Page 1 of 16 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: White Lion And Other '80s Hair Metal

Banned

White Lion And Other '80s Hair Metal

I recently acquired a copy Mane Attraction, which was the last album from the classic White Lion lineup. Who likes this album, this band, or other '80s "hair metal"?

I rather fancy the genre.

Banned
    Zebra rocks.

Really liked White Lion. Vito Bratta was the real deal.

But I never went "too deep" into the hair metal thing. I liked Night Ranger, Extreme, and a few others, but there always had to be some musicianship there.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I could maybe still listen to Zebra or Tesla, but by the mid-80s, hair metal was crap. That first G-n-R album was killer, but then again, it really wasn't hair metal.
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I could maybe still listen to Zebra or Tesla, but by the mid-80s, hair metal was crap. That first G-n-R album was killer, but then again, it really wasn't hair metal.
    Pah! From '85-'89 hair metal was at it's peak!

'Hair metal' is just a label that lumps in metal bands with a glam image all together. From that period I like Dokken, their Tooth and Nail album is pretty good. Twisted Sister was the first 'heavy' band I got into. I still think Stay Hungry is a classic album. I also enjoy Quiet Riot - Mental Health. I see Great White listed as Hair Metal too — they also had a string of good albums. Night Ranger - Seven Wishes album is good too.

Oh, and I'm an unashamed Vixen fan. They rock and are totally hot!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Really liked White Lion. Vito Bratta was the real deal.

But I never went "too deep" into the hair metal thing. I liked Night Ranger, Extreme, and a few others, but there always had to be some musicianship there.
    Good to know. I had been wanting to get some White Lion cause I remember liking the tapes I had of them when I was little; I had all three of their major label albums. It's a shame that White Lion didn't do so well with Big Game, because they tackled serious issues on that one. I found a used cd copy of Maine Attraction, so I decided to get it. Warsong is my fave WL song, I rediscovered Broken Heart thanks to American Idol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't think that neither Zebra or Tesla were hair metal. Zebra was the bastard son from a love affair between Zepplin, Yes, Rush, and The Who. Telsa(like Cinderella) was a '80s rock version of '70s blues-rock.
    Last edited by JIF; 08-25-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Oh, and I'm an unashamed Vixen fan. They rock and are totally hot!
    I remember watching Bands Reunited on VH1 and thinking that bassist Share Pederson still looked hot.

First of all, if we're gonna discuss the genre, let's at least not use a derogatory term to describe. I personally prefer "glam metal", but hey, they're all just labels that have nothing to do with music, right? And I certainly don't think it's fair lump good bands like Zebra, Y&T, Night Ranger, and maybe even White Lion in with the likes of Poison (who had a few decent songs on their first album, but after that..., Warrant, and Firehouse. If you're gonna call Night Ranger and Zebra "hair metal" or "glam metal" or whatever, you might as also lump in Van Halen, because they were the originators of that whole type of image (well, except for Black Oak Arkansas).

I'm apparently the only person on the planet who likes the second Zebra album, No Tellin' Lies better than the first. It's absolutely a crime that this band wasn't bigger. Randy Jackson was one of the best hard rock songwriters during that period, and he's a supremely talented guitarist too. The third album, 3.V is another really sweet record.

Night Ranger, I only like the first three albums: Dawn Patrol, Midnight Madness, and Seven Wishes. Sister Christian is a good song with both a killer guitar solo and a stupid refrain. Personally, I thought Goodbye (which was on the next album) was a much better "power ballad" and featured another very sweet guitar solo from Brad Gillis during the ride out. I've got the fourth album, Big Life around her someplace, and I don't remember it being very good.

I still think Quiet Riot's Metal Health was a great album. Some good songs on that. That one had another great power ballad, Thunderbird, which most people don't even know exists. And if nothing else, they put me on them trail of the almighty Slade. I never did hear any of their other albums (nope, not even the two Randy Rhoads played on), I do think it was a bad idea for them to do Mama Weer All Crazee Now. I guess typically, the record company asks the band to "Write another single like your last hit", so I guess in this case it was "Why don't you guys go in and do another Slade song". It didn't help that an Irish band called Mama's Boys had also just released a cover (a much better one, too) of the same song.

