Thread: Hotel California solo

Hotel California solo

Years ago I swear I saw a live eagles clip(full band not the 90's rehash) where the HC solo was traded back and forth every 8 bars, culminating with the harmonized coda.
    I'm sure the recorded version isn't a trade off, but it was interesting to see it done that way.
    Who plays the solo on the record? I assumed it was Walsh, but don't know for sure.
    Does anybody remember this video clip?

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Years ago I swear I saw a live eagles clip(full band not the 90's rehash) where the HC solo was traded back and forth every 8 bars, culminating with the harmonized coda.
    I'm sure the recorded version isn't a trade off, but it was interesting to see it done that way.
    Who plays the solo on the record? I assumed it was Walsh, but don't know for sure.
    Does anybody remember this video clip?

You remember correctly, though I don't know why "you're sure the recorded version isn't a trade-off" - it is, between Felder and Walsh, just like the video.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Never new this song was plaigarised from Jethro Tull ¿

The chord progression is so obvious they may have just copped it unknowingly. Felder wrote the whole solo. It seems like a trade and he demoed playing 1/2 the licks in a style he thought Joe would play. When it came time to record it for real they went toe to toe in the studio and traded solos. Don Henly walked in and said "That's not like the demo. You need to play that, it was perfect". So Don had his housekeeper find the cassette and played it over the phone to them until they had the whole solo like it was on the demo. Not sure if Joe did the Joe parts or if Don did them all.

Isolated

Here is the guitar solo that was recorded in-studio:

http://www.studiogruno.com/pe_eagles/eagles_hc_solo.mp3