Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Steve has a whole big story thing worked out again.
    Whew, I was gonna say, it ain't bombastic unless you have a longass poem everyone pretends to read...

Wow, pretty bizarre this got bumped today because I wrote the first bits today on a project we hope will equal IS in terms of pretentiousness, emotion and overall bombast! The next one is a "go big or go home" album. Steve has a whole big story thing worked out again.
    [Mr. Burns]Exxxxxxcellent...[/Mr. Burns]
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I love the IS - Great album and one which I don't think the bad have managed to equal.

Just realized that Glass Hammer don't have a song that tops the 25-minute mark...what's up with that??
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Well, in our mind Perilou is a single piece so if you count that we do. Also, Court of Akanoos is pretty close to that.

Court of Akanoos is pretty close to that.
    I looked that up when I saw that post, and it's a mere 21 minutes. Nothing more than a little ditty, really.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I looked that up when I saw that post, and it's a mere 21 minutes. Nothing more than a little ditty, really.
    Huh, well ok then. Knight Of The North may be the official longest track in that case. I think live it's topped 25 minutes.

Huh, well ok then. Knight Of The North may be the official longest track in that case. I think live it's topped 25 minutes.
    24:39 on the studio version. Damn, if only you guys had added an ambient intro.

Three favorite Glass Hammer LP's:

1) The Inconsolable Secret
    2) If
    3) Perilous

I can listen to those all day, every day.

(And the new one's damned good too.)
    The Prog Corner

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    On the other hand, the Lay of Azrael or whatever the heck it is is a ponderous tome of Gargantuan length.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    On the other hand, the Lay of Azrael or whatever the heck it is is a ponderous tome of Gargantuan length.
    The Lay Of Lirazel

You can grab it at amazon or on the Glass Hammer website. Audio book on audible too. E-book as well.

I love ordering off the GH site. Its the only way you really know your fundage is really going to the band. This has become my life's mission. To go broke keeping Glass Hammer in style. Enjoy the Champagne and Caviar boys! Its all good... I will just nibble on some moldy bread crust and sip from a nearby creek while I listen to your excellent tome.

Fred and Steve need to keep up those Porsche payments, huh?

Okay, I just got this album a couple weeks ago and have only made it through once. I fully intend to listen more, but a couple things I notice: 1. I"m not crazy about the drummer. 2. I'm not crazy about some of the vocals. The 2nd is a problem I seem to have with a lot of GH music. Which is why it took Jon Davison to really get me hooked. I also loved Chronomotree, because I liked that vocalist (though I've seen a lot of people who think using him was a mistake). Actually, it was Court of Akinoos that was the first track by GH I really loved. Still my favorite epic by them. That whole Odyssey album is great though, IMO. Also really like Cool Air as well.

My absolute favorite GH album so far is Perilous. I love the concept, the music, the lyrics, and the fact that the titles themselves make a poem. And of course as Fred mentions, that it's really a single piece of music.

All that said, I need to give TIS more time. I actually find it promising that I didn't fall in love with it on the first play though, as most of my favorite prog albums didn't click for me the first few times. I will say this though......I wish they would let Susie sing more! She is awesome.