Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Anglagard : Epilog

FEATURED CD - Anglagard : Epilog

Per 'metrognome' - on the old PE site:
    The two albums by Änglagård are so far the apotheosis of the new scene’s accomplishments." So said New Sonic Architecture’s Matthew Martens in the NSA catalog a few years ago. That was then, this is now. The new progressive rock scene he mentioned has lost much of its creative steam. Many of the new scene’s original movers and shakers have moved and shaken right out of existence or drastically decreased their output. And recent newcomers have made little lasting impact. One thing seems to remain true: even ten years after their arrival on (or should we say creation of?) the new prog scene, Änglagård’s contributions to the prog rock revival remain unequaled. It seems that no new band or artist has had more impact or become so legendary. Fueling the legend of Änglagård are the facts that the band broke up almost as quickly as it burst onto the scene and that the band’s two studio albums have been out of print for many of the last few years. Hybris was re-released a couple of years ago, but Epilog remains out of print and routinely commands nearly double its original price on Ebay only eight years after its release. How ironic it is that one of the best prog albums of the ‘90s revival is also among the hardest to obtain.

What makes Epilog magnificent is what so many of the ‘90s prog revivalist bands sought so hard to achieve: an almost perfect amalgamation of the old and the new. The most obvious aspect of the old is the use of authentic instrumentation that was common in prog’s heyday. Extensive use of Hammond organ and Mellotron as well as a lack of obviously modern guitar tones/effects and recording techniques help make Epilog sound like it could have been recorded in the 1970s. The sound is entirely authentic and vintage, yet without any sort of campy, contrived ‘70s vibe that is so often constructed for the sake of luring Generation X. On the other hand, however, Änglagård’s compositions seem just a bit more radical and uncompromising than what most of the major ‘70s prog acts ever did. Epilog sounds as if Änglagård takes up and continues on the progressive path near the point where so many of the classic bands left it. One could argue that Änglagård’s first album sounds fairly derivative of prog’s past, but Epilog finds the band in relatively new territory, treading unbeaten parts of the path Genesis and Yes never got to travel.

While Epilog is a remarkable album, it is not necessarily an easy listen. If Epilog has any flaw, it is the lack of "hooks" or catchy sections that the listener can easily look forward to. This is complex, ever shifting music that rarely stays in one place for very long. Epilog requires close attention for full enjoyment, but it can be difficult to devote such attention over the course of the whole album. It is easy to drift away mentally during the many sections of delicate guitar arpeggios and subdued Mellotron chords. These lulls, however, are often rudely broken by short violent outbursts that shake the listener back to attention.

When one can devote the attention Epilog deserves, the results are quite rewarding. One may find the album seems much more relevant in the fall or winter months, when the atmosphere outside seems to match perfectly with the somber, lonely mood that pervades the entire album.

Epilog is comprised of six all-instrumental tracks. The album begins with the two-minute "Prolog," which sets the tone for the entire album quite well. It begins with a quavering, diaphanous melody on solo Mellotron. Then the entire band restates the same melody with increased drama and vigor. The effect is melancholy, yet powerful. "Saknadens Fulhet" serves as the opposite bookend of the album. Like "Prolog," it is exactly two minutes long, but it is a poignant piece for solo piano. Its effect is bittersweet and ends the album on a somewhat uncertain, unfinished note.

In between these two pieces are three very long tracks - the meat of the album - and a peculiar 14-second track of barely audible ambient noise. The three long tracks are all wondrous, massive studies in contrast. It is in the stark, sometimes jarring contrasts between light and dark, loud and soft, masculine and feminine that one can most easily see the often-cited influence of early King Crimson. The instrumentation and melodies, however, usually speak of early Genesis. This is especially true in the beautiful flute and acoustic guitar passages.

In almost every way, Epilog is a much more mature, "serious" sounding album than Hybris. A string quartet augments the band on much of the album, lending a strong baroque feel to the music. It should be no surprise that several of the members of Änglagård pursued classical music studies after the band broke up. It must have seemed like the only logical direction for them after recording rock albums of such complexity and quality.

Epilog is not music for parties or for trips to the grocery store. This album is like a fine wine. It should be brought out only on occasions when one can sit down and quietly savor the artistry and quality of this masterpiece. - SH

Regards,

Duncan

chalkpie
    Masterwork.

Suspended
    Is it my imagination, or is there intended to be a hidden face in that cover photo?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Is it my imagination, or is there intended to be a hidden face in that cover photo?
    I see a face too.

