Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: White Lion And Other '80s Hair Metal

Funny, I can't see any redeeming qualities in Poison. No musicianship, and just come across as a bunch of douchebags.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Every Rose Has its Thorn.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Funny, I can't see any redeeming qualities in Poison. No musicianship, and just come across as a bunch of douchebags.
    obviously you'e never met Bret Michaels in person, especially in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    obviously you'e never met Bret Michaels in person, especially in recent years.
    I've seen plenty of what he's about on those stupid "dating" shows he did on VH1. Guy's a scumbag.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I've seen plenty of what he's about on those stupid "dating" shows he did on VH1. Guy's a scumbag.
    whatever, that is TV. I met him once after a concert in Atlantic City and he was one of the nicest, most gracious musicians I've ever met. Even hooked up me with a guitar pic.

Bret Michaels for President

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    whatever, that is TV. I met him once after a concert in Atlantic City and he was one of the nicest, most gracious musicians I've ever met. Even hooked up me with a guitar pic.
    He is a nice guy. I first met him in early '87 and I was at their very first video shoot -- "Cry Tough" -- at The Palace in Hollywood, CA. I was a teen and they were all cool back then. They had wild parties at their apartment just off the Sunset strip. Bret gave my friend a bunch of items from his collection at that point. Some killer stuff he has to this day. In '97 I saw Bret and we chatted about those old days and he wanted to know if he still had those things and I told them he definitely still has them.

Today's Playlist

Here is what I am listening to right now while working at home:

Why TF are you here, Gruno?

Ask Me To Leave!

Why TF are you here, Gruno?
    Haha! You mean in this thread or PE itself?

You don't like the playlist???

If someone started a "current pop" thread, I would have some great playlists to post in there.

Most would laugh at my prog playlist -- if I had a prog playlist

Nah, I mean on this forum!

No problem with the playlist, and I'm familiar with your musical taste by now. It just cracks me up that you hang out here.

Not that I want you to leave, of course, I just find it funny.

From all accounts, Bret Michales is a nice enough guy. But that doesn't make him any kind of musician, songwriter, or singer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    From all accounts, Bret Michales is a nice enough guy. But that doesn't make him any kind of musician, songwriter, or singer.
    I'm starting to think less of Brett due to his reality shows. I don't think he ever intended to find true love, or stay with his baby mama; he just wanted his face on tv. Btw, I saw the remastered version of Look What The Cat Dragged In at Wal-Mart, and bought it cause of the price($9.99) and the cover; they aren't bad looking chicks.

Winger had some great moments. Damn good muso's right there.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Motley Crüe did just about the greatest rock autobiography ever so I have a soft spot for them up through Dr. Feelgood or so. I'm also not above the occasional 80s era Bon Jovi or Def Leppard track. A lot of the rest comes across as a bad imitation of Roth era Van Halen without the sense of irony to me so I generally listen to Roth era Van Halen when I crave that sort of thing.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

House of Lords

One of my favorite hair bands came in at the end of the game: House of Lords.

They came out in 1988 and had some good albums into the 90s. Greg Giuffria was the keyboard player and had some other Giuffria members. The lead singer, James Christian, is one of my all-time favorite singers. He has a lot of gritty soul in them vocals, I say! They are still releasing music and playing out. Although, I believe James is the only original member in the band these days. I saw these guys open for Nelson back in the day and they buried Nelson in performance. I went to a party for one of the HoL shows and have some video footage I shot of it in 1990 or about. I need to find that and post it.

Check out some of their music.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I'm starting to think less of Brett due to his reality shows.
    Exactly. Guy comes off like a total asshole with that crap.

Yeah, I know it's TV, but no one forced him to do it, and he did it more than once.

He might be a great guy at meet 'n' greets, but he plays an asshole on TV.

Exactly. Guy comes off like a total asshole with that crap.

Yeah, I know it's TV, but no one forced him to do it, and he did it more than once.

He might be a great guy at meet 'n' greets, but he plays an asshole on TV.
    I don't hold much weight with the musician off stage. Usually doesn't affect how I view their music.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I don't hold much weight with the musician off stage. Usually doesn't affect how I view their music.
    Add his TV persona with the vapidity of their music, and it's hard to take them seriously.

There are many better artists in the genre, IMO.

