Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Walker proclaims......Latte E Mielle / Passio Secundum (The Complete Work)

Greg Walker proclaims......Latte E Mielle / Passio Secundum (The Complete Work)

"Re-recording and reworking of their 1972 epic conceptual symphonic masterpiece which is in my opinion, the greatest progressive rock album ever made. The new version contains extra and extended tracks that fit right in with the original compositions and story line. Not only is this the album of the year but album of the 21st Century. If you only buy one CD this year, make sure this it!"

I think the fucker is right on all counts!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

I haven't heard the re-recording with the extra material, but I disagree that this is the greatest prog album ever made. I like some parts of it, but it's not even close IMO. I do tend to agree with Greg on many other bands/albums though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

chalkpie
    Listening to the original on YT right now. I like it so far, great Italian vibe.

I have both the old and new versions. The new is definitely worth the price of admission. Take the brilliant compositions of the old and amp them up by a factor of 11...that's the new. But if for no other reason, the more modern sound makes it doubtful I'll listen to the old version again.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    But if for no other reason, the more modern sound makes it doubtful I'll listen to the old version again.
    Wow. It would usually be the exact opposite for me.

This must really be something.

Guess I should take a listen for myself.

I've listened to some of the new version on Progstreaming and it sounds very interesting. Latte e Miele was one of the first Italian prog groups (other than Banco and PFM) that I got into in the late 80s, thanks to a sampler tape that Doug Larson sent me. They're also a group that has put out some interesting material in the later 2000s-era incarnation. I still listen to their 2008 album, "Marco Polo", on occasion. I'm going to have to buy this remake of Passio Secundum.

This was one of the bands that Greg had scheduled to play at the 2012 Farfest in Wilmington. I had really been looking forward to that; apparently there weren't enough people with the same level of interest. Oh well...

New version sounds pretty good, indeed.

Doubtful I'll ever listen to it again. Never really understood the appeal of the "re-recording/remake" concept. The original still slays even if I feel some folks overrate it to a point I can't even comprehend. Given the ages of the band members when they pulled it off, the original was a remarkable work. In fact, their first three albums are all excellent Italian prog/symph, IMO. I also enjoy that posthumous "Live" release that Mellow put out.

Musically it is excellent. I just can't stand hearing singing in a language I don't understand.

Never heard it, but might have to (Greg's comments had me intrigued when I received his newsletter). I think it would be tough to accept a new version if I'd become accustomed to (and had fallen in love with) an older version, no matter what the quality level. Seems like it would be equally hard to accept additional musical additions once I'd become set in my ways...
    <sig out of order>

Greg Walker has listed his top 100 prog albums but for now here's his top 20:

Anglagard – Epilog
    Balletto Di Bronzo, Il – YS
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
    Camel – Moonmadness
    Eloy – Floating
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Gentle Giant – Octopus
    Grobschnitt - Rockpommel's Land (or Solar Music Live)
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
    Latte E Miele - Passio Secundum Mattheum
    Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Pui
    Magma - Mekanik Destructiw Kommandoh
    Orme, Le - Felona E Sorona
    Pink Floyd – Animals
    Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico
    Pulsar – Halloween,
    Triana - same (a.k.a. El Patio)
    Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who I Am The Only One (or Pawn Hearts)
    Yes - Close To The Edge

That Latte E Miele album is very good indeed... but of course, every Prog fan would have a different list of 'top 20 Prog albums'. There are only two from Greg's list that would make my list... perhaps 3 if I narrowed my scope to 'only Symphonic Rock' style of Prog music.

I may get this new recorded version of Passio Secundum Mattheum though... sounds good
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 06-01-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Musically it is excellent. I just can't stand hearing singing in a language I don't understand.
    I am exact opposite since most of the lyrics of English singing prog bands are terribly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This was one of the bands that Greg had scheduled to play at the 2012 Farfest in Wilmington. I had really been looking forward to that; apparently there weren't enough people with the same level of interest. Oh well...
    I remember this being scheduled very close to the last Nearfest and financially it was not an option for many at the time. I would bet had that lineup been offered in 2013 or this year it would likely have brought out the progmasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I am exact opposite since most of the lyrics of English singing prog bands are terribly bad.
    it's funny cause it's TRUE!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    It's your loss. You're cutting yourself off from about 80% of the great music in this genre. Who gives a FRA about the lyrics, anyway?

Must admit, this makes me really interested in hearing this album. I've never listened to the original either.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    "Re-recording and reworking of their 1972 epic conceptual symphonic masterpiece which is in my opinion, the greatest progressive rock album ever made. The new version contains extra and extended tracks that fit right in with the original compositions and story line. Not only is this the album of the year but album of the 21st Century. If you only buy one CD this year, make sure this it!"

I think the fucker is right on all counts!

BG
    I know that you meant no harm using the word "fucker" but having said that I just want to say that Greg has been my prog vendor/friend since 1992 and it really bothered me to see him referred to like that. I usually don't use the word online in the first place but since Greg is my friend it upset me.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Greg Walker has listed his top 100 prog albums but for now here's his top 20:

Anglagard – Epilog
    Balletto Di Bronzo, Il – YS
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero
    Camel – Moonmadness
    Eloy – Floating
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Gentle Giant – Octopus
    Grobschnitt - Rockpommel's Land (or Solar Music Live)
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
    Latte E Miele - Passio Secundum Mattheum
    Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Pui
    Magma - Mekanik Destructiw Kommandoh
    Orme, Le - Felona E Sorona
    Pink Floyd – Animals
    Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico
    Pulsar – Halloween,
    Triana - same (a.k.a. El Patio)
    Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He Who I Am The Only One (or Pawn Hearts)
    Yes - Close To The Edge
    This list is in alphabetical order,so how could these be his top 20 prog albums?

It's not impossible.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I know that you meant no harm using the word "fucker" but having said that I just want to say that Greg has been my prog vendor/friend since 1992 and it really bothered me to see him referred to like that. I usually don't use the word online in the first place but since Greg is my friend it upset me.
    "I know that you meant no harm using the word "

This^

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    This list is in alphabetical order,so how could these be his top 20 prog albums?
    Knowing what I know of Greg's taste and his "stated favorites" throughout the years, it's completely possible as his calling card choices all are within the list

BG

It simply requires that his top 20 be alphabetized separately from his top 100...not sure why that's outta the realm of credibility.
    <sig out of order>

I find it hard top believe there's not a single ELP record in his top 20

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It simply requires that his top 20 be alphabetized separately from his top 100...not sure why that's outta the realm of credibility.
    He should have sorted them by country.