I have this album but to me the first two blur into each other. I like them both but I rarely play them. The vocals bug me a little. And for whatever reason, even though I'm not the type that pays attention to lyrics much, the songs being sung in Swedish makes it difficult to listen to repeatedley. But yes, great band, great music.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The authentic article if ever one was made.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    IMHO this is possibly the most overrated band in all of progdom. I get no emotional connection to their music whatsoever, just cold. I feel like they are held in such high regard mainly due to gear fetishization, especially the Mellotron, and their being nearly all instrumental means they can just deliver the kickin' seventies style jams without the burden of actually having to write a decent proper song, something at which their seventies forbears often excelled.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I agree with masterwork. Their music is mainly instrumental so I don't know why the vocals would bother anyone, particularly because the band is Swedish so the band has integrity and sings in their native tongue. Why should a band be forced to sing in English? The band has considerably originally even if you'd expect to hear this kind of music in the 1970s. If a loose comparison is made, I'd say Red era Crimson

I've been listening to their new Live album (there are minimal vocals), the music is very muscular and powerful but its balanced by more gentle music, including the use of flute. The band members remain humble and mild mannered but they know how to make a powerful musical statement. There live show at NF was among the best progressive rock shows I've ever seen.

I prefer Epilog to Hybris but they are both gems. Epilog has a more developed sound. There music reminds me of Anekdoten even through Vemod is a more direct nod to Red era Crimson.

chalkpie
    For those that heard this album once or twice 16 years ago, there are no vocals whatsoever.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    For those that heard this album once or twice 16 years ago, there are no vocals whatsoever.
    No vocals! I guess I mixed up the new live album that is almost exclusively instrumental but with a few vocal passages. I have listened to Epilog in the last month though.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-01-2014 at 05:33 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Me likey a lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Probably intentional. Their latest album cover is similar and even more obvious.

Anglagard is a great band. I've never owned their albums but I've heard a bit of their music over the years and have seen them live twice. One of the best things to happen to prog and one of the bands to reboot the genre.

Great album by a great band. I don't get the lack of songwriting comments - the writing on all three of their albums is as good as any of the 70's stuff for me.

I would say that this is my second favourite of theirs after Viljans Oga - though that is today, by tomorrow it might well be different.

The second of three masterpieces. I was blown away by Hybris when I first heard it about ten months after its release, so the wait for this one wasn't too long and I loved it too. "Sista Somrar" is just stunning.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great stuff! and the absence of obligatory, insipid "mountains come out of the sky" type Symph lyric drivel that often makes people cringe, one can enjoy the *music* even more!

I wish there were more Symph bands that didn't feel compelled to write stupid lyrics just for the sake of lyrics
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The greatest "traditional" prog album to come out of the 90s. And some of the best rock drumming ever committed to tape. This album has it all - beauty, emotion, suspense, grandeur and intimacy - and fantastic dynamics. Hats off to Epilog.

J.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    If it was meant to be hidden they did a bad job of it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    If it was meant to be hidden they did a bad job of it.
    LOL! I thought the same thing... pretty sure the face was the first thing I saw, but then it's been 20 years so I can't remember. If it makes anyone feel any better, I can't do those 3D art things at all.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Love it!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I wish there were more Symph bands that didn't feel compelled to write stupid lyrics just for the sake of lyrics
    Pretty much my sentiments as well
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    The greatest "traditional" prog album to come out of the 90s. And some of the best rock drumming ever committed to tape. This album has it all - beauty, emotion, suspense, grandeur and intimacy - and fantastic dynamics. Hats off to Epilog.

J.

What a statement, and I agree 100%. This is my favourite album from 1994 with Landberk's One Man Tell's Another number two. Those Swedes!
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

It’s my third-favourite Änglagård album but it’s still quite fine. Kind of a sophomore slump, but even lesser Ä is better than some bands’ A-material. (or is that Ä-material?) I don’t feel the connection with this that I do Hybris and Viljans öga*, probably because it feels a little less intense, with less drive. I guess they (briefly) wished to go in a more “ambient” direction. I guess I still have difficulty coming to terms with the slight change of direction with this album. The climax of “Höstsejd” is still one of their high points as a band.

*I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about Vö at first, but I’ve since decided it totally rules.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The eons are closing
    I have many friends who do not view these as masterpieces.
    Whether I would use that word or not, I find that i play all three discs regularly in casa mudshark.

Only crimson gets more rotation.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Pretty much my sentiments as well
    Ditto. But I'd apply it across the board...not just symph bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    LOL! I thought the same thing... pretty sure the face was the first thing I saw, but then it's been 20 years so I can't remember. If it makes anyone feel any better, I can't do those 3D art things at all.
    Ditto. Took me longer to realize there was a forest/tress surrounding the face, if I'm honest.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Ditto. Took me longer to realize there was a forest/tress surrounding the face, if I'm honest.
    I think it depends on how large you view the image. When I look at the thumbnail, the face is the first thing I see, especially if I stand well back from the screen. When I look at the full size image, which was the first one I looked at, I see a forest.