I never had any of Dokken's album (shocking, I know), but I remember liking some of the songs I heard off those albums. I always thought Just Got Lucky, In My Dreams, and Tooth And Nail. And I kinda had a crush on Patricia Arquette, who was in the Dream Warriors video at the time.

As for White Lion, I remember liking Wait, but that was mainly because of the 12 string acoustic intro, and that cool guitar solo. There was another song off that album, I think it was called When The Children Cry, that was a very nice one too.

I also should mention Ratt, their another band where the first two or three albums had some good songs on it. And you gotta love any band that manages to rope Milton Berle into being in their videos. Actually, the tune I liked the best from them, I think was called Dance, which I liked because of the intro.

Y&T is another band worth mentioning. I don't have their earlier albums, but In Rock We Trust I think is a really cool album. And once again, there's a really sweet power ballad called This Time. I remember seeing the video for Don't Stop Running on MTV back in the day. And actually, thinking about it now, Summertime Girls wasn't that bad of a song either.

Oh, and talking about the girls in Vixen still being hot, I saw that Bands Reunited, and that was absolutely my thought when I saw Roxi Petrucci. When she sat down behind the drums and twirled a drumstick at the start of the song they showed them playing, it was like it was 1988 all over again.

Oh, and I also like some of the stuff on the first two Bon Jovi albums. I thought In And Out Of Love, Runaway, She Don't Know Me and Silent Night were all awesome songs, much better than the Desmond Child written dreck that propelled them to stardom on the third album.

Banned
    I think all three Zebra albums are great, almost equally. And even "Zebra IV" released a few years back has some great songs on it. I also agree Ratt was a cut above the rest of the bands of the era due to really having some great songs, lots and lots of great songs. That compilation from the 90's "Ratt N Roll" or something like that - every song on that album is huge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I think all three Zebra albums are great, almost equally. And even "Zebra IV" released a few years back has some great songs on it. I also agree Ratt was a cut above the rest of the bands of the era due to really having some great songs, lots and lots of great songs. That compilation from the 90's "Ratt N Roll" or something like that - every song on that album is huge.
    My favorite Ratt song is Nobody Rides For Free, which was on the Point Break soundtrack.

Not a big fan of this genre but when I hear Cinderella's "Gypsy Road" that big riff makes me smile.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The hair metal genre was so predictable in every way, shape & form.

I always thought Van Halen kick started the sound & image, but aside from VH and the first two David Lee Roth albums with Steve Vai, I don't care if I ever hear or more importantly see that stuff ever again.

Just about every single guitarist from that era shamlessly ripped off EVH 's bag o' tricks.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm apparently the only person on the planet who likes the second Zebra album, No Tellin' Lies better than the first. It's absolutely a crime that this band wasn't bigger. Randy Jackson was one of the best hard rock songwriters during that period, and he's a supremely talented guitarist too. The third album, 3.V is another really sweet record.
    NTL is great. I love the title track, "Bears," "Wait Until The Summer's Gone," "But No More." 3.V is overproduced but "Making You The Fool" is awesome. I only like the first two songs from IV.

The KBFH live disc is killer. Yeah, they should have been bigger. They did clock the fast-selling debut in Atlantic's release history for the first album, but I don't know what happened after that.

I never had any of Dokken's album (shocking, I know), but I remember liking some of the songs I heard off those albums.
    Now you can buy just one CD and have most of them. From Conception is a live show from '82. Great flashback disc.

Y&T is another band worth mentioning. I don't have their earlier albums, but In Rock We Trust I think is a really cool album.
    Y&T had some videos on eMpTyVee and they're more respected overseas (east and west), but their fame in America was a fleeting one. Dave Meniketti has more in common with Ronnie Montrose than guys like EVH and Vai. And a great singing voice, too. Black Tiger, Mean Streak, IRWT...good shit.

Oh, and talking about the girls in Vixen still being hot, I saw that Bands Reunited, and that was absolutely my thought when I saw Roxi Petrucci.
    Mos' def'!

