Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek XI Into Darkness Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Check this out. (spoiler)
    Yeah, I think we know already. A small ****** spoiler alert *******

Gary Lockwood is back!

I thought he died, but he's back.

My wife (who is a Trekker but a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch) watched the trailer. I just want to say that her response was unwholesome and I'm afraid she's not going to be rooting for Kirk and Spock this time around.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    There's only one Khan. He's Mexican . And he's dead .... Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife (who is a Trekker but a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch) watched the trailer. I just want to say that her response was unwholesome and I'm afraid she's not going to be rooting for Kirk and Spock this time around.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I don't know how to feel about this one. I've been a Trek fan since childhood, but I still haven't made my mind up about the last one. Sure, it was entertaining and fun, but in no way did it replace the original.

I don't think it was intended to replace the original.

More a way to "reboot" (man, I'm really getting sick of that term) the characters and starship to keep the story (and cash cow) going.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I hear you. I enjoyed it, believe me, but I'm not sure if all of the explosions and lense flares are really what Roddenberry saw in his vision of the perfect future.

I just saw this last night and it wasn't bad. It might not fly that well with the purists though. I was able to enjoy it simply as an action movie set in space.

I know who the villain is.

But won't say cause it may cause me a lot of grief.

The reviews so far have been all very positive.

May catch it this weekend because they play the trailer to Enders Game.

D t B

Saw it yesterday. It's a lot of fun. Abrams is not a Trek fan and has made a movie for people who do not necessarily come from that place. I like the casting and, other than the overuse of fisticuffs, it holds up.

When I saw the first scene I thought it was something I'd expect more in a Star Wars movie....but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Just saw it. I can see where purists would be upset but there are a few references in there that fans would love. I think in fact, there may be a little too much fan service here. As usual, JJ Abrams disdain for the laws of physics and logic are evident but he pretty much puts the pedal to the floor and holds it there. I was entertained. But the more I think about it the more distant I get...
    Last edited by Jerjo; 05-17-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think it's visually stunning and the actors do a great job with those iconic roles. I have story issues. I think the writers were a bit lazy. I like the last movie better than this one. It's not terrible and I enjoyed it, but I think Abrams and Co. missed an opportunity.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    When I saw the first scene I thought it was something I'd expect more in a Star Wars movie....but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    Maybe it was practice considering Abrams will be doing the new Star Wars...lol.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I think it's visually stunning and the actors do a great job with those iconic roles. I have story issues. I think the writers were a bit lazy. I like the last movie better than this one. It's not terrible and I enjoyed it, but I think Abrams and Co. missed an opportunity.

Bill
    I think it's great fun, full of action and stunning effects. Even some of the twists and turns are acceptable, even if ultimately a bit forced. The last 20 minutes leaves me a bit wanting or disappointed and I agree it got a bit lazy.

I think the first movie though had so many shocks in it (first and foremost the destruction of Vulcan) that it's hard to live up to that.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I agree for the most part, I thought Into Darkness was better than the previous movie, and indeed it was visually stunning, and the actors play the roles really well (especially Simon Pegg!).

But.....but.......*nerdrages* ... you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post

Bill
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Saw it today. Not bad- lots of good things I can say about it but they broke the cardinal rule: You never, ever reference a great movie unless yours is going to beat it. Otherwise you just have an audience going, oh yeah, we could be watching THAT right now! And in this case that meant epic fail.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    They really did a good job fooling us (well, me, anyway) with the trailers.

I saw it in IMAX 3D over the weekend and really liked it. I thought it was much better than the 2009 movie. Some of the stunt towards the end got a bit ridiculous, but other than that I thought it was a pretty damn good movie.

Steve Sly

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Weird that the very open-ended titled Star Wars thread (Thinking About Star Wars) was locked, but not this thread, which is so specific (about a single Star Trek poster).

But I'm going to use it to think about Star Wars for one more post! Hah!

So if R2 recorded the holographic message, and you could walk around it while it was playing and view it from any angle, how did R2 record the view from behind Leia, looking at her back? Remember, this was in some random part of a spaceship that was under attack, not in some holographic recording booth with cameras all around or whatnot.

It's funny how holograms look so incredibly cheesy now, but when I was a kid there was a Museum of Holography in NYC and we thought it was the coolest! Holograms were going to be the future photography, video, etc. back then.

That's how!!

It was okay. Thought the "big three" did alright representing their characters especially Karl Urban. I was disappointed in the supporting characters especially Scotty and Sulu. They used Scotty for comic relief and is kind of wimp. Sulu is just extra baggage. The trek across the ships in spacesuits scene was way too long. The story overall was decent in my book for an alternate universe type of thing. All in all pretty much on par with the Avengers saw it don't really want to go back there anytime soon.