Add his TV persona with the vapidity of their music, and it's hard to take them seriously.

There are many better artists in the genre, IMO.
    I agree there are many others better in the genre; look at my playlist for many right there

I still stand by my comment, "I don't hold much weight with the musician off stage. Usually doesn't affect how I view their music." If you don't like Poison's music and don't like Bret Michaels away from his music, then keep on moving right along as there won't be anything to see there of interest.

In general I despise 80s, Hair/Glam/Metal. More than anything I just hated that image. I'm pretty sure that among all those bands there were some great musicians and some great songs. But the videos and the image turned me off. I was a kid and a teen throughout the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, The Who run during those golden decades. So the thought of listening to a bunch of pouty posers in makeup just turned my stomach.

In the last 10 years or so I've been a little kinder to the whole scene. I agree that Van Halen pretty much kicked off the whole genre, but they were light years better than all their imitators. For some time I'd been hearing/reading all the praise that Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" was getting. I always liked the title track. I bought it, gave a shot. I got rid of it within a week. I hated it. It was crap. I liked the title track but the rest was just generic, 80s pop/rock with a little attitude and tattoos. What a disappointment. What was I expecting?
    Last edited by Vic2012; 12-10-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I'm not a fan of what's considered hair metal. To me, most (but not all) of it is really lame pop music layered with a distorted guitar played by douchebags who think acting like David Lee Roth is normal. Having said that, my opinion on some bands:

Motley Crue - I LOVE their first album, Too Fast For Love. They went downhill fast, but that first record is catchy as hell and has some balls. The 2nd album, Shout At The Devil, has some really good moments too, but the cheese factor kicks in. Shout At The Devil also has what I consider to be one of the worst cover-versions ever - The Beatles' Helter Skelter. I actually own these on CD.

Ratt - Not as lame as some think. I don't feel the need to get any of their stuff on CD, but I remember the first full length album wasn't too bad. Round and Round is a classic hit of the era, and I remember another song that was pretty good - Lack of Communication. The singer has a really bad voice.

Cinderella - I always said this band was "born" either 10 years too early or 10 years too late. Glam rock with a touch of the blues, they had some balls. Their image was retarded and their name didn't help matters either. Recently picked up a comp for cheap and it's pretty good.

Poison - A few catchy songs, never owned anything and never will, but if someone game me a compilation, I wouldn't throw it out.

White Lion - Absolute shit.

Quiet Riot - The album Metal Health was pretty good, but they got real cheesy real fast.

Zebra/Twisted Sister/Alcatrazz - definitely not hair metal.

Y&T - First few albums are great. I thought In Rock We Trust wasn't very good, it was a lame attempt at going commercial.
    Wow. You and I come from two different universes. Twisted Sister was DEFINITELY hair-metal, as was Cinderella. I thought White Lion totally blew away Poison and the Crue.

My favourite of that era was probably Whitesnake, just a couple of albums. The two DLR albums with Vai on them were pretty killer, as was Blue Murder (Sykes' band after he left Whitesnake). Then there was Jake E. Lee's Badlands, which was a nice raw three-piece band. Plus, Mr. Big was a great band, as was Extreme, at least for a while.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Wow. You and I come from two different universes. Twisted Sister was DEFINITELY hair-metal, as was Cinderella. I thought White Lion totally blew away Poison and the Crue.
    Completely agree.

Plus, Mr. Big was a great band, as was Extreme, at least for a while.
    Agree again - except that Extreme's last album was fantastic.

Today's Playlist

Continuing the "listen while I work" thang -- with 36-40 coming in with the late 80s into the 90s:

Banned

My favourite of that era was probably Whitesnake, just a couple of albums. The two DLR albums with Vai on them were pretty killer, as was Blue Murder (Sykes' band after he left Whitesnake). Then there was Jake E. Lee's Badlands, which was a nice raw three-piece band. Plus, Mr. Big was a great band, as was Extreme, at least for a while.
    Badlands was a quartet, not a trio. I don't think a hair band would have songs such as Captain Howdy and Burn In Hell? If you call Twisted Sister a "hair metal", you might as well call Kiss and the New York Dolls one, too.

[QUOTE=Mikhael;17662]My as was Blue Murder (Sykes' band after he left Whitesnake).

Totally forgot about Blue Murder. They were great although not really hair metal IMO.

Steve Sly