Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Harmony Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The book I have is called The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock, published by Harmony Books but without the word Harmony in the title, copyright 1976, "compiled" by Nick Logan and Bob Woffinden. It appears to be a completely different book from the version you describe. There's no snark or editorializing in the photo captions, for one thing; no Pete Frame family trees either.
    That's the one I have as well - a bible for me in the day.

Some of my favourite quotes:

'[Lou] Reed produced his finest work between 1967-70. In 1976 both his attitudes and his work seem redundant.'

'The acceptable face of rock? Certainly. The future of rock? [Mike] Oldfield leaves others to fight that out.'

'[Blood on the Tracks] reminded everyone that no one could be as compelling as Dylan. No one at all.'

Yes: 'Lyrically inaccessible and at worse banal, but on their night they could be often exciting and impressive.'

and this - sadly undermined by subsequent events:

'Inevitably he staged a comeback - in December 1976 - but even [Gary] Glitter's audience had to grow up one day.'

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

A link to a classic NME article about Jeff Beck in 1973

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ocks-backpages

I have two different versions of the book. An older one called The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock (Harmony/Salamander 1977) and the Harmony version from 1986. Before the net these books were my ticket to discovering new things. Lot's of little errors and lot's of excellent information.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life