Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Artists you thought you'd NEVER see together

Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    Daryl Hall and Robert Fripp
    The insane part is that Daryl apparently wanted to work with Fripp after hearing Larks Tongues In Aspic. Or at least, that's what he said before showing the Beat Club version of Larks Tongues 1 when guest hosting on MTV, circa 1986. He said that was the track that made him want to work with Fripp, but "hearing it now, I can't remember why".

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The insane part is that Daryl apparently wanted to work with Fripp after hearing Larks Tongues In Aspic.
    But secretly, Fripp really wanted to work with...

Quote Originally Posted by yeselpkrimson View Post
    But secretly, Fripp really wanted to work with...

I wonder what TV appearance that clip is from. Interesting to see a photo of Fripp wearing jeans. We usually see him dressed like a mob lawyer.

yeselpkrimson
    I wonder what TV appearance that clip is from. Interesting to see a photo of Fripp wearing jeans. We usually see him dressed like a mob lawyer.
    Saturday Night Live, May 19, 1979. On the actual broadcast, Fripp was in shadow except for his guitar & Revox (watch at about 2:00-2:06 or so):

Saturday Night Live, May 19, 1979. On the actual broadcast, Fripp was in shadow except for his guitar & Revox (watch at about 2:00-2:06 or so):

That would explain the rather familiar looking gentleman with the glasses on in the background center of the photo (yes, I know who it is, I haven't watched Letterman for 28 years for nothing, ya know).

yeselpkrimson
    That would explain the rather familiar looking gentleman with the glasses on in the background center of the photo (yes, I know who it is, I haven't watched Letterman for 28 years for nothing, ya know).
    Do you also know Fripp's connection to this particular song that Phoebe & Linda were covering? Actually, the answer might qualify as another "artists you thought you'd never see together" moment.

Do you also know Fripp's connection to this particular song that Phoebe & Linda were covering? Actually, the answer might qualify as another "artists you thought you'd never see together" moment.
    Haven't a clue, unless it has something to do with that Roches record that Fripp produced.

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    How about Kylie on Doctor Who? Yeah, I know she was a soap opera actress before she was a singer, but there's a big gap from a cheap crap Aussie soap opera and Doctor Who. Or maybe not. (shrug)

yeselpkrimson
    Haven't a clue, unless it has something to do with that Roches record that Fripp produced.
    Yes, he played guitar on and produced the original Roches song. He even brought in Tony Levin and Larry Fast to record that album (as well as Tony & Bill Bruford for their 3rd album.)

How all that got him connected to appearing live with Phoebe Snow & Linda Ronstadt, I still really don't know.

Howard Werth and The Doors.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Lindsey Buckingham and Andy Ward?

Actually, maybe not so odd, since Peter Bardens used to jam with Mick and John.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

yeselpkrimson
    Interesting to see a photo of Fripp wearing jeans. We usually see him dressed like a mob lawyer.
    The mob lawyer today, with the entire mob:

The mob lawyer today, with the entire mob:

"Let's go get a taco."