Never got into White Lion much, and not sure if these are all “hair metal”, but from that same era I liked:

Extreme: One of the most underrated bands of the 90’s IMO.

Cinderella: Had some good songs

Great White: Blues based rock n roll. I think the album with “Old Rose Motel” on it was a classic of the era (can’t remember the name of the album off the top of my head).

Night Ranger: I’ve seen them live a couple of times and they are always a lot of fun and top notch musicians.

Damn Yankees: The “supergroup” featuring Ted Nugent, Tommy Shaw, Jack Blades, and Michael Cartellone. Saw them live twice, both great shows. Their first album was a lot better than the 2nd.

Zebra: Agree with the other posters that they should have been much bigger than they were. I got to see them as an opening act once and they were great.

Quiet Riot: “Mental Health” was a great rocking record. After that it went downhill pretty fast though.

Twisted Sister: I liked the album with “We’re Not Gonna Take It” on it (can’t remember the title off hand).

Steve Sly

Alcatraz & Whitesnake

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Alcatrazz
    That first Alcatrazz album is probably the best album Yngwie Malmsteen has ever been involved in. Some good tracks on that one, as well as the Alcatrazz record. I have a promo poster for No Parole For Rock N Roll that I bought at one of the 3RP fests.

Banned
    That first Alcatrazz album is probably the best album Yngwie Malmsteen has ever been involved in. Some good tracks on that one, as well as the Alcatrazz record. I have a promo poster for No Parole For Rock N Roll that I bought at one of the 3RP fests.
    For some reason, the video for God Bless Video reminds me of the Asia video for Only Time Will Tell.

Agreed.
    The album after with Steve Vai has its moments also.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

For some reason, when "hair metal" is brought up, any band that came out in the '80s starts to get lumped in the category. Alcatrazz? Yep...those first two albums are awesome, but they certainly aren't hair metal. Y&T? Zebra? Those are hard rock bands with roots in the '70s (btw, to the poster that said they hadn't heard anything before In Rock We Trust........go rectify that immediately by getting Mean Streak and Black Tiger. Go on....do it....now).

Anyway, as for the thrust of the post, I have little use for White Lion. They always felt more like a bland power-ballad band to me. I'd have to say my favorite bands from the era that could fit into that Sunset Boulevard hair metal category would be Motley Crue (esp. the first two albums), Bulletboys, Cinderella (although I'd only include their first album in the category, and then mostly because of their image), Winger (who, btw, are still putting out the occasional album, and they are great)....eh, I'm sure there's a few others that aren't coming to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    Anyway, as for the thrust of the post, I have little use for White Lion. They always felt more like a bland power-ballad band to me. .
    Then you need to hear more.

Not saying they were the greatest band ever, but they were more than a "bland power-ballad band."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm not a fan of what's considered hair metal. To me, most (but not all) of it is really lame pop music layered with a distorted guitar played by douchebags who think acting like David Lee Roth is normal. Having said that, my opinion on some bands:

Motley Crue - I LOVE their first album, Too Fast For Love. They went downhill fast, but that first record is catchy as hell and has some balls. The 2nd album, Shout At The Devil, has some really good moments too, but the cheese factor kicks in. Shout At The Devil also has what I consider to be one of the worst cover-versions ever - The Beatles' Helter Skelter. I actually own these on CD.

Ratt - Not as lame as some think. I don't feel the need to get any of their stuff on CD, but I remember the first full length album wasn't too bad. Round and Round is a classic hit of the era, and I remember another song that was pretty good - Lack of Communication. The singer has a really bad voice.

Cinderella - I always said this band was "born" either 10 years too early or 10 years too late. Glam rock with a touch of the blues, they had some balls. Their image was retarded and their name didn't help matters either. Recently picked up a comp for cheap and it's pretty good.

Poison - A few catchy songs, never owned anything and never will, but if someone game me a compilation, I wouldn't throw it out.

White Lion - Absolute shit.

Quiet Riot - The album Metal Health was pretty good, but they got real cheesy real fast.

Zebra/Twisted Sister/Alcatrazz - definitely not hair metal.

Y&T - First few albums are great. I thought In Rock We Trust wasn't very good, it was a lame attempt at going commercial.