correctly...I know, the glamorous life of professional jazz musicians!). Although I've fallen away from his music over the years, he was a huge influence on me as a young guitarist. His Standards album is still essential listening, IMHO.

I also saw Eric Johnson once before, at the Middle East in Cambridge probably around 2000-2001. An absolutely world-class talent.

NP: The Beatles s/t

Sounds interesting. Is this a show where the 2 are together the whole time or separate bands and big jam at the end ala SRV/Jeff Beck?

I got tix yesterday for Annapolis in Nov. Have seen Eric in about 25 years so really looking forward to it. I don't know if they are just doing a duo or a full band though. Doesn't really matter to me as both guys are amazing.
    But I still like Eric's first recording the best.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Just found this video clip on Mike Sterns website:

JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    But I still like Eric's first recording the best.
    If we're talking Tones i agree. I had gradually lost interest after that.
    I recently listened to an Electromangets cd and it sounded so dated i couldn't make it through the whole thing.

Are they still milking this teat?
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Believe it or not, the best Eric Johnson album isn't an album, but a VHS tape /DVD.

His first "Complete Electric Guitar" instructional tape has ridiculous jaw dropping guitar playing in dozens of different styles/techniques.

Check it out on YouTube.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Isnt he somewhere between Steve Morse and Shawn Lane - just not as good or original?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Isnt he somewhere between Steve Morse and Shawn Lane - just not as good or original?
    I don't know Shawn Lane, but Eric's tone is awesome. This Austin City Limits performance is on DVD and my favorite :

Last edited by Firth; 06-05-2014 at 06:46 AM.

If you dont know Shawn Lane (RIP) do yourself a favour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTVGi...tu.be&t=51m30s
    This album is from his more jazzy period, earlier stuff is more rockorientated. His instructional videos are jawdropping.
    Not that its what its all about, but I dont think anư guitarist ever played that fast (and still meningfull).

Here is a German guy also with a great sense of melody and tone Ali Neander (The bassplayer is Hellmut Hattler from Kraan)

Check out Return of the folk hair rebel https://myspace.com/alineander/music/songs

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Believe it or not, the best Eric Johnson album isn't an album, but a VHS tape /DVD.

His first "Complete Electric Guitar" instructional tape has ridiculous jaw dropping guitar playing in dozens of different styles/techniques.
    I used to have it on VHS and I agree, it was more impressive than his recorded output. He really knows a lot about playing guitar. Unfortunately, his tunes don't do much for me, with a few exceptions. When I saw him live in the '80s, I enjoyed his Hendrix covers more than his own stuff.

Not exactly; I'd say all three have their own styles. Eric doesn't have the kind of mega-chops that Steve has and Shawn had few peers in that department.

If you dont know Shawn Lane (RIP) do yourself a favour
    Yeah, he was a super accomplished guitar player and like Mike Keneally, he was as good on keyboards as he was on guitar.

BTW, I saw Mike Stern live last fall. He sounded really good, but I was more impressed with his bass player, Tom Kennedy, who was pretty amazing.

Stern and Johnson are kind of an odd pairing; Stern is more of a jazz player who dabbles in rock and Johnson is sort of the opposite.

Tom Kennedy was Bill Connors bassplayer on the 3 albums in Holdsy-style - he is definetely amazing !

Tom Kennedy was Bill Connors bassplayer on the 3 albums in Holdsy-style - he is definetely amazing !
    I know that! What I didn't know until I saw him last fall was that he's a great upright bass player too; he switched between it and electric all night. Great chops, great groove, musicality... a very underrated player!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    If we're talking Tones i agree.
    Yeah, Tones. Much less pyrotechnics than the material afterward, but some of the best compositions I've heard. Much more jazz rock with a bluesy feel. The mastering could have been much better though.
    One of my favorite CDs.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Nah, they're all different.

SL is the fastest, but I could never get into him.

SM is the best writer, especially on the six Dixie Dregs albums.

And EJ has the best Strat tones, second only to Mike Landau.
    Last edited by nosebone; 06-05-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Banned
    If you dont know Shawn Lane (RIP) do yourself a favour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTVGi...tu.be&t=51m30s
    This album is from his more jazzy period, earlier stuff is more rockorientated. His instructional videos are jawdropping.
    Not that its what its all about, but I dont think anư guitarist ever played that fast (and still meningfull).
    I didn't care for that type of distorted sound, Eric's sound is 100% analog. Lane's sound has that digital thrash which comes from limiting or digital effects. Pete Townsend sounds as if he is resorting it too.

This is now coming to the Keswick Theater on Nov. 8. I love Johnson, but know nothing about Stern.

Any recommendations?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is now coming to the Keswick Theater on Nov. 8. I love Johnson, but know nothing about Stern.

Any recommendations?
    Is What It Is

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Any recommendations?
    If you've heard one Mike Stern album, then you've heard them all imo.

Great player live, but redundant studio work.

And EJ has the best Strat tones, second only to Mike Landau.
    I respectfully disagree, the best Strat tones are found on this record right here

If you've heard one Mike Stern album, then you've heard them all imo.
    Well, it's sorta true, but you could say that about a lot of artists. I think Stern writes some really nice tunes. There's the more angular stuff like the example Ed (Shadow) posted above, but there's some very melodic ones too. I feel that his playing gets predictable quicker than his writing does. Not intended as a "diss;" he's very good at both. But it does all sound kind of samey after a couple of albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Is What It Is

Man, thank you so much for posting that. I had Is What It Is on cassette when I was in high school and that track you posted, "Ha Ha Hotel," was my favorite song. I haven't listened to that in probably fifteen years. What a blast from the past. There is a whole bunch of little guitar things that Stern does on that track that I just realize now I've totally stolen from him. I love the way the guitar and bass drop out at the beginning of the sax solo. Great head to that tune. Funky as ^&#$.

Wow. Time flies.

NP